Bug Reports SEP2013a (+Underpath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikadze321

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: Bug Reports SEP2013a

There seems to be a new problem with bloodrose that hasn't been there before. The Kodiak never seems to drop any bear claws, so you cannot proceed on the map. When returning to the elf, you have nothing to show to him and he just offers the quest again, but there is no more kodiak.

When you're charging the dark staff, the lights on it are now on the back of the head, and not in the eye sockets where they should be.

And not sure if bug or WAD - Maldora (final boss) in lodagond 4 was invisible and much more annoying than usual during my last play-through. All the previous times I ran the map, he was visible and seemingly much easier to kill. Is it a bug or is there a condition that makes him like that?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Lol @ Maldora going invisible. His speed hax is way too much, perhaps he increased the value a little more and started teleporting instead of running. :roll:

I heard about that bloodrose issue too, weird stuff tbh, haven't tested it though. Pretty much makes Bloodrose unplayable.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.

kamikadze321 said:
When you're charging the dark staff, the lights on it are now on the back of the head, and not in the eye sockets where they should be.

I've got a feeling it has to do with how transparencies with certain things are currently being handled as seen here, here, and here.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Can't duplicate either of those issues on this system, but I know that either Valve or AMD has screwed with the rendering order for some graphics cards, and things get particularly screwy when dealing with mixed texture types.

(Examples would also include the Felewyn blade not glowing in holy mode, the Ice wings having no wings, lava root having chunks missing instead of flaming bits, cave ogres not having glowing bits, etc.)

Maldora does not have an invisibility mode that I can recall... He may turn additive at some point, which may combine with the above for issues - especially if he picks up a glow shell from another effect while additive.

As for Bloodrose, think I fixed that a month or two ago, but neglected to record it, need to double check. (edit: Yeah, that's working now.)

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Can't duplicate either of those issues on this system, but I know that either Valve or AMD has screwed with the rendering order for some graphics cards, and things get particularly screwy when dealing with mixed texture types.

(Examples would also include the Felewyn blade not glowing in holy mode, the Ice wings having no wings, lava root having chunks missing instead of flaming bits, cave ogres not having glowing bits, etc.)

I've got an AMD gpu, so I guess that'd explain that, then.

Thothie said:
As for Bloodrose, think I fixed that a month or two ago, but neglected to record it, need to double check. (edit: Yeah, that's working now.)

I just tried on RKS #1, and no luck. The Kodiak didn't drop the bear claw.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Yes... While I did indeed fix this a month or two ago, it's been considerably longer than that since our last patch. :oops:

kamikadze321

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Maldora does not have an invisibility mode that I can recall... He may turn additive at some point, which may combine with the above for issues - especially if he picks up a glow shell from another effect while additive.
Not sure what any of that means, but he sure as hell was basically invisible for the entire boss battle.

The voting menu bug is getting pretty annoying, there is a pretty high chance of getting it even if alone on the server.

In other news, what's the progress on hall of deralia, underkeep, shrinkspell? Just curious.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Also fixed that, I think...

Underkeep got hijacked by Oyster's project, and is thus one of eight maps likely lost for eternity... Shrinkspell is pretty much all scripting, but of course, that'd require I didn't have anything else to script for - and that hasn't happened in almost a decade... Could say the same of Hall of Deralia, save that it'd require even more scripting, and we don't actually have the source for the map we intended to use... Might be simpler to remake it. Granted, Hall of Deralia's primary purpose was to deal with Titles, so it might be somewhat superfluous to release it without the Title system in place, though there's some lore and mission connections to be rigged up there as well.

Hrmmm... The votemap, kodiak drop, and Olof are all server side fixes, so if I removed some of the client side stuff I've done, I could, technically, fix those issues with a server-side patch. Think that'd also add the changes to the damage point system I've made without further issue. But the big bugs - the character wipe incidents, and a major sploit that came up, I've not fixed, and the former requires a client side patch.

kamikadze321

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Is it possible to go back to the good old days when it was possible to switch maps without having to disconnect or close the game?

Oyster's project
What is that? What did you do with the maps, Oyster??

and that hasn't happened in almost a decade
Too many bugs? (Thanks Valve)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

kamikadze321 said:
Is it possible to go back to the good old days when it was possible to switch maps without having to disconnect or close the game?
You'd have to go back before Steam, and even in WON MS, we got memory dellocation errors during transitions - often even single player. It was only a few years ago we rigged the game up to automatically disconnect, but Valve broke that, and our work around their breaking it, isn't cutting it.

kamikadze321 said:
Oyster's project
What is that? What did you do with the maps, Oyster??
Meh, Oysterhippopotami took nearly every map in the mapping contest, plus some others, and claimed them as part of an overlapping eight map project that he demands be released all at the same time. Meaning, I'd have to put the whole game on hold for years to script up eight maps in sequence (never having scripted up more than two a month, even during the good ol days.) So, unless I have several months with no releasable maps on my plate (which hasn't happened in my history here), or he learns to script, or one or more of those mapper's reclaims their work from him, all those maps are in limbo.

kamikadze321 said:
and that hasn't happened in almost a decade
Too many bugs? (Thanks Valve)
There's that, but as long as someone has a releasable map I have to script for and/or populate, that tends to be where my priorities go. As I just mentioned, I pretty much always have multiples of such maps on my task list, and my personal rate of production has come to snail's pace, as of late, compared to what it once was.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

I'm not sure if I've reported this or not, but I've been getting some really weird damage numbers with small arms since awhile ago.
I've also noticed it on my alt recently with the Rusty Dagger, the (whichever one is req6-ish), the Dagger Royale, and the P.Hugger.

It doesn't seem to happen if I stick to charge attacks, or even partial charge attacks.

Edit: As a side note, it seems to happen much less when Oyster is not afk

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Meh, Oysterhippopotami took nearly every map in the mapping contest, plus some others, and claimed them as part of an overlapping eight map project that he demands be released all at the same time. Meaning, I'd have to put the whole game on hold for years to script up eight maps in sequence (never having scripted up more than two a month, even during the good ol days.) So, unless I have several months with no releasable maps on my plate (which hasn't happened in my history here), or he learns to script, or one or more of those mapper's reclaims their work from him, all those maps are in limbo.

The sooner you work on it, the sooner it'll get done and in-game ;P I've seen it from start to finish, and the work and time he put on it only makes me, and many others, want to see it in-game even more. It'd be a huge addition to the game, and if all the great ideas he's shared with me were implemented, then it may breathe new life into the mod. Either way, I'd like to see it in-game some day soon

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Borya said:
I'm not sure if I've reported this or not, but I've been getting some really weird damage numbers with small arms since awhile ago.
I've also noticed it on my alt recently with the Rusty Dagger, the (whichever one is req6-ish), the Dagger Royale, and the P.Hugger.

It doesn't seem to happen if I stick to charge attacks, or even partial charge attacks.

Edit: As a side note, it seems to happen much less when Oyster is not afk
I thought maybe we messed with the seed table, and thus restored it from the 2005 version, but I didn't notice any differences (though it's really too long to check visually). Can't think of how being AFK would mess with this - unlike map voting, it doesn't process through the other players or anything, or even report to them.

Lucifer Majiskus said:
The sooner you work on it, the sooner it'll get done and in-game ;P I've seen it from start to finish, and the work and time he put on it only makes me, and many others, want to see it in-game even more. It'd be a huge addition to the game, and if all the great ideas he's shared with me were implemented, then it may breathe new life into the mod. Either way, I'd like to see it in-game some day soon
It's a nice sentiment, but really, I'd have to put everything else in the game on hold a year or more, including all the people who have maps that are ready to be released - and that estimate is based on my old MSC productivity rate - it's probably more realistic to say several years at the rate I'm going these days. I don't think MSC would survive that, as it'd quickly become evident to any would be content donators, that there's no point (and in fact, I believe several such have already made this assumption). Additionally, it would bar any of the more sweeping fundamental changes that Oyster himself is always clamoring for.

Thus, as long as something else is in the pipe and ready for a quicker release (and to date there always has been), I don't see how I can justify even touching it. The only hope for it is to either release it in parts, or to get another scripter who can work on it without putting the whole mod on hold.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Can't think of how being AFK would mess with this - unlike map voting, it doesn't process through the other players or anything, or even report to them.

The afk part is likely just a really odd coincidence. I was telling Oyster about the problem, and was trying to reproduce it and having little to no luck. But as soon as he went afk it started happening a bit more.

To elaborate on the issue though, it only seems to happen if I'm trying to swing said weapons as quickly as possible. I have autocharge turned on when this happens [which means I'm mashing the mouse button as fast as I can]. I haven't really seen it happen with autocharge off and just holding down +attack.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Okay, let's start taking some random stabs at this, no pun intended:
1) Is it only daggers?
2) Is it only after you've used the power speed attack?
3) Are you using +uber or some similar script alias as your primary attack?

So far, my only thought is it may have something to do with the new system where you can partially charge your attacks, but I don't see how the script could cause it, as it should only make an adjustment if your charge meter is at least at 25%, which seems unlikely when you are rapidly clicking as described. I suppose it could also have something to do with the speed attack changing the registered attack data.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Okay, let's start taking some random stabs at this, no pun intended:
1) Is it only daggers?
2) Is it only after you've used the power speed attack?
3) Are you using +uber or some similar script alias as your primary attack?.

1) This is the only thing I've noticed it with, but I can test other weapons if ya want
2) It's both with and without the speed ability
3) I think it's +attack that I'm using

I'll try messing around with seeing if other equipment will also do this next time I pop on

Smoker

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

You can pay money for that someone is asking to change name but it won't be succeeded.

I paid a million by a mistake but couldn't change vibty's name or mine, didn't mean to do this.

http://www.twitch.tv/rednamida/c/3719585

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

If you wanna request a rollback for that feel free...

It seems like for some reason he can detect the guy who is with you, but not you... Player indexing musta messed up for some dern reason. If you were to do it again, I'd suggest doing it alone... But I can't figure what woulda caused this. :\ If, as the video suggests, your friend tried to change his name first, it looks like he never got a valid name from him, and thus is still hung up on that.

Borya said:
1) This is the only thing I've noticed it with, but I can test other weapons if ya want
2) It's both with and without the speed ability
3) I think it's +attack that I'm using

I'll try messing around with seeing if other equipment will also do this next time I pop on
I was thinking maybe post speed ability, it might still have an issue due to the registration change. Ya might try duplicating it with some of the faster non-smallarm weapons - like the Torkalath Blade, and the Blood Blades, should ya have them laying about. Maybe some sort of lag issue with the speed of attack.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

While playing m2_quest with someone else today I noticed a quiver in a certain location. However, no matter which one of us tried to +use it, the following error message would keep showing:
dKd3WN7.jpg

I figured that it might have been a freak bug, so I restarted the map. This time, however, the quiver didn't show up! I pressed +use anyway and the message showed again (pic). Spamming +use spammed the error message (another pic). Clearly, the quiver entity was there, but it was still broken.

I checked the map's entity table and noticed that the spawning of the quiver isn't actually always supposed to happen. However, the way it has been set up seems to break the quiver — after all, regardless of whether it's supposed to spawn or not, it really always is there, but not functional.

A trigger_once targets:
  • an ms_monsterspawn called spawn_sylphsec1 which in turn spawns at least two gold bags
  • a trigger_relay, also called spawn_sylphsec1, which has a certain chance of triggering an ms_npc named npc_exta_arrows — the actual quiver
npc_exta_arrows is tied to the same ms_monsterspawn as the gold bags, i.e. spawn_sylphsec1, but because it has "spawnstart" set to "1", it won't spawn until triggered itself, even though its spawn area is already active.

...or at least, I guess that was the idea. I guess this entity (or rather: the script) breaks because its spawn area is triggered while the actual quiver NPC isn't always allowed to spawn, or something.

I've come up with an easy workaround though:
Add another ms_monsterspawn and name it (for example) spawn_sylphsec2. Then, have the trigger_relay target spawn_sylphsec2 and change the spawn area name of the quiver ms_npc to spawn_sylphsec2. Lastly, set "spawnstart" to "0" on this entity.

This fix, which fortunately requires only one extra entity, works just fine. I copied m2_quest and RipEnted the above fix and whenever the quiver would show up, +use would result in my char getting 30 climbing arrows (just once, as one would expect), and whenever the quiver wouldn't show up, spamming +use would do nothing at all. As far as I can tell, the quiver NPC really isn't there when it... isn't there (although some way to debug NPC spawning like this would be nice :wink: ).

Interesting script by the way. I don't think I've seen it documented anywhere. Are there other projectile types one can spawn? And is there a way to change the size of the stack?
Oh one more thing about this quiver NPC: Its "title" key doesn't seem to work. I see it's set as "a|Quiver of Climbing Arrows" in m2_quest, but when you look at the quiver, it never actually is identified. I guess this is because it doesn't have a hitbox.

Also, something about catacombs: When you first enter the room where you fight the Hollow One, your screen gets obstructed by a flashing image that says "SEIZURE [something]". I can't really properly read what it says because of the flashing. Is this intentional (if so: ...wwwwhhhhyyyy...?) or does this trigger belong in the map's secret room instead?

And another unrelated thing: Could you please consider flagging Captain Ron (oceancrossing) immune to player damage? Same question for the cannon.

Another consideration: Climbing arrows. Could they stick around a fair bit longer?

...and while I'm posting bugs/problems, here is another one, this time about b_castle. The room before the boss chamber is accessible only through a teleporter and this particular room has only one info_teleport_destination (named bodyguard_room). Now this wouldn't normally be a problem—players stuck inside each other can jump to get free—but the destination is pretty close to the ceiling, making 'unstuck-jumping' impossible. Could you lower the destination point or (better yet) add a bunch more?

A similar thing happens in deraliasewers, by the way. Here the offending room is the room where you fight the first group of mummies (not the 'boss labyrinth' mind you) and the sole info_teleport_destination (named mbossdest) is again too close to the ceiling.

Some other weird occurrences:
  • In b_castle, a bludgeon threw his axe and at some point in mid-air (not inside a wall or anything) it just kept spinning in place. The bludgeon remained in his "I am throwing my axe"-animation. Standing where the axe was spinning did still damage you (it really really hurts, I might add) but seeing as how the bludgeon didn't do anything else at all, it wasn't particulary hard to kill him.
  • A Goblin Pouncer pounced my lightning storm the other day. I would've taken a screenshot, but other mobs were attacking me and I died.
  • Swift Blade and Lesser Swift Blade potions are two-handed items (contrary to every other potion in the game I believe).
  • The Lightning Forged Skeletons in cleicert seem to be able to hit you through walls.
  • Dwarven arrows (or stacks thereof) are invisible when dropped on the floor.
  • There seems to be a problem with the vorpal tongue's first charge attack (hard hit) on certain armored mobs. At SA 34 the values are roughly as follows:
    • On an Animated Archer of Thunder:
      • Regular hit: 70 - 100 damage
      • First charge: 140 - 165 damage
    • On an Enchanted Armor of Thunder:
      • Regular hit: 70 - 100 damage
      • First charge: 60 - 75 damage
    It's as if the vorpal tongue's first charge is *not* ignoring the armor on certain mobs. There might be a similar issue with the ethereal dagger but I'm not sure.
  • The holy lance's "portable healing circle" attempts to heal all sorts of things it can't possibly heal (such as player-casted lightning storms, thrown lances of affliction that are doing the "spin and spew poison" attack, regular healing circles, etc.).
  • Players that are trapped in magic fields are really hard to ice shield and/or heal. Whenever you try to heal a locked player, the bottom-right display will show "Npc is already at maximum health" unless you're pretty much hugging them. Is this intentional?

And a more serious bug: If you're in the Galat chest menu, and you press a number key that does not correspond to an available menu option (for example: 5), the menu closes and the Galat chest is unusable. If you do this on a player-summoned Galat chest, any subsequently summoned Galat chests will also no longer work.

And yes, I really should finish Vestibule of Wind sometime... I'm sorry for the massive delays...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

*deep breath*
MS:C community said:
I suppose I should take my own advice when I say something isn't reliable. I guess targeting the ms_npc to spawn it is somehow causing it to "be there yet not be there" or some such. I have to make some other changes to the map, so I'll try your method of sticking it on a separate spawner.

As for the script, chests/base_quiver_of requires an item scriptname. Since addparams can only take a single parameter, the bundle size can't be set, but it defaults to 30, though it can be set dynamically when spawned by another script - this being the first time it's been used in any other way. I don't usually include chests in the changelog though.

Also, another bug I noticed: Dwarven arrows (or stacks thereof) are invisible when dropped on the floor.
Added to the long list of p_models to fix - though the problem maybe a little more complicated than usual here, as I'm not sure which model it's inside, off hand.

And something about catacombs: When you first enter the room where you fight the Hollow One, your screen gets obstructed by a flashing image that says "SEIZURE [something]". I can't really properly read what it says because of the flashing. Is this intentional (if so: ...wwwwhhhhyyyy...?) or does this trigger belong in the map's secret room instead?
XHvk6Y4.jpg
Asked CAT about toning down the epilepsy room, and he was all "no", but offered no objections to "making fun of it" hence the gag. If you have your music off, you may not get the disco so thoughtfully provided to go along with. Should go away within a few seconds, fairly quickly given the length of the pending epileptic battle.

And another unrelated thing: Could you please consider flagging Captain Ron (oceancrossing) immune to player damage?

Another consideration: Climbing arrows. Could they stick around a fair bit longer?
Maybe to the first question - though I'm a bit warry of making that battle easier, and they do have to go a long way to justify risking the friendly fire...

Yes to the second question - assuming the game will let me. I've also got "restoring rat climbing" on my list of things to do - a bit sticky, as ground awareness was a required addition to base_summon for the Bear Guardian.

b_castle [info_teleport] [...] Could you lower the destination point or (better yet) add a bunch more?
Might not be worth adding to the betapack size, but should add to the list of changes to include in a full installer. I'm going to look it over to see how close our source matches the original, and if there's any ripent edits that'd need to be re-integrated.

As for the bludgeon axe, give me a heads up if it happens again - seems there should be a max timer on it.

[deraliasewers info_teleport]
Surely that one has multiple destinations... Hrmm... I'll have to look. I think the ceilings are low there though.

A Goblin Pouncer pounced my lightning storm the other day. I would've taken a screenshot, but other mobs were attacking me and I died.
I'll check that the Lightning Storm is flagged an invalid target, and that the pouncer is checking said target validity flag. Would be a shame to find he humps dead things in some necrophiliac rage.

Swift Blade and Lesser Swift Blade potions are two-handed items (contrary to every other potion in the game I believe)
This is required due to the way the potion modifies attack data when a weapon is drawn. It won't work on an off-hand weapon until it is re-drawn.

The Lightning Forged Skeletons in cleicert seem to be able to hit you through walls.
They may not be doing a traceline check with every attack, though they should at least have to see you to begin the attack. Traceline checks are resource intensive, so I'll have to see if I can make it reasonable - or maybe combine the two, and do traceline damage instead. ...Though I'm thinking maybe that's what they used to do, and it was causing too much lag.

[vorpal tongue's vs. certain armored mobs.]
Hrmm... The way it calculates the armor reduction maybe causing issues with the elemental reduction. If that's the case, I'm not sure if I can fix it. If it's an issue with the way the damage types stack, then it's all sorts of beyond my means to fix, and likely bleeds into a lot of other things.

[holy lance healing the unhealable]
It is likely that, what might be going on with the pouncer, is almost certainly going on here - it probably isn't checking validity flags - just faction. Added to list of things to fix...

Players that are trapped in magic fields are really hard to ice shield and/or heal. Whenever you try to heal a locked player, the bottom-right display will show "Npc is already at maximum health" unless you're pretty much hugging them. Is this intentional?
No it's not, but the way players are held in place, reliably, involves placing a tiny NPC inside them, so it's probably not repairable, since changing their movetype seems to cause other issues.

And a more serious bug: If you're in the Galat chest menu, and you press a number key that does not correspond to an available menu option (for example: 5), the menu closes and the Galat chest is unusable.
*sigh* That would explain some reports... How angry are you guys going to be if I just disable key-shortcuts for menus... Or maybe certain menus? They cause all sorts of issues and exploits, and are part of the reason we were forced to add various restrictions revolving around inventory management and menus.

And yes, I really should finish Vestibule of Wind sometime... I'm sorry for the massive delays...
At this rate, you midas well check with RedCell and see if he'll let you submit the final version as a new map in the media contest. ;)

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Yes to the second question - assuming the game will let me. I've also got "restoring rat climbing" on my list of things to do - a bit sticky, as ground awareness was a required addition to base_summon for the Bear Guardian.

You talkin' the kinda rat climbing that's reminiscent of Jenga (with lots of shouting STAY in vicinity)? Or the kind that involves rockets strapped to axes, as seen in some dwarven rocketry experiments that have been taking place in that weird facility near Gatecity?

Thothie said:
I was thinking maybe post speed ability, it might still have an issue due to the registration change. Ya might try duplicating it with some of the faster non-smallarm weapons - like the Torkalath Blade, and the Blood Blades, should ya have them laying about. Maybe some sort of lag issue with the speed of attack.

I did manage to test a few other weapons, and most notably got it with one of my bludgeon hammers during the rage ability (Demon Bludgy Hammer, but I imagine it's probably doable with both). But most strangely, I also got it with my UGA during my second charge (but that very well could have been a fluke, I'll try and catch a screenie of it if it happens again).

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

So I was tagging along for a group doing the Bloodstone quest, when some curious things started to happen with the NPCs' chats. It was pretty good. It only seemed to pop up when multiple people were doing the same things with the same NPCs at around the same time (or at least close to it). Fortunately it did not effect quest progression.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Oh crap, the curse of chat_step# is back.

Rocket117

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Not sure if anybody else has had this issue, or reported it. I've had this for a while and usually when it occurs i can nail it down to a specific weapon (First time i had the issue it was because of the Dragon Axe) or i roll back. This time i can't do either and it's time I bring it to the board.
1024x576.resizedimage
This is actually really bad. Many of my gatlat items are stacked on top each other, which makes it so i can't use the items underneath it. I have a lot of pot stacks (10 cold immune pots 0_o) which might be causing it but i'm not quite sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.