Where to find a Torkalanth Blade?

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
you know, normally I woulden't be for a character wipe on final. However, the scale of this game is out of whack compared to how much content is planned. That is, unless you want to make other elements in the game completely superior to the ones we have now. According to the current outline for the beta mapping/scaling of difficulty, the hardest content we have acess to (and proportionally, the best gear/spells) is roughly 60-70% the quality of the level 30-40+ zones and gear approx. What I'm getting at is if the content we have acess to now would have to either be topped by better things in all elements, or a re-arranging of sequencing would be in order. My resoning is, most everyone has most everything they want, aside from a spell here and a weapon there. So either the new content (such a desert, frozen north, sea, and forest) will all have to top what we have now in scale to prevent the need for a character wipe on final due to proportion. Or.... we could just chalk it up to "hey, you played beta, your reward is your pre-final character", then scramble things in proportion to the new world you've forged.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well once everything is as good as it's going to get for a while, and there is a nice curve of difficulty for maps in the land of daragoth... I think a wipe would be a nice thing to have... and playing beta a reward is simply knowing how to play, how to become stronger, how to find rares, and more importantly teach/guide/(laugh at how stupid) all the new players that join this game once it's complete and completely awesome.

No need to worry about a wipe though because... yeah the game isn't complete and maybe it never will be. (never has) ZOMG! Mastersword is like the "Never Ending Story!" minus big flying hairy monster thing

eh... new idea from mario's butt-OH! i mean head
Axes suck... yes they do... new axe weapon yessss...
Lately I've been thinking about when I get my new computer that I wanna jump on a MMO sooo I have been looking at FFXI bc... well they have Dragoons... and Dragoons are cool bc they jump really high to land on heads with a pointy stick...

MASTERSWORD NEEDS A POINTY STICK WEAPON!
(Zip up your short pants!)

Dragon Spear (drawing) [ <------~ ] =D

Specs:
Slow speed
Med-High damage
Great Range
A lil bit more accurate than Great Axe (not close at all to accuracy of dwarven)
Maybe Lightning element with low chance for stun

Special Ablilities:
Pierces through multiple targets
-Damage is lowered on targets following the first
(thinking either halves or thirds being dropped from damage)

"Charge" Attacks:
1st charge(white): "Penta-Thrust"
-5 attacks
-Very fast attack speed
-twice as accurate compared to normal attack
-damage is lower than lowest possible normal attack damage BUT not randomized (i.e. like martial arts damage)
-attack does not pierce through targets
-can turn while doing attack and have it hit multiple adjacent targets (up ur sensitivity =P)
-character makes funny warcry sound, enemies make funny dying sound, then mario farts =O

2nd charge(red): "JUMP!"
-SUPER HIGH DAMAGE! (2.5 times bc 2x is just lame =p)
-ACCURACY 100% (but can be parried =P)
-takes SKILL to use (=P my tongue hurts from doing this too much)
-character "jumps" or is basically thrown vertically in the air
-character has to land on or near enemy (crouching helps)
-character has to time their next click/attack to strike thier enemy on their descent (if they hit the enemy when they are already on the ground they are stunned like the wannabe dragoon bitch they are)
-recoil damage from falling damage
-character actually makes a cool warcry sound
-LOTS OF BLOOD GUSH FROM ENEMIES! (due to high damage)

yyyyyup... came up with idea today at work... yeahhh some idiot had to be sick so i was stuck closing this weekend at carls jr. (my first job! >_<) I was mopping the dining room and when I would drain the mop i would twist it first and kind of stab before pulling the lever... hence I was thinking about dragoonness the whole time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Why there will be no character wipe

1.) Obviously you weren't around for the "great character wipe threat" that occurred back in February (it maybe archived in NML). We had more than 10 servers back then, mostly packed, just about every day. I had 8/8 people on my insanely lagtastic server, pretty much 24/7. Then there was the announcement of an impending character wipe due to some game changes. We lost about 80% of that population (maybe more) within two weeks of that announcement. (I've server stats I keep on record just to remind myself of this - weekly collection of ever-shrinking chat logs.) Of that 80%, I think maybe two came slinking back, after the threat was withdrawn.

We were threatening to delete two months of character progress back then - imagine the impact on this game if we threatened to wipe a year!

2.) If every MMORPG decided to wipe all characters every time some godlike player showed up - how long do you think the industry would last?

3.) The nubs gain levels much faster than the vets ever did for a great number of reasons, not the least of which, is they can have the vets help them. Then there's JM's thread, and the general increased proficiency of the rumor mill to take into account. And of course, a great increase in the number of stats to level (in magic) and a great deal more ways to level everything else. There are bigger, badder, higher XP monsters than ever before are floating around, and bigger, badder weapons than every before to kill them with. Most new players manage to gain the stats in two to three months it's taken the vets almost a year to acquire.

4.) 99% requests for character wipes are just players being jealous of other players.

At around level 30 leveling becomes exceedingly difficult, at about 40, it becomes damned near impossible. Somewhere between 50 and 60, characters become damned near invulnerable. So it is true, there is, more or less, a level cap on this game. I'm going to try to balance out the game so players will need to have been playing as long as our current top ten vets to reach said levels, the vets themselves can expect to spend about half the time they've spent already to do the same. (Or they would, but tbh, the vets don't keep the same play-pace as the nubs. They usually just play long enough to find whatever new fangled thing it is they don't already have. Again, once people have everything in the game they want, they tend to drop off.)

I'm hoping to have everything done by mid next year... Which means our first "Apostles" will probably appear around six months after that (probably much sooner, but I can always hope). I'm hoping, within a year of that, MS:S will be ready to begin its first baby steps into the gaming world, and this game will end it's service as an ad for that mod - then, you'll effectively have your char wipe the same way EverQuest2 had one: engine upgrade.

...and it's the same as with Evercrack and WOW - most of the exploits and sweet farming spots that existed in the initial release are no longer there - ya don't see them doing a character wipe to even that playing field.

If someone picks up the project from me, the policy may changed, but so long as I have any say in the matter, to make things clear and concise:

THERE WILL BE NO CHARACTER WIPE!
If I have to, I will post this rant everytime someone brings it up to make that clear. ><

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Maybe a scrambling/reproportioning of items, xp gains, monsters and such? I would assume some of that would go on anyway as the packing peanuts settle.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Then there's JM's thread
Just for your information, I didn't make that thread. Belmont did. I'm not trying to blame him for anything, but I'm just trying to make sure you get your facts straight. I do, however, post in Belmont's thread :mrgreen:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
elfstone222 said:
Maybe a scrambling/reproportioning of items, xp gains, monsters and such? I would assume some of that would go on anyway as the packing peanuts settle.

We get pretty hefty balance tweeks in every revision, so you can expect more of that, especially with new map releases.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I would hope, the way things were scaling the desert would pwn the frost reigon, and the lightning the desert, aside from old undies castle up there. There is the thing about characters eventually being tanks flinging artifact weapons and ancient spells while parrying 90% of all incoming magics and attacks with their left pinkeys.... Do you plan to change parts of the system to where it doesn't become like that, and have a cap on character level, or will the game stop around level 45-50?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, no... I mean, the statistical level cap is fairly effective. Even hacking via cheatmaps and ***mod, you gotta do some pretty insane stuff to reach "apostle" levels. What I *may* do is cap Parry so you don't become invulnerable (and/or try to make flags that certain attacks can't be parried [like poison - v. annoying]) - but I see no real need to cap anything else. Midas well let the gods compete for top-god, as it were. ;)