Nightmare: Thornlands

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I always thought Maldora was just plain and wickedly evil from his own heart, not posessed by a demon or an apostle.

Or was that Lor Malgorian...

Ah, man, I remember when I chased Maldora into the Temple pit with a torch. He hated light, apparently ;)

Good old dynamic quests...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Evaan said:
I always thought Maldora was just plain and wickedly evil from his own heart, not posessed by a demon or an apostle.

Or was that Lor Malgorian...

Ah, man, I remember when I chased Maldora into the Temple pit with a torch. He hated light, apparently ;)

Good old dynamic quests...

Lor was given loads of power and eventually became evil. I'm not really sure about Maldora; I dun know where people always find crap like this >_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Long story short (at least, as I understand it)

- In time before time: Loreldian's, the first race, discover the power of Fate
- The Wars of Fate begin, nearly unweaving reality itself
- Pathos becomes the leader of the Loreldian faction determined to banish their own race from the world before they destroy it.
- Battle ensues with the opposing faction, who believe they should stay in the world, and rule as gods over it.
- Pathos and friends win, the remainder of the opposing faction is forcibly banished from reality. These are known forever after as "The Lost"
- Pathos assigns three Loreldians to stay behind as the guardians of the world, whose job it will be to prevent future races from repeating their mistake, and prevent the return of "The Lost":
Felewyn of Order, who creates the elves
Urdual of Balance, who creates the dwarves
Torkalath of Chaos, who "volunteers" his services with an ominous prophecy, and creates the humans
- Eventually each of the gods assign themselves Apostles from among their chosen peoples.
- Things are determined to be too orderly at some point in history, thus Torkalath picks some random farm boy named Aniken *cough* I mean Jiro, to be his apostle. Jiro is given all sorts of nasty powers, and the Orcs, and promptly picks up the name Lor Malgoriand, "The Shadow Bringer", after drowning an elven city by displacing an ocean.
- During "The Great War" Lor Malgoriand does his job far too well, and threatens to bring destruction to all of Daragoth. After some coaxing from the other gods, Torkalath reluctantly revokes his power.
- But instead of losing his powers, Lor Malgoriand becomes more powerful than ever, for it is revealed that Lor Malgoriand is not a servant of Torkalath at all, but instead possessed of the powers of "The Lost", trying to re-establish themselves in the world. (ie. your classic elder gods/great old ones conflict)
- The Apsotles are sent to stop him, but Lor Malgoriand actually slays one of them, something previously believed to be impossible.
- Felewyn comes down and scatters Lor Malgoriand to the four winds, breaking her legendary sword in the process.

There is of course a bunch of drama in-between there that I'm glossing over, including the story of Lanethan (who eventually becomes the apostle of Pathos) and Idlewild (the apostle slain by Lor Malgoriand, who Lanethan attempts to rescue from oblivion, post mortem), and a bunch of other related subplots - but that's the gist of the central mythology, I think.

In anycase, we've upgraded Maldora from, basically, not having any relation to the mythology, to a powerful mage(/vampire/ninja/cannibal/viking) who's come out of no where claiming to be the resurrection of Lor Malgoriand, and is attempting to gather various factions of the scattered Malgoriand armies together for a new offensive. He's also, apparently, acquired a floating fortress, a type of magical battleship not seen since "The Great War". Despite his impressive power, Maldora has not yet managed to get all the former armies of Malgoriand to buy his claims, and is still trying to assemble his armies to retake the throne of the dreaded Shadow Bringer. However, his power and influence are growing steadily, and more of his true nature should be revealed as the game world expands, eventually leading to apostle quests, the return of Lor Malgoriand, and other epic stuff.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Awesome story... I used to have the whole thing copied in a .doc file back in the 1.01 days, but now I wonder where I can find the story and mythology about master-sword.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Lanethan is the only linky I have. Apparently there are more, but meh. Great story that gives a lot of background ;-)

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Long story short (at least, as I understand it)

... Lanethan (who eventually becomes the apostle of Pathos) and Idemark (the apostle slain by Lor Malgoriand, who Lanethan attempts to rescue from oblivion, post mortem)...

Fixed.

But yep that's the gist of the storyline.

To answer some other questions: Maldora was indeed originally a vampire that I portrayed through dynamic quests. However, he was not in any way linked to the mythos of the world, and I wholeheartedly support Thothie's storyline.