The overly is HUDgly

Lilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm kinda sick of the current HUD/overlay/status indicators or whatever you wish to call it, so I tossed together a little plan on a much nicer one.
I'd like to hear suggestions on it, and if it is liked I'd be willing to draw up icons and try my hand at the whole HUD (HUDs are the ONE THING I am capable of making) though, unfortunately, I'm not totally sure if everything is possible or if the developers would like the HUD redone and would be willing to change the code somewhat...

Also, I forgot about the little 3D guy. He can stay of course, as the note in the image says, there's more room between the health bar and the event box.

Lilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Snow Wolf / RaZoR said:
Ähm, The yellow thingie shouldnt show the monsters HP, why do we have a (SPOILER LOL) there :p

It's a replacement for the bloodstone showing it over the monster, as fat enemy tend to block it. It won't always be yellow obviously.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Lilly said:
Snow Wolf / RaZoR said:
Ähm, The yellow thingie shouldnt show the monsters HP, why do we have a (SPOILER LOL) there :p

It's a replacement for the bloodstone showing it over the monster, as fat enemy tend to block it. It won't always be yellow obviously.

You can't except him, to figure that out :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sadly, no one since Dogg has figured how to add sprites to the hud.

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey Lilly, you up for a bit of coding? Thothie sends his thanks. :oldlol: Really though, a new HUD would be great, especially if the HP bar-upsidedown-blocking-entire-frigging-view issue could be resolved.

brian4

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Dogg has been having trouble connecting to this site.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Clan Hunter said:
Well for some reason or another lilly's access to here is down (dunno why, had the same issue last night myself) but she says: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... dification

That would be for the Source SDK, so most of that is probably useless. But it can't be that hard to get a Sprite into the HUD, if I find the HL1 SDK I'll look into it.

Edit:
doing a quick search found:
m_hSprite = LoadSprite(PAIN_NAME);
SPR_Set(m_hSprite, r, g, b );
SPR_DrawAdditive( 0, x, y, NULL );

but this was some random "hl_sdk_v23_source.exe"

Lilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Shadeska said:
Hey Lilly, you up for a bit of coding? Thothie sends his thanks. :oldlol: Really though, a new HUD would be great, especially if the HP bar-upsidedown-blocking-entire-frigging-view issue could be resolved.

I wish I could code... as I said all I can do is draw HUDs, and even then only when I get lucky.
The HUD I draw are of course nicer looking then the first one, that was just a paint toss-together.

I also have a few other ideas (for the actual hud in the lower left) that I shall draw up shortly. Though I like the weight on the original, don't wanna change that...

PS: Yay I can get to the site again.

Lilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Okay here's another idea for the HUD. I'm having fun with these even if Thothie can't put them in...

Keep in mind it will be less paintey if they are going in, as I will make them pretty in photoshop :3

EDIT: Stamina changed!

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
A hud like castlevania games... but would take to much space in the screen unless its small

gfs_45539_2_1.jpg

Slaytanic_pb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Does the health bar have to look so phallic? It should really matter if that's the way you want to make it, and it's great you're willing to put some effort into contributing. Just the thought of having to look at my D*** on the lower left hand side while I'm playing to see if I'm ok seems... well... ghey... Well, I guess it's different if you're a chic looking at it...

Thou, I'm not sure how exactly one can make a status bar and it not look a little phallic. Oh wait, there is... doh... those are bottles, not bars.

Actually, it's great that someone would like to put some effort in changing the HUD. The game has made some great improvements over the pass couple of years, but the HUD hasn't changed in that time and it's time something been changed to the HUD to match those great improvements in the game. Changing the text position for chat and bloodstone ring bar would be a good thing. Thou I doubt that it would be easily possible, it would be great if the chat could be put into it's own box that could be moved to where you want it. Somehow I don't think that would be possible in game and would have to be changed in a .cfg file, if at all. Thou if you could move it, and change the colour of the text too, then some comments for colours to chose from to also change the text colour would also be helpful.

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is there something you'd like to tell us, Slay? You're really the only person I've ever heard of who thinks that health bars look like penises. Hm?

Picadilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I totally love the elemental/poison/stun indicator idea.

I've also always hoped that someone would add a ice shield timer. I mean it already tells you how many seconds it's applied for, but I often fail to set my stopwatch when Maldora is zapping me into another universe with yellow lightning! Please consider the ice shield timer.

Also, am I taking crazy pills? Why is Lilly the first one to mention that white text on white azz ms_snow? In fact, it's been a rule on Revolution for some time that u must leave settime 0 when I'm on ms_snow, cause I can't find my weapons and read the chat!

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I think it looks really good and would definitely like to have it in-game. But, in an effort to please everyone. Try making new concepts of the HUD rather than touch ups of your original. One idea would be, to turn the original into a sword or double-bladed sword.

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Slaytanic_pb said:
Does the health bar have to look so phallic? It should really matter if that's the way you want to make it, and it's great you're willing to put some effort into contributing. Just the thought of having to look at my D*** on the lower left hand side while I'm playing to see if I'm ok seems... well... ghey... Well, I guess it's different if you're a chic looking at it....

How awesome would it be if your health bar also got longer the more hp you had? You could compare to see who gets the treasure, fix the chests problems at the same time 8).

Who honestly thinks of that when thinks of it as a phallic symbol? She could make an upside down triangle if you like it better.

P|Barnum said:
I think it looks really good and would definitely like to have it in-game. But, in an effort to please everyone. Try making new concepts of the HUD rather than touch ups of your original. One idea would be, to turn the original into a sword or double-bladed sword.

Just listen to Barnum.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Picadilly said:
Also, am I taking crazy pills? Why is Lilly the first one to mention that white text on white azz ms_snow? In fact, it's been a rule on Revolution for some time that u must leave settime 0 when I'm on ms_snow, cause I can't find my weapons and read the chat!

ms_txthud_bgtrans 0

CSS

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hud that fixes the giant upside down potion bottle for ATi Radeon users would be fantastic.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, one of the primary tasks I've given to our coders, is to find a way to get Hud icons so I can give condition indicators.

I suspect we'd need more room than that one bubble, as there are a lot of stackable conditions, and I'd like it to indicate things like ice sheild, etc.

I'd also, perhaps most importantly, like to have a status icon for FN connection. You guys don't realize how unstable the FN connection really is, and it'd help the wary avoid losing items or bjorking gauntlet transitions.

But again, no one's managed to pull it - and I'm afraid that the standard method may no longer work in MSC.

Markkanen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I suspect we'd need more room than that one bubble, as there are a lot of stackable conditions, and I'd like it to indicate things like ice sheild, etc.

Oh that would be really nice :D I really hope it can be done. BTW How was the "standard method" to check the FN status? Since it prolly wouldn't work in MSC anymore.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, it used to be that you'd get a pop-up every time FN connected or disconnected. This would result in the spam of hundreds of these messages from time to time (most inconvenient). I figure a tiny blinking FN icon in one corner wouldn’t be so bad.

Lilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:

Could is fade-cycle through them semi-rapidly? That'd look nice and function.
Also, if they do find a way, does that mean you want me to draw up a nicer HUD?

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, one of the primary tasks I've given to our coders, is to find a way to get Hud icons so I can give condition indicators.

Well if you want to send me some source code [Client code would be all I'd need] to sift through, I'll give it a good look over to see if I can get it something to work for you.