Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ye old JAN2008 bugs be here

:arrow: = Working on it, :?: = wtf/unconfirmed, :idea: = fixed next release

Known issues
MAJOR
:arrow: Still getting No Free Edict Errors
- While, the relights in Calruin2 and ms_wicardoven helped a LOT, and some other stabs have been made at this, I expect you'll still be seeing more than enough of this type of server crash.
:?: Host_Error: UserMsg: Not Present on Client 255
- For now, reconnect (maybe new sprite consolidation related)
- Try this config.cfg (overwrite your current msc/config.cfg) as well
:?: Client crashing a lot, or having errors during running dashes
- Try this config.cfg (overwrite your current msc/config.cfg)
- If this works out for ye, post your results here
:?: Monster gibbing
- Rare, but tends to happen at the worst possible moments

MINOR
:?: Think blizzard needs to go back to impact projectile (having issues with that and the new sys)
:idea: Odd client or server errors when installing from scratch
- If ye downloaded msc_installer.exe before 8am (PST, GMT-8) Febuary 2nd, you may have to re-download
- Remember to clear your internet cache first (if it downloads instantly, you failed this step)
- This applies only to clean installs - if you just updated, then you have a new bug, please report it
:idea: Full installer lacking some Calruin2 sprites
- Servers should download them to ye
:idea: Can't click to select character and have scroll bars on sides of screen
- Console also reads: Error (CLIENT): Error: CNewCharacterPanel::Update -->
- This is rare, possibly to do with the sprite consolidation, retry or quit and restart HL

Aesthetic
:?: Slimes in Calruin2 go wonky when you run by them with glow
- This is an engine limiation caused by the texture resolution difference - can't be fixed without reducing the res of the slime
- My lighting concept was to try to make it bright enough so you wouldn't need glow - but I didn't realize I was working with a custom gamma. (I was using gamma 3.0 - didn't need glow under that setting :/)

===============================
Resolved in FEB2008b Optional Patch:
- Potion of Stability crashes server
- Various funkyness with the admin system and playervotes
- Admins.txt does not read in
- Screen "strobes" a few times when you first connect to a server
===============================

Ancient/Perpetual
Known Ancient bugs:
- People still can get stuck in each other on spawns. (Partly Map Flaw)
- Swimming in waterfalls (Map flaw - although deliberate on the new Helena).
- Map crash on transition (memory dealocation error). (add +exec crashed.cfg to your hlds config)
- Become invisible when putting on armor (armor display bug work around, type 'vis' in console)
- All entities invisible bug (type kill in console to cure).
- Lights/sprites not going away / sticking to other objects
- Occasionally a weapon/spell will stop doing damage until it is unequipped then re-equipped.
- Occasional scrambled inventory: wearing potions/scrolls, etc. Usually caused by clicking on a character multiple times before load.
- Can't use charge attack in laggy conditions. (Work around: look at the floor and pray.)
- Sitting animation bugs (sometimes saves to character for awhile)
- All water sometimes goes white (texture stretch bug, restart)
- Mod_ExtraData Cacheing Failed: Listen servers must start on Edana, from there you can changelevel anywhere you want.
- Typing issues in chat. Especially with European keyboards.
- Matching elemental resistances do not stack and will cancel one another out. (Not so much a bug, so much as a limitation and reminder of said - might find away around this in the future).
- Prices over 32k register as negative on client.
- Health/mana indicator madness (see yonder)
- Small sack holds stuff it should not.
- Bank freaks if you have more than one of the ticket or item you are trying to trade
- Armor display bugs involving Gladiator and AoB. (Need new armor display sys)

Also Not liable to go away soon:
- Some monsters still capable of some acts while frozen (jumping, etc.)
- Orion Bow jamming sometimes, (I've no idea how to fix this without dropping the whole charged weapon concept.)

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Re: FEB2008a / MSC 1.11 Bug Reports

I know this is not a bug but... why do the monsters give half exp at old helena? They are the same monsters there than in any map :?... I got no more reasons to go there.
Atholo now gives only 5k, what is 10k when you need 1,6M :? No more reasons to go there either.
I'm sick of Ara because I overplayed it.
I'm sick of foutpost for the same reason...
I'm sick of Lodagond blah blah blah...

I don't mean to complain, but high level bastards like me need something to do and most of all, to not get their only hopes to possibly think about gaining a level someday in something nerfed.
Don't ask me why I'm still playing, it just makes me happy for a whole second to get 5-8 more HPs... I understand that I should not grind for exp since it's utterly rediculous and that there's not enough content yet to let uber levels make their time worthwhile, but meh, this is the only game I've been playing for years and I'm not much of a gamer anymore.

Oh and the removal of the mana refund with demon claws would be good if it wasn't so freaking impossible to know where it shoots exactly. It used to shoot right in the middle of the screen, when we could see the target's name but since JAN or DEC it's been a pain to use.

Congratulations for the new installer by the way, it's great :wink:

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Oh and the removal of the mana refund with demon claws would be good if it wasn't so freaking impossible to know where it shoots exactly. It used to shoot right in the middle of the screen, when we could see the target's name but since JAN or DEC it's been a pain to use.
Hmm... I may tweak it out so it only takes half yer mana in a shot and does double the current damage to compensate. The whole "you have to have a target thing" wasn't working very good. It also never "shot at the middle of the screen" per-say - it in fact, did the aiming for you, and just hit whatever your current target was - you could do a quick 180, and you'd stll hit.

As for the "zomg how do I level past 40!?" - I'm hoping you wont. We ain't ready for anything past 40. We're really, not even ready for 40. ;) When Crow introduces more lodagond maps you'll have some places to get XP from that might actually slow ye up a bit. Sadly I didnt get around to making my universal hpqreq additions to maps in time, and since it'll require bringing back the ripent-based map patcher, am reluctant to do so in the near future.

The "nerf" on Atholo's XP (who went from 800 to 10,000 base XP last month, mind you) is due to the fact that we have a bug with the parry system that makes his XP unpredictable. Hopefully we will have that fixed. I have, however, raised XP for all bosses across the board when they are in their boss-map locations with multiple players (save those who have the same parry issue he does), so while Atholo maybe a disappointment, ye may be able to find another boss who is not.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I would say yes, but I just realized said item is still going to crash the server... >_> ****!

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

That works fine. Even when you have two of them running around Maldora, apparently (more of a stress test than I wanted). ;)

Picadilly

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score

I keep getting this In the battle info bar:

Warning: GM_ERROR: Damage points not being counted.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score

bug.jpg

Skillasaur

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Well since the most recent patch I've been experiencing two game-breaking bugs

1. I'm getting a weird crash to desktop bug which seems entirely random, at first I thought it was ice shield breaking it but it seems it just crashes at random times. I get no error message.
2. I'm getting a really strange sprint bug where the message [either "you break into a jog" or "you lose your running speed"] appears twice in the log and I'm stuck with my movement speed. This means that I can run and attack in jog speed or walk speed but can't change speed. This bug also seems to cancel out the effect of the raven mace.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Thing I want to point out:

-Voldar got gibbed on Thothie's server
-Demon claw's soul drain empties you mana even when pointing at the sky :?
-That bug that whenever im going to join a server I got sent back to the title screen is really annoying

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

1. I'm getting a weird crash to desktop bug which seems entirely random, at first I thought it was ice shield breaking it but it seems it just crashes at random times. I get no error message.
2. I'm getting a really strange sprint bug where the message [either "you break into a jog" or "you lose your running speed"] appears twice in the log and I'm stuck with my movement speed. This means that I can run and attack in jog speed or walk speed but can't change speed. This bug also seems to cancel out the effect of the raven mace.
If ye downloaded one of the full updates prior to Sat Feb 02, 2008 8pm PST – ye may have gotten one of the ones that was “missing” one or two bits that fug with the clients in odd ways like that. There was also at least one server out there that’s suffering from similar problems that may just be affecting your client there. (Not gone around to verify all the servers are happy again yet). If it's you (and not them) who has the buggared msc_installer.exe, sadly this means you'd have to download that 350mb monster again. (I know, that sucks - but imagine re-uploading it six times?) * MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR YOUR INTERNET CACHE FIRST [if it downloads instantly, you didn't do so.]

- Demon claw's soul drain empties you mana even when pointing at the sky
Ye gotta aim them now. You hit a wall, sky, or whatnot, it’ll drain. As I said above, considering doing something to compensate for this.

-That bug that whenever im going to join a server I got sent back to the title screen is really annoying
Check yer log_cldll.log for an error and post it here, if that happens.

-Voldar got gibbed on Thothie's server
ZOMGWTFBBQ
…Jebus H. Christov! – I spent so much damned time gibbing rats and tracing debug codes to make that duplicatable – finally nixed it – and yer telling me, it’s back? >< H8!

I’m a *little* worried that the sprite consolidation maybe fuxing with the client side. I know it can during load sometimes. I’ve yet to run the precache test to make sure this is actually getting us the extra media slots we hoped it would – cuz if it’s not, I may just go back to the old system.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Not sure what caused it, since noone leveled any "null" skill, only thing some1 leveled was fire

Dudeman can confirm the gibbing as he was playing with me

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score

FER said:
Not sure what caused it, since noone leveled any "null" skill, only thing some1 leveled was fire

Dudeman can confirm the gibbing as he was playing with me

No one levels "null" skills now. I might point out that the bug was fixed less for gibbing and more for people shutting up about the display message being the cause of gibbing >_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Well, the message wasn't a problem - but I'm fairly certain the issue is related.

The reason the message used to break is because it treated magic like any other skill, and thus couldn't get the spell types beyond the first three (fire ice lighting = power balance proficiency)

I suspect is that somewhere in our dodamage or monster death code, when it passes the XP, some similar bit is going on and it is causing it to exit a function prematurely.

It is pretty much undoubtedly to do with the changes we made to the dodamage system in DEC2007a that makes damage pass proper – that involved moving huge amount of code from one CPP to another, and calling objects remotely.

But after stabbing at the fugger for hours, wish some pointers by MiB and Shuri - I finally got rats to stop gibbing from level one acid bolts (needless to say, something you can only do in developer mode) - and I *thought* that was the end of it. *sigh*

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score

Thothie said:
wish some pointers

Impressive - you must be REALLY drunk to have a slur while typing ;-)

I know that it's not the message that did it, but, as I said, I was getting annoyed with people THINKING it was the message >_> I don't remember having all that much work involved with adding the proper xp fix. Dunno what yer talking about with porting lots of code or remote calls =\

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

We had to port the entire takedmg code from one place to another, as well as large portions of the parry system, IIRC. But dr;tl

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Mikkel said:
This usually means so many players have come and gone from the server during a single map run that the GM has no free slots for which to store your points on. Normally it'll dump one who seems to be absent for yours - but if none are seen as gone, or the GM dumps one, and the storage string is STILL too long, ye may just get nixed.

I need a better way of dealing with this (one of the limiations of not having real arrays on the script side). The only alternative is to give up on restoring points of those who dropped and reconnected.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score

Here's the error multiple people are getting when connecting.
Host_Error: UserMsg: Not Present on Client 255

The fix for it at the moment is keep trying and eventually you get on.

Skillasaur

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Not really much of a fix...

Speaking of fixes, I've re-downloaded the entire installer and installed from scratch but I'm still getting the same two bugs I was getting before, still crashing to desktop and sprint breaking.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

- 2lt. Walter gibbed an animated armor at b_castle (yes, we're all using Feb. patch on a Feb. server). Made it so the bludgeons wouldn't spawn after the animated's were gone (in that small arena like room). He wasn't using affliction or divination. Nor was I (the only other person hitting the animated that specifically gibbed), I had my tork-blade out.

(Complaint)
- DCs require me to be hugging a target just to hurt it... you took away their ranged capabilities... as bad as the hugger dagger, now... went through over twenty uses before I realized it wasn't merely a shortened range, but a butchered range. :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Range is same as it ever was, but you gotta aim the drain-stab.

I wasn't trying to nerf the demon claws. <_< - It was more about getting the XP to pass proper to MA. :\

Skillasaur

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Well some new info on sprint bug. As soon as it starts happening it begins spamming my console with:

cl: Error (CLIENT): Error: CBasePlayer::Think --> Call CheckSpeed
cl: Error (CLIENT): Error: MSCLGlobals::Think --> Update GUI
etc.

was bored so made this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs9kToi7aBo