Nightmare: Thornlands

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I like my idea better :( You go to sfor, do things to release Undamael, then you black out and wake up in nightmare_sfor

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
can someone please tell me what this community has against skeletons and undead? whenever i mention "maybe i should add [insert undead here] to [insert map here]" everyone says "theres way too man undead already!" ...your point being?

</rant>

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
maybe they want abnormal space cows (cows = Gurluas)..

Or cave monster dogcats (dogcats = Gurluas again)..

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
90% of bosses are undead... 10% are orcs... most maps are full of skeletons or the like...that is way Nashalrath will have a minimal number of skeletons, it will focus on demons and horrors instead

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
90% of bosses are undead... 10% are orcs...

Spider queen
Bandit bosses
Maldora
Talgornath
Goblin king
Voldar
Spider queen #2 (calruin)
Iron spider
Iron boar
Djin Ji-ax
Venevus
Orc warlord
Slithar
Keledros v1
Kodiak
bears?
Elecrtic slime
Huge aggressive wild boar

vs

Calrain
Garonhroth
Ice bone lord
Flesheater
Keledros v2
Izuluz
Geric

I think you get my point.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Maldora, Venevus and Slithar are technically undead...at least Maldora is

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Maldora is a vampire, keledros and venevus has gray skin...looks undead too...slithar looks ... unnatural too

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
They have grey skin because:

1. They're old
2. They probably don't tan that much
3. Magic takes a toll on your natural look

Slithar looks unnatural because:

HE'S A FUCKING SNAKE GUY

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Maldora's a vampire? :|

He's not undead either - just a little "possessed"... (Okay, a lot possessed.)

can someone please tell me what this community has against skeletons and undead? whenever i mention "maybe i should add [insert undead here] to [insert map here]" everyone says "theres way too man undead already!" ...your point being?
I think the issue that players have with the undead, especially the newer ones, is the Golden Axe... Cuz they'll be battling valiantly to get their way through Calruin, then some l337 guy with a Golden Axe waltzes in and kills everything before they can say "WTF?"

They generally don't realize that the same guy could probably kill everything in there with his sword just as quickly, if not for the forgetting how to stay dead the undead in there tend to do.

I dunno about undead bosses, but we do seem to have an excess of skeletons. ;) - But at least they don't all look alike anymore, and some of them actually behave a bit different than others.

...and while it may not be 90%, I suspect the majority of our monsters are undead. If not the bosses.

Granted, if you crack open any D&D monster manual, at least 30% of your monsters are going to be demonic or undead.

Wow, are you calling the electric slime a boss?
Try fighting one when yer level 8. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lanethan told me there was no mythology for Maldora. ><

I also don't have any entries for Maldora in my Daragoth stories collection. :\

Meh, I just cleared the Maldora plotline with him too, ya think he woulda mentioned that...

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Well, no mythology, but from what I've heard, in the old days, Lanethan used to go in-game under the name "Maldora" so now and then. He described this Maldora as a vampire necromancer. He had developer commands to spawn skeletons and he would attack Edana. This was one of those fabled "dynamic quests".

Since Maldora was a vampire, he was supposed to be invincible. So Lanethan was basically walking around with godmode, and whenever a player would hit him with a stake (read: a torch), he would press a key that would instakill himself.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, could be a vampire necromancer demi-god as a result of his "possession" I suppose, so it doesn't fubar anything in the new Lor Malgoriand storyline anyways - other than, well, give us another undead boss to complain about.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Took me a while to find this quote:
Lanethan said:
A dynamic quest was run ingame by a GM (in the case of Maldora, myself). This was back in the days when we still had game master control, before the great exploit-fest. A dynamic quest was a quest that required a player to be playing a monster/badguy which the players had to contend with. In this case I played Maldora, a vampire necromancer who summoned his own skeletons (something which was impossible to do as a player at the time) using GM controls, then controlled them through speech and led an attack against Edana. A group of four or five players were on the server at the time, and they banded together to kill my skeletons and then eventually to defeat Maldora (he had to be 'staked' by hitting him with a torch and/or shooting him in the heart with a bow, something I simulated by turning on invulnerability until a player hit me with said weapon and then instakilling myself when that happened).

Dynamic Quests were always my favorite part of that era of MS. Other dynamic quests included 'Master Guld,' the travelling martial artist who gave lectures on technique and focus, which, while purely a roleplaying situation, was also quite fun.

megatracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
Gurluas said:
90% of bosses are undead... 10% are orcs...

Spider queen
Bandit bosses
Maldora
Talgornath
Goblin king
Voldar
Spider queen #2 (calruin)
Iron spider
Iron boar
Djin Ji-ax
Venevus
Orc warlord
Slithar
Keledros v1
Kodiak
bears?
Elecrtic slime
Huge aggressive wild boar

vs

Calrain
Garonhroth
Ice bone lord
Flesheater
Keledros v2
Izuluz
Geric

I think you get my point.
wheres atholo :oldcry: the olympic guys need love too.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Took me a while to find this quote:
Lanethan said:
A dynamic quest was run ingame by a GM (in the case of Maldora, myself). This was back in the days when we still had game master control, before the great exploit-fest. A dynamic quest was a quest that required a player to be playing a monster/badguy which the players had to contend with. In this case I played Maldora, a vampire necromancer who summoned his own skeletons (something which was impossible to do as a player at the time) using GM controls, then controlled them through speech and led an attack against Edana. A group of four or five players were on the server at the time, and they banded together to kill my skeletons and then eventually to defeat Maldora (he had to be 'staked' by hitting him with a torch and/or shooting him in the heart with a bow, something I simulated by turning on invulnerability until a player hit me with said weapon and then instakilling myself when that happened).

Dynamic Quests were always my favorite part of that era of MS. Other dynamic quests included 'Master Guld,' the travelling martial artist who gave lectures on technique and focus, which, while purely a roleplaying situation, was also quite fun.

i wish they could be incorporated again

in fact, said skeletons exists in 1.3 , unfortunally i discovered their secrets too late, all you had to do was to be named "Maldora" then the skeletons would perceive you as their master.

there were 2 editions, a weak mute edition
(monsters/lan_skeleton)
and a talking stronger edition
(monsters/lanskeleton)
(or vice versa...cant remember)

thothie remade them but they are made from scratch, means they wont respond to maldora as their master anymore for an instant.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
They will, if you have a certain item...