Suggestion(s) for donations

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Everquest said:
And why do we have official servers, as official as can be, that do have the leveling up and gold attained faster? Are there any FN that are just normal as the game intended? I suppose then there would be the leveling gap between players, but that would be my own business to enjoy the game naturally with no artificial ingredients or preservatives. :p
Well, it's simple enough to slow yourself down, if you want, by concentrating on one weapon line, or using crap equipment, but the main reason is to entice people to play online together. The XP bonus isn't terribly excessive when you're alone (and the gold boost is pretty much meaningless). Shouldn't have to worry about growing too quickly, as there's plenty of challenges for even the max level characters (or at least they are still b*tching about it being too hard, so that's a good sign.)

Everquest said:
And you mean voice acting like full blown conversations or just something to fill the air with banter and give the allusion of conversations/voice acting?
They
Never
Shut
Up
(srsly)

Everquest said:
But then, if the player limit is still 32 or less, a server, thus a whole map, would be too full to load for a waiting player
Oh boy are you in for disappointment... The official servers, despite being truly beastly machines, can really only handle 5 players at a time, despite being set for 8 (on a low level map, with low level characters *maybe* it could handle all eight, but it wouldn't be very stable). The game itself can't really track more than 10 players, beyond that a lot of things would break (beyond stability, its actual ability to track players). Thus, team-wise, the game's much closer to Left4Dead, Borderlands, or Vermintide, than it is to say, Everquest. (Although grind-wise, yes, it's probably closer to Everquest.)

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:

I am not sure if this happend by accident, but it seems you have hidden a nice tiny little teaser for an upcoming feature in there. It somehow sounds a little "diablolish" ;)

Everquest

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, it's simple enough to slow yourself down, if you want, by concentrating on one weapon line, or using crap equipment, but the main reason is to entice people to play online together. The XP bonus isn't terribly excessive when you're alone (and the gold boost is pretty much meaningless). Shouldn't have to worry about growing too quickly, as there's plenty of challenges for even the max level characters (or at least they are still b*tching about it being too hard, so that's a good sign.)

Well in any MMORPG you can do things purposely to slow your experience and gold gaining down, but that wasn't the point.

Thothie said:
Oh boy are you in for disappointment... The official servers, despite being truly beastly machines, can really only handle 5 players at a time, despite being set for 8 (on a low level map, with low level characters *maybe* it could handle all eight, but it wouldn't be very stable). The game itself can't really track more than 10 players, beyond that a lot of things would break (beyond stability, its actual ability to track players). Thus, team-wise, the game's much closer to Left4Dead, Borderlands, or Vermintide, than it is to say, Everquest. (Although grind-wise, yes, it's probably closer to Everquest.)

To be honest, I only took it for granted that it could hold 32 players because that is what most HL online games can do or at least 24 as I see a lot of servers use. Regardless I have never seen more than four or five other people online anyway.

But it reminds me more of Phantasy Star Online, (Especially the SEGA Dreamcast version.) where you can have hundreds of players in a central hub or chat room, but the actual questing is done by no more than one 4 man team. However there could be dozens of teams doing the exact same quest if they all chose it, but done in dimensionally (?) different servers for lack of a better term.

But I use the term Everquest because it is better known and also gives me such good feelings (Before they screwed it up...) like this game does.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, best I can do for ya. Truth be told, given the time investment involved, if you play solo offline, you probably won't get to experience much of the game, lest you devote your life to it.

Everquest said:
you can have hundreds of players in a central hub or chat room, but the actual questing is done by no more than one 4 man team. However there could be dozens of teams doing the exact same quest if they all chose it
Closer to my idea for MSS, where the Central Server would serve as a character hash system verifier and global chat hub, while the actual hosting would be done via listenservers. You could wander around town or solo stuff until you saw someone in the global chat, and join them by right clicking, or have them join you. Sadly, both Source and HL1 are kinda finicky about having your ports open proper, so it could be a fruitless endeavor.

I suppose we could add a global FN chat channel (I *might* be able to do that without too much assistance from MiB - though it'd probably have some lag time), but, sadly, our game has proven to be far too easy and tempting to cheat on to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry (or three other people I won't name) to host an FN listenserver.

Hush said:
I am not sure if this happend by accident, but it seems you have hidden a nice tiny little teaser for an upcoming feature in there. It somehow sounds a little "diablolish" ;)
Yes, totally by accident. (Although I really was testing a bug report related to it, so I wasn't totally wasting my MSC dev time making those.)

I should also apologize for the old elves still being there. The new ones are ready to go, but I've not tweaked up the map yet. (Granted, still need to do those wizards, yeesh.)

I really shoulda filmed the Edeadna Branch Galat guy though.

"Items to store in... Delicious meat hands, please."
"Wonderous Scroll of Galat Storage... Summons chest with demonic magiks... Use anywhere... Exchange is much golds... Or one soul."
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Everquest

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Closer to my idea for MSS, where the Central Server would serve as a character hash system verifier and global chat hub, while the actual hosting would be done via listenservers. You could wander around town or solo stuff until you saw someone in the global chat, and join them by right clicking, or have them join you. Sadly, both Source and HL1 are kinda finicky about having your ports open proper, so it could be a fruitless endeavor.

I suppose we could add a global FN chat channel (I *might* be able to do that without too much assistance from MiB - though it'd probably have some lag time), but, sadly, our game has proven to be far too easy and tempting to cheat on to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry (or three other people I won't name) to host an FN listenserver.

A real shame. I like that idea a lot about the right clicking and joining another player in their own server. But people would create official FN listenservers and allow for cheating? I thought FN were dedicated servers only anyway.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Everquest said:
Thothie said:

A real shame. I like that idea a lot about the right clicking and joining another player in their own server. But people would create official FN listenservers and allow for cheating? I thought FN were dedicated servers only anyway.
FN works on listenservers, if you have the port's current password. It's just generally we only give it to those who can run a DS 24/7, favoring those located in a region RKS doesn't already cover. The proposed MSS model would assume your central server was publically accessible without a password.