Where to find a Torkalanth Blade?

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
This is part of the reson whyI do a listen server. Do you know how hard I've gotta work for my items? I've just now started asking around about where things are and I've been playing my character for about a year. This isn't to say I want crap handed to me, but when you're on a server by yourself, you have no bearing on where ANYTHING is. It's a matter of "well I suppose I clear x mob for x chest again while i'm here, OH MY GOD THERE'S A RARE (x item) IN HERE!!". Playing on a server where some random guy who'se been playing 2 months that has x item really downs the accomplishment. I say make an assload of lore, so much so that it's overwhelming, and make the players peice together the lore to know what to say to who, where, and at what time, with what itemi n your hand. Sill, once one guy finds it, the rest will, but if you toss out a bunch of disjointed lore at once, it'll take people a bit to peice it together.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
theres some lore...it just isn't really worked into the game, i mean...you have to go look around the intra-web for it...perhaps some way to work it into the game...?

you'd need a better NPC talking system first, and that would take a while...i know MiB will hate me for saying this, but to really work the lore into the game, you need a GUI when players talk to NPC's for quests...OMGGUI, that way they actually read what npcs say, instead of just lookin for mission objectives (when there ARE any, quests aren't a necessary part of the game yet... :| )

Raptor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to put an insanely complex puzzle into my map that will take even the most advanced people a few hours to figure out, complete with original riddles (that can't be googled, hint hint), some insane boss (worse than the 3 calrians for gold armor maybe?)... You get the point.

I might even make you babysit a func_pushable (that's breakable, and, if the script is ever added, will be attacked by every single monster that comes across it) and put it in one of 3 randomly chosen spots, without any clue as to which one it is, just for the sole purpose of making it almost impossible to get whatever in the hell the item is.

Oh, and a randomly generated maze that contains no less than 3 gold forged skeletons (which respawn)...

How about me and thothie do that, and better yet, let's give the item a 12.5% chance to spawn in the chest at the end.

Now, what kind of ultra-rare uber weapon or piece of armor should it be? Diamond plate, a 70% damage reduction that weighs less than gold armor? Ultima Sword (guess where I ripped that off from) that does well over 100 damage a hit at level 5 swordsmanship and attacks as fast as a boneblade? Hm... Let's make it a slightly better version of whatever the best axe in the game is, I don't see too many people using those.

EDIT: I've got it... It'll be in a tomb, the weapon will be "Bow of Regoras"... But not really, since it'll be an axe, maybe "Axe of Grim Lee"... Ok then, on a serious note, I want the rune axe back, make it two-handed this time, have it slower than the great axe but do more damage (and take more stamina), a 30% increase in damage at the cost of 15% attack speed sounds about right, obviously it'll be the best axe in the game (since I think the great axe is currently the best - correct me if I'm wrong)... Add that thothie, and you'll get your swamp map.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
We don't need difficulty, we need a quest chain, something that people have to start from the beginning on. People woulden't be farming constantly if the quest to get to the end boss/loot took a few hours to do. I know theres a danger in driving people off with that, but it would be worth it, to me, to have to work to get to some sort of end. The kind of thing that by the end of the quest it's not just about the loot you want to "kill this scum of an abomination because it attacked x town and killed bob's wife". There are people who won't get into that, but they aren't real rpg'ers, they're power gamers.

Roghan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
You can arrange quests, that force players to go to several maps to get a key to open a door and the like, but even then, some people enable map warping on their servers, which kills that. Although, I've got something in the next patch to give mappers options to work around that.
Just make it so at the end of each map you get a key that opens a door on the next map at the very beginning so you have to get the key from the map before so you can't just warp.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If you make a map like that, you'll want to have a mob that must be killed before that key is accessible (so people with Ravens Mace, like me, don't simply run to the end) :D

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
elfstone222 said:
This is part of the reson whyI do a listen server. Do you know how hard I've gotta work for my items? I've just now started asking around about where things are and I've been playing my character for about a year. This isn't to say I want crap handed to me, but when you're on a server by yourself, you have no bearing on where ANYTHING is. It's a matter of "well I suppose I clear x mob for x chest again while i'm here, OH MY GOD THERE'S A RARE (x item) IN HERE!!". Playing on a server where some random guy who'se been playing 2 months that has x item really downs the accomplishment. I say make an assload of lore, so much so that it's overwhelming, and make the players peice together the lore to know what to say to who, where, and at what time, with what itemi n your hand. Sill, once one guy finds it, the rest will, but if you toss out a bunch of disjointed lore at once, it'll take people a bit to peice it together.
Just out of curiosity, why did you want to join the Blades of Urdual (I know you changed your mind, though)?

Also, I do agree with Iselore.

It used to be piss-easy to get rare items, especially spells. I'd go to the ruins of Keledros with Kodak and Belmont and abuse the Keledros exploit all day. This was back in the days when he dropped two thousand golden coins and a volcano tome, lightning storm tome or a blizzard tome. Later, his exploit got fixed, but luckily, some more rare items were added to his drop list: poison, fire wall and fire ball. That comes down to two thousand golden coinds and volcano, lightning storm, blizzard, fire wall, poison or fire ball.

Of course we kept going to the ruins of Keledros, even though he wasn't bugged anymore. That map was still Farm Map One. Then Keledros got nerfed. From that point, it was possible that he didn't drop a spell at all. The amount of gold he dropped also got seriously nerfed.

Right now I'm not sure what Keledros actually does drop, but I'm sure it's not alot of gold, and no volcano, blizzard or fire wall. I doubt he even drops poison. Just fire ball and lightning storm.

If you want to get all of the above six spells in the current version of the game, you'll have to destroy alot of monsters. And I mean alot. Two of the above spells (the most destructive ones) require so much more effort to get, it's almost uncomparable to the effort it would take you in previous versions of this mod. In previous versions it would take you about ten to fifteen minutes to kill Keledros and then you'd have a 1 in 6 chance that your desired spell would spawn.

Right now, you have to fight for about an hour straight (probably alot more) with at least three other very strong players, and when you're finally done there's this tiny chance your desired spell will spawn (one of the two most destructive spells).

Sure, maybe some items got moved to locations that are somewhat more logical (with the obvious exception of the volcano... why the hell is that "there"?) but that doesn't make up for the fact that this game has gotten alot harder.

I don't mind challenge, though, I like it. I don't mind helping other people either. I don't mind posting information in a certain topic about certain items, but I do mind people whining about that. I mean, of all things to whine about, why whine about that? It's a topic. Certain people know where to get rare items, so what? It's still a lot harder to get them, and the spawn chances are way lower.

So do all you wish to make this game harder. I still enjoy the challenge, but if you guys overreact on the difficulty and/or the uber-low spawn chances of items, this game will become seriously boring. I post certain information to give people goals. To make sure they know where to look. It's that easy. Some people simply won't play this game if they don't have a goal (an item to get when they know where to look for it).

In case people still want to stay stuff like "LOL BOU ITEM TOPIC = ARE BAD", please
r_shutup.gif

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I wanted to join to help my FN character advance, but I decided to help make a guild with squierrel and t3h man. Initial advancement wasn't as hard as i remember it being, I went from level 5 (mat.art.4 arch.7 sc.2) to level 10 (all 7+ arch.11 parry.10 sc.4 ><) in about 3 hours.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Bad J-M doesn't remember the old days, it was...

FIVE THOUSAND GOLD

(when Keledros only dropped 3 spells)

I still remember the bug I had on my char wich made me rollback and lose my volcano,lighting storm and blizzard. (And the thousands of golddddd)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I miss the good'ol days when bosses carried lots of gold :(

I mean, Keledros is basically a millionaire, he owns his own private mansion/library... why SHOULDN'T he carry tons of gold on him!? :(

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
who really needs gold? Unless there's something new to buy that i don't know about. I have 40-50k gold and i haven't spent anything since like level 15 (i'm 26-ish now) am i missing something?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Seem to be neglecting the fact that Keledros was the meanest bad-ass bastard in the game, at the time. (Since Lord BS just stood in a hall way and waited for the six hours it took you to bolt him to death.)

Also neglecting to take into account that Firewall, Volcano, and Blizzard DIDN'T WORK (firewall, rather, wasnt even in the game)

He dropped 400gold. And had a 50% chance of dropping one of THREE spells. TWO OF WHICH DID NOT WORK... (Don't try to lie to me, I've got the archived script right here.)

Code:
 	gold 400
	local CHANCE $rand(1,6)
	if( CHANCE == 1 )
	{
		giveitem XXXX_blizzard
	}
	if( CHANCE == 3 )
	{
		giveitem XXXX_lightning_storm
	}
	if( CHANCE == 5 )
	{
		giveitem XXXX_volcano
	}

Oh yeah, Keledros was sooo much better back then. Effing rose colored time traveling glasses...

He now drops 300 gold and and has a 75% of dropping one of SEVEN spells. ALL OF WHICH WORK.

That's one hell of an improvement as a farm target in my opinion.

If ya really want, I can give him his 400 gold back and give him a 1 in six chance of dropping anything that actually works.

Not that it matters.

I could have Lord K just wipe the whole thread section (since I barely dare to think what's under the other thread headings), and I'm sure he would if I asked - but I know J-M's propensity for spreading cheats for this game. Between the cheatmap collection, art-money, cheat chars, and this crap, it at least keeps us on our toes.

But it does make it infuriating enough that I'm tempted trash the whole thing, as it's a lot of trouble to deal both with cheaters and trying to fix bugs and expand the damned game...

Just sick of dealing with this philosophy that making the game easier for nubs is the "right thing to do" , as it shortens the games lifespan more than anything else.

( edits: sciptz censor )

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I buy the cold immunity potions and armor and stuff for people, but that's about it.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie, the fact that volcano, lightning storm, blizzard and fire wall didn't work doesn't mean that people still wanted to have these scrolls "for later". It's completely logical and surely you should understand that.

When you're leveling in a new map (keledrosruins didn't work before, so it was technically new) why not grab some items you can use later on? Everybody jumped on his spells like flies on sh*t and you know it.

Short summary: I don't give a **** if a new item doesn't work yet. I know it'll work later, so that's why I might as well try to get it immediately.

Also, I remember how he dropped five thousand gold (five thousand as Belmont said, not two thousand) when he first "worked". This was in MS:C 1.01dev_a I think.

Also, I cheated and 'hacked' in MasterSword v1.35, which was a long time ago. I don't cheat and hack in MasterSword: Continued because I don't wish to lose my [FN] character.

I find it quite fascinating (in a negative way) that you are comparing a hidden forum topic with item locations to 98 cheat maps and a program to hack your character.

Besides, not knowing where to get certain items (resulting in searching your *** off) is also something that seriously shortens the game's lifespan for some players. Maybe not as much as actually telling newcomers where all the items are, but (surprise surprise) the topic we're constantly discussing is hidden, and members of my guild are not allowed to post spoilers in the public boards. As a matter of fact, they're not even allowed to tell Newcomer A where item B is in-game.

Also, here are the topic titles of the topics in the Blades of Urdual board:
MS:C Items and locations.
Guild item list?
jigga what
Random activity thread
awesome.
Trouble with avatar
LAN Char

If you don't believe me I will get you a screenshot.

Last but not least: the threat to have Kuroneko delete the Blades of Urdual board is, by far, the dumbest threat I have ever heard on this forum board. If this happened, I would just send a textfile to my fellow guildmembers.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hehe...thothie, i know how you can get people's money down... ^_^

just have them lose 1% of thier cash each time they die, up to 1000 coins ;)

but i demand that the uber 'spensive single use items prices be lowered if you do this ! :eek:

[along with killing the thing i sent you a pm about, this would make it near impossible to get a lot of cash, so...1000 would be tops for any single use item, even if it was amazingly good, like the cold immunity potion]

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I think 5% of your cash per death sounds more reasonable... if you will halt taking away weapon XP on death :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thothie, the fact that volcano, lightning storm, blizzard and fire wall didn't work doesn't mean that people still wanted to have these scrolls "for later". It's completely logical and surely you should understand that.
Even dismissing the uselessness of the items (that did not become useful until 5 months later) yer still saying 50%/one of three is better than 75%/one of seven.

Also, I remember how he dropped five thousand gold (five thousand as Belmont said, nt two thousand) when he first "worked". This was in MS:C 1.01dev_a I think.
So, yer saying that was right? That he should drop 5000gp, because the economy isn't wrecked enough or something?

Also, I cheated and 'hacked' in MasterSword v1.35, which was a long time ago. I don't cheat and hack in MasterSword: Continued because I don't wish to lose my [FN] character.
Yer still cheating, and what's worse, you're still helping others to cheat. I've seen votemap ww3d on your server.

I find it quite fascinating (in a negative way) that you are comparing a hidden forum topic with item locations to 98 cheat maps and a program to hack your character.
Your 'hidden' forum is no more hidden than your 98 cheat maps. More than half the MSC community belongs to your guild.

Besides, not knowing where to get certain items (resulting in searching your *** off) is also something that seriously shortens the game's lifespan for some players. Maybe not as much as actually telling newcomers where all the items are, but (surprise surprise) the topic we're constantly discussing is hidden, and members of my guild are not allowed to post spoilers in the public boards. As a matter of fact, they're not even allowed to tell Newcomer A where item B is in-game.
Most often, people will aways keep playing this sort of game until they feel they are on top of it. So long as there's someone who has something that they want, that they don't have, they keep hacking at it. You tell them where everything is, and that severely shortens the time it takes to finish the game, and takes away half the motivation they have had to go seek out other players and interact on-line.

Last but not least: the threat to have Kuroneko delete the Blades of Urdual board is, by far, the dumbest threat I have ever heard on this forum board. If this happened, I would just send a textfile to my fellow guildmembers.
Exactly why I said wouldn't bother, I know you'd just put your shit up somewhere else.

Anyone wanna take the project over? Cuz constantly dealing with shit like this is getting to be too much for me.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Nice one J-M. I mean really, your cheating posts are more important than the person who is doing the most work for the mod. Who needs Thothie, really?

[/satire]

Thothie, don't quit just because he thinks that he has the right to post every last bit of information. In my opinion, that forum is worse than a cheat map, thus I would almost vote for blocking a certain STEAM_ID from FN. If J-M wants to be a dick and ruin the game for the rest of us by making it easier for everyone else, fine. But who says that you can't just ruin the game for him? ;-)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Even dismissing the uselessness of the items (that did not become useful until 5 months later) yer still saying 50%/one of three is better than 75%/one of seven.

Also, I remember how he dropped five thousand gold (five thousand as Belmont said, nt two thousand) when he first "worked". This was in MS:C 1.01dev_a I think.
So, yer saying that was right? That he should drop 5000gp, because the economy isn't wrecked enough or something?

Yer still cheating, and what's worse, you're still helping others to cheat. I've seen votemap ww3d on your server.

Your 'hidden' forum is no more hidden than your 98 cheat maps. More than half the MSC community belongs to your guild.

Most often, people will aways keep playing this sort of game until they feel they are on top of it. So long as there's someone who has something that they want, that they don't have, they keep hacking at it. You tell them where everything is, and that severely shortens the time it takes to finish the game, and takes away half the motivation they have had to go seek out other players and interact on-line.

Exactly why I said wouldn't bother, I know you'd just put your **** up somewhere else.

Anyone wanna take the project over? Cuz constantly dealing with **** like this is getting to be too much for me.

I don't believe there was a request to make Keledros drop 5k again, it was simply stated that at one point in time he DID drop that. Even I, a gold-monger, would hate to see him drop that much again!

Thothie, J-M doesn't cheat, votemap ww3d isn't so much of a cheat since you still have to fight the monsters on ww3d to win it. The boss still works and everything. If a noob who couldn't fight in ww1 or ww2 goes straight to ww3, he will die all the faster. And for those of us who don't want to go through ww1 or 2, we could simply start a server directly on ww3; although anybody who skips #1 & #2 is stupid... because that's a LARGE amount of XP they lose by skipping those...

The cheatmaps that can be accessed from J-M's website... perhaps you should try requesting that J-M change all of those to be your uncheated maps, so people get to waste their time for attempting to cheat... And even so, nobody gets away with cheating on FN; and I don't think it matters if anybody cheats on their LAN character.

As for everyone knowing where everything is, or pretty much so... they could find that out through cheating up a powerful LAN char and whoring up all the maps that they want to; taking away our means to communicate will only empower desire to cheat. Better have us all work together than to revive the meaning of "asdas" :D

Finally, PLEASE don't ditch MSC. You're the most active dev'like figure to arrive in this gaming community EVER! You've produced more patches and glitch-fixes than all the rest of the MSC devs combined!