1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INFO Bug Reports NOV2015a

Discussion in 'Current Patch Discussion' started by Thothie, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Frost arrows always do 5 DOT, regardless of archery or ice level.

2. TheOysterHippopotami

TheOysterHippopotami Adventurer Source Developer Developer DarkTide RiP

Sep 6, 2009
    set_cbm is pretty glitchy. If you have any monsters with set_cbm on them all monsters will play combat music, not just the monster(s) with the add param. Also, if you encounter a different monster that also has set_cbm on it, but uses a different song, then it will override the previous set_cbm song and now all monsters will play the new combat music.

This occurs more often than not, but not 100% of the time. After a few battles, however, this always seems to happen.

It is possible that this is an alpha build problem, because that's where I encountered the glitch. I haven't tested to see if this also happens in the current version of MSC.

3. Thothie

Thothie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    WAI, but changed in the next patch.

Also WAI - set_cbm sets the combat music track for the player it encountered. The player will continue to use that for their combat music track until it is changed again (either by another set_cbm or a msarea_music_dynamnic).

Malachite likes this.
  4. TheOysterHippopotami

TheOysterHippopotami Adventurer Source Developer Developer DarkTide RiP

Sep 6, 2009
    so if i simply put something like set_cbm;bogus.mp3 on every monster I don't want to play combat music, then the players combat music track will be set to an mp3 that isn't in the music folder and therefore, no music will play?

Malachite likes this.
  5. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    The system is setup to just set the combat music up, so it'd be considerably simpler to use msarea_music_dynamic or mstrig_music in an area/event where you want the combat music to play, and add another with stop.mp3 with a long duration where/when you don't. Though, if you don't want combat music for the majority of the map, it's likely best not to use it at all. Like most such systems in other games, once it's set, it stays on, so long as the player remains in combat, and it'll use that track the next time the player enters combat (unless the mob initiating combat is flagged "set_not_musical" or some other event changes the setting).

Malachite likes this.
  6. greatguys1

greatguys1 Active Adventurer Developer Warriors of the North

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes
    For cleffects, in an update event for a tempent, if you create another tempent, then try to change a property for the updating tempent, the property change will fail.

Example:
    Code:
    { update_gib

cleffect tempent sprite "char_breath.spr" L_MY_POS setup_sprite

cleffect tempent set_current_prop fuser1 L_NEXT_UPDATE
    }
    fuser on the property won't change, and keeps it's previous value. I don't know if it changes for the new sprite though.

7. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Eh, there's no update event in this sprite creation line.

If you mean the update event stops - call it as a separate event, as it probably thinks you're trying to change the property on the updating tempent.

There are some odd things about update events though - I've run into instances where, for instance, an attachment's position couldn't be read from inside of it, so I had to constantly update a setvard outside of the update event, when I couldn't attach it to follow.

8. greatguys1

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes
    Those aren't quite what I mean. Say I do this instead:
    Code:
    { client_activate

cleffect tempent model $get_random_token(FX_MODELS) FX_ORIGIN setup_gib update_gib

}

{ setup_gib

//set props
        //...

cleffect tempent set_current_prop fuser1 420.69
    }

{ update_gib

cleffect tempent sprite "char_breath.spr" L_MY_POS setup_sprite

if ( game.tempent.fuser1 == 420.69 )
        {
            infomsg all "ayy" "lmao"

cleffect tempent set_current_prop fuser1 1.23 //I only want ayy lmao on the first update
        }
    }
    In the update gib, I also set up a sprite tempent. It's all need to do for the sprite, so I leave the update event out. I then check if the fuser on the gib is 420.69 as it was set in the setup_gib, then have it display the infomsg if it's still the original value. I only want the infomsg to show up on the first update event, so I change the fuser1 value. The fuser1 value is still 420.69 however, despite attempting to change it, so every frame, I get "ayy lmao" from the infomsg. It's because the command to do so is after I created another tempent.

Malachite likes this.
  9. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Little fuzzy right now, but I think one of a few things might be happening. So some things to try:

• Move the sprite creation cleffect command in the update event until after fuser1 is checked and set, as well as after any other set_current_prop commands in the update event (might be creating double-frame update).

• Should that fail, move the sprite creation cleffect command to its own event, with a 0.01 delay (again, due to above possibility).

Also, use the "dbg" command and "developer 5" to force the console to echo in the upper left, as infomsg stacks do strange things, invoking yet another client gl frame update. You can use the -condebug flag in the game launch options and it'll also echo to a log file in the half-life directory above, be it client or server side, in real time.

10. greatguys1

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes
    Sorry- Ive already worked around the problem by putting the sprite creation cleffect after the prop updates. I shouldve said that before so you didnt have to write all that. It was simply a bug report.

With the alpha build, it’s way too hard to find anything that uses dbg with all of the logs that go in the console. Infomsg is easy to write and i dont have to hunt for it.

Malachite likes this.
  11. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Yeah, apparently when the game makes a new frame inside a frame update, it gets confused as to what it's creating and updating in the double-fame update. Canna fix, so just keep it in mind. Maybe I'll add it to that Scripts_Read_Me.txt. Also beware that spawning a sprite every update frame, can make for a whole lotta sprites.

Malachite likes this.
  12. greatguys1

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes
    cleffect ce requires an extra parameter to be send in order for the previous one to work.

For example:
    Code:
    cleffect ce player ext_dmg_gb $quote(L_TEMPENT_POS)
    When pulling PARAM1 from ext_dmg_gb, oddly enough, it'll be equal to (0.00,0.00,0.00), still retaining the vector form, but the improper value.

If you do this however:
    Code:
    cleffect ce player ext_dmg_gb $quote(L_TEMPENT_POS) x
    PARAM1 from ext_dmg_gb will have the proper coordinates. I see this behavior also with sfx_wave:
    Code:
    cleffect ce player ext_ce_wave $quote(L_MY_POS) FX_TYPE x

13. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Known issue due to lazy parsing. Will fix eventually.

Malachite likes this.
  14. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Arthur and the Fletcher(not hendlekemp) share the same inventory at Helena. Buy an item at one, then it is gone from the other's shop.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Malachite likes this.
  15. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    The north maul stun attack always does sub 10 damage.