Nightmare: Thornlands

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So... What would Thornlands look like if Lor Malgoriand made a comeback? His dream - your nightmare. :twisted:

In an effort to make up for the fact that this month's patch doesn't really have all that much (most of the effort was dedicated to trimming the media files to allow for more future items, and well, I really was away a lot this month), I've added a "nightmare" or "darkside" style map, as suggested in yonder thread.

Screenies - click on thumbs to enlarge:

nightmare1_thumb.jpg
Just in time for x-mass!

nightmare2_thumb.jpg
...or Halloween, as it were.

The idea is that, eventually, you'll need a special "nightmare realm" key to get to these maps, but I'm releasing nightmare_thornlands early, as a teaser. Feel free to add it to your custommaps cvar.

Mind you, this map isn't recompiled - it's just ripent + wally. I did make some effort to optimize it over the original thornlands though - less of the monsters are tied to global and wandering around at map start, so it should lag quite a bit less.

nightmare_thornlands is designed for level 28+ characters, although a large group of 20+ should hold their own alright. It will probably be the least difficult of the nightmare maps.

In addition to snow and blood everywhere, together with severely upgraded monsters, in some cases, monsters never seen before, there are new treasure chests. Like many treasure chests in MSC, they do not always contain the same items. (On a side note: I noticed at least two busted treasure chests in the old Thornlands, I'm debating weather or not to fix them.)

NOTE: To save time on DL, the music in nightmare_thornlands is borrowed from CotBG and MS_SNOW - so if you do not already have these maps installed, you may not hear all the music.

REQUIRES THE "NOV 1st" 2006 BETA-PACK (or later) from http://www.thothie.com/ms

There is currently no self-installer, tis a 4MB rar:
YE NIGHTMARE DOWNLOAD

PS. Don't look up. ;)

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ja, no way around that. ;) It is nightmare_thornlands.bsp.

...best I could do is give you a server-side option to convert the map to and from nightmare mode via batch file, but I figure rather pointless, as it turned out to be with the old MS 1.35 "Hard_xxx" maps.

I hope to have nightmare versions of all the vanilla maps eventually, but not anytime soon.

edit: This puppy is now on the content server as well.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
is this what you needed the door for? or did u not add the door yet? ( we have to go to edana and changelevel in console to get there?)

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The door I need for two things:

1) The eventual "nightmare" realm keys that will go with this will create a door that only the holder of the key can see. He can use said to start a vote for the associated nightmare map. Nightmare realm doors will appear on maps that have nightmare variants for this with the proper key. (I've not yet decided weather to make one key for them all, or one key for each map.)

2) To add doors to maps that I do not have the source for. This will include Deralia_Hall, amongst other maps I intend convert over.

I probably would have had the nightmare key system up by now, but again, I've just not been home much this month, and I just finally got the door I need two days ago.

Oedipus

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
I didn't like the idea of 2 version at first but all that changed when i went to the book chest that was just mean! Great fun

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I'm sorry I have to say this Thothie... but it isn't November you; it isn't that much closer to mooching off relatives for a massive meal with dessert :(

Still another two days until Nov. 1st even :D

snake

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Very nice, can't wait to see a nightmarish variant of one of the more challenging maps, nightmare_calruin maybe :)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
OKIES!! Now... I would like to see a nightmare_daragoth or some such!! I LOVE Nightmare_Thornlands :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'd say get a Nightmare version of Edana, Helena, or SFor out (Sfor of course would have to have the door to Undameal open >_>)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Haha :D

That would rock though, to have a new UNGODLY POWERFUL BOSS to fight!! One that would be suitable in 1 v four-jesters battle :)

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How much hp does Jester have anyway? Are we talking about, like , 600? 650? 700 maybe?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I know he had over 700 when his character was accidentally copied to the STEAM_ID_PENDING slot - before we nipped the clone problem in the bud - which is quite a ways back.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Mine's one level lower and probably higher in a lot of stats..

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I've gotta update my sig sometime :)

It is innacurate to my vivi char now-a-days; and I feel like pasting my main char's top attributes now :D

Teh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hmph

My nightmare.wad doesn't work, just like when my forest.wad wasn't working, and, Hello all! Tis' been a while since i've played.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis right there in the archive, there's no self installer yet, so be sure you drop it in the right folder. (half-life)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I got an idea for the story of theese nightmare maps...the nightmare maps are from a distant future, where Lor Malgoriand controls Daragoth (EoL)
you could evnetually end up there from the same guy that casts you to old helena

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
More likely Lor Malgorians ever growing powers disrupt the balance in the land of daragoth, creating some sort of alternate dimension

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i like gurluas' idea better, since...if i'm not just smoking something right now - thats how the lore goes anyways?