FEB2008b / MSC 1.11 Bug Reports

kai

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: FEB2008a / MSC 1.11 Bug Reports

This has probably been mentioned before on the Bug Reports, but I'm too lazy to scroll through and read it all.

When ever I hit a monster for a good deal of damage (usually above 70) I seem to crash to desktop without an error message. I'm positive this is the problem as it's happened to me on a couple of occasions now when upon foutpost.

Which sucks because I'm a Titan and I use the Great axe, which hit a sh*t load of damage. :p

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

New bug that leaves you unable to join.
mscave0000.jpg

I'm thinking that you have an MotD framework going, and it pops up without a way to cancel it...Ergo your character is trapped in a glass MotD box :?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score

Was a problem that Thothie encountered but didn't have time to fix. I believe you just have to reconnect a few times or somethin'

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Y'know, despite this being 1.11, we haven't fixed anything graphically. :?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Sabre said:
I'm thinking that you have an MotD framework going, and it pops up without a way to cancel it...Ergo your character is trapped in a glass MotD box :?
Yes, the Mime bug is on the list.

Orochi said:
Y'know, despite this being 1.11, we haven't fixed anything graphically. :?
Yeah – I wonder why that is. >_>

Well, wait - I lie - we fixed a LOT of things graphically. Several maps, and a whole new lighting system for both them, and the global day/night, resulting in much crisper textures and less going blind (as well as, on calruin2 and wicardoven, less crashing from edicts). New tracker scheme to boot...

But our molders informed me they were incapable of doing anything involving meshes, and that apparently, everything worth bothering doing involves mesh changes (even when I can achieve the same effect by notepad'ing SMD's), so no, model changes. Well, save the X-Bow animations that somehow didn't get put into the player model last month that will no doubt leave our modelers incapable of doing anything with the player model, ever again. So hopefully notepad will save us again when next we come to that bridge.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie, you give "us modellers" no freedom to work. You make us work around your scripts; you give us no freedom to organize things. Try giving us a bit more leeway when it comes to models and we might churn out more stuff. And you never informed me of the player model animations. If something is urgent, send it to my inbox.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I have. Everytime I send you something ye tell me ye can't do it. There's no lack of freedom involved there. All my other modelers are turning out stuff fine - just no one's making what we actually need.

Make me a model, I'll bend a script to it. God knows I've done it for everyone else.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Did you got my latest spider model for replacing the old ones? (sent last month)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I would like to first thank you for those, and again point out that you are by FAR the most productive molder we have (or have ever had), and that's the closest we've had to fulfilling an actual request since the hXbow - but I've not yet had the chance to test them out in game in detail. I noted that we've only the one skin - meaning all our spiders will kinda wind up looking exactly alike (I mean, even more so than now). I'm thinking I either want to replace one type of spider with them, or introduce them as a new spider (and/or await new skins) - but I'm being fickle as to which spider I want to try them on.

To set my mind at ease, in terms of my needing to bend scripts to their will, have ye tried replacing the models in game yet? (I've not yet double checked them for events and such.) - and if they are fully functional, which spider do ye think they work best as? I was thinking maybe the poisonous baby spiders could use them to distinguish themselves from the lesser variety for a start.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Arent the 3 recolours enough? (plus iron and metal chromes). Maybe i could ask Sabre for more skins. Havebt tried them ingame yet.

Still, you shouldn't disregard Orochi. Hes been modelling for MSC for long ago, and always been modelling according to what you need, while I just model what I want. Maybe if we settled a dev team things would get easier to work

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

FER beat me to the punch on that...But yeah, there are three skins.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie, when I say graphical improvements I'm talking about quality of models. When I say freedom, I am referring the the fact that in order to fix such problems as the skeletons, I would have to regoranize all the meshes as well, seeing as you have the skeleton models so convoluted right now. You send me these problems, but I am unable to fix them because I lack your modified source, or the willingness to change them from you. Believe me, I want to fix these problems.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Thothie, when I say graphical improvements I'm talking about quality of models.
I knew that, I think ye missed the sacarasm.

When I say freedom, I am referring the the fact that in order to fix such problems as the skeletons, I would have to regoranize all the meshes as well, seeing as you have the skeleton models so convoluted right now.
You can't edit any model that any other modeler has ever looked at, so you are not much good for model editing. I sent you the latest pack I got back from Gaz - that is perfectly orginized and fixed what you refused to fix before (aside from the skeleton facing the wrong way on death, which is all ye have to do now) - if ye can't use that, I'll have to hack at it with notepad later.

Arent the 3 recolours enough? (plus iron and metal chromes). Maybe i could ask Sabre for more skins. Havebt tried them ingame yet.
There are... submodels... I r not having realized there r submodels... damnit. >_>

And... wow... this metal spider is freaking BEAUTIFUL in game… Yeah, he works fine – looks like the events are working for the others… Still a little reluctant to replace all the spiders all at once (I really liked the reskin you did on our mid-size spiders a ways back).

I need to do something about the damn health sprite script that makes the game realize a model is wider than it is tall so the health bar don’t get buried inside the model – but other than that (which I think is likely an issue with the old one anyways) it looks awsome (much better than I would have thought from the HLMV view).

kai

New Adventurer
Reaction score

I think I know what my crashing is from, every time I strike a monster for a lot of damage, usually a spurt of blood will explode from the monsters' model. Well, instead of doing that, it crashes every time that it's supposed to, so yeah. :|

By the way, is it okay that I deleted my old MSC folder from my directory then installed the 1.1 file? cause I'm not sure. :?:

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie, that pack is so outdated it makes my face hurt, and I can edit them, I just don't want to dig through that mess. What I would like to do so that in the future I can edit it more easily, is to fix all the errors with the skeleton models, and then sort them by type within the model: Poison, Ice, Normal, etc. Of course it would get out of order eventually, but it would make my job a lot easier.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

kai said:
I think I know what my crashing is from, every time I strike a monster for a lot of damage, usually a spurt of blood will explode from the monsters' model. Well, instead of doing that, it crashes every time that it's supposed to, so yeah. :|

By the way, is it okay that I deleted my old MSC folder from my directory then installed the 1.1 file? cause I'm not sure. :?:
Probably would saved a lot of headaches if you used the fast patch when you could have. :(

It is likely you got the old full installer and will have to clear your net cache and download it again.

Thothie, that pack is so outdated it makes my face hurt, and I can edit them, I just don't want to dig through that mess. What I would like to do so that in the future I can edit it more easily, is to fix all the errors with the skeleton models, and then sort them by type within the model: Poison, Ice, Normal, etc. Of course it would get out of order eventually, but it would make my job a lot easier.
The rar for that archive [ GAZ_THOTH_skeleton_boss2_src.rar ] is dated four minutes after the model's creation date - if it's dated, it's dated by four mintues.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

I believe the reason your health bar is doing that, Thothie, is that you are positioning it a distance above the head, or so it appears, but what it really happening is that it it positioning in relation the the entity's bounding box.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

It's a relative# units from the monster's center (entity postion - in this case the floor) based on the monster's set script height - bounding box, sadly, doesn't come into it. If it did, it'd be a lot easier to position the darn thing. :\

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Do you think we could get a source tree going somehow? If we did, then I wouldn't need to .rar it every time, and I could plug the changes into your copy without worrying about anything on my end. That way, you would no longer need me for massive changes and you'd have the source ready to go every time, as would I.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Source trees have to be updated - so it's not anymore likely to be up to date than the rar I FTP to ya, and a lot harder to setup. Awful lot of trouble to turn one animation in one skeleton around.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie, this would be for everything. Weapons, player model, everything. If we did do it, then I'm pretty sure I'd update with fixes more often, sicne we'd be using the same base material.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

What fixes did ye have in mind?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Mainly, anything that you need done. The central reason I don't fix things is because I worry i'm going to give you a broken model and you're going to stick it in the betapack unaware that it is broken. With patches only once or twice a month, this scares the hell outta me. With this setup, I could fix the skeleton anim, stick it in, and you'd be set for the next betapack. We'd be using the same stuff, so there'd be no worry from me. Not only that, but other modellers could put their stuff on it too.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

tried the spiders and I found two flaws.

-small spider has incorrect animation (reason being i gave it the jump and grab animations)
-since the old ones didnt use submodels, all the new ones use the brown skin

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Just got a chatbug on a listenserver :D