Suggestion Brainstorming Thread

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
........All I have to say is....No. Just...No.

hugjuffs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Come on. Use your imagination. It would link it all together in one cohesive world. That'd be pretty cool. It wouldn't be too bad for catching a hold of new players, either (What's going to be more interesting? Nobody in Edana or 5 people talking about how they can't save a town from an orc invasion?)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Firstly, there is no conceivable way that I can see that any server, no matter their power, can run 2 maps at the same time. It goes against that thing...what was it...oh yeah, the HL engine. Even if it were do-able, it would be laggier than hell. Oh, and hell IS laggy. They have dial up.

Anyways, and what's so hard about goint to "Establish/Visit a Kingdom"? You really don't need a plugin in to take people to thornlands or any other map.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
they may not be able to run two maps at the same time but I can run two server process at the same time with little to no lag on my server, it is all about how you prioritize the processes on the server.

he has a good idea but not really concivable, mostly because MS:C would need more than just a couple people running random servers. On top of that even if one could get the program to do said thing and get all the server admins to go along with it what happens when one wants to pull out? it would work if the MS:C community was much bigger. However it is a good idea, and would be cool, the first HL1 mod to do MMO style type play.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
It's already been discussed on the MSC forums here: about linking multiple servers together, each on a different map allowing a traversible world... yet not interrupting nublets & their training at oh say Edana.

Technically it COULD be done, but it would be a BITCH to do! I know it could be done because for Natural-Selection there are already servers that use amxmodx to automatically redirect you, based on a certain command that is sent, to another server. Back when Aero Combat servers were still alive (and they all died), they had certain servers that did one map 24/7, and you could type that mapname into your console & be redirected to the server hosting that map just like that.

So yes, this idea is plausible; yet it would require like six reliable, all up-to-thothiedate servers on all the time, and amxmodx compatibility with MSC. Also access to those auto-redirecting plugins :D

hugjuffs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well. Soon I'll be getting a lappy, so I can shlepp this tower out of the way somewhere and access it through a shell accoount and use it as a server. So that's one that could be up all the time. There's like two that're like constantly up, aye? Hell's Diner and yours, Blasto. So that'll be three that're constantly up. If it's cool and players get stuck on it, maybe others will keep a server up. As for the scripting, I'm making good progress on learning C++ and I'll keep it in mind. Cause I think it'd be cool if it was manageable.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
hugjuffs said:
Here's an idea. All online servers work together to do something. Instead of choosing a server to play on, people choose the location. Let's say 4 people start in Edana. One wants to travel on to the Thornlands, but others want to train up on rats and boars. That one player can simply press enter next to the Thornlands travel area and they'll be put on a different server for Thornlands. If no server has Thornlands, an idle one will step up and host Thornlands. If Master Sword is REALLY busy and no servers can host, the player sets up his own server. Or we could have the really powerful servers host two maps at once. That would be cool.

...you do realize that this was how MS is set up to work in the first place? Right?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If the idea HAD worked, MS-devs would've made some $mun$, since Gabe The Baby Eater (ahaha) would've heard about it & wanted in on the server connection :D
Also there'd be about five-thousand (5,000) more MSC players today, and several seperate hosted forums to hold onto the people (since it surely would've attracted MMO freaks too).

hugjuffs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Haha. Sorry guys. I wasn't here in the beginning. :( Too bad it didn't work out like that. Think it's likely to work in Source?

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Actually, it DID work. Back in the day, when it was first implemented, server hopping was actually a lot more stable than changing the map the server was playing on. However, this was overshadowed by the fact that the servers weren't stable at all anyway, so it didn't really matter. :)

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
we need different classes.

necros, elemetals, warriors, paladins, ect

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
sorry for double post but..

there should also be a map that you can bring up and it shows where you have been to and what is still unknown.

... or not if no one likes it

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
omgrevive!

i suggest that we beef up archery...for one, bows aren't that heavy, and in some cases bows were more effective against armored units in medieval times, this is because all of thier force is on a single point and it pierces armor...

so, suggestions to beef up archery without too much work...

+make the jagged arrows into stacks of 60 instead of 30
+make jagged arrows sell at the store for about 50-100 gold each stack
+envenomed arrows need extra impact damage if they're going to be that expensive.
+leave fire arrows alone, they're the archers torch...not a massive damage arrow.
+introduce a few higher class arrows (above jagged)
---these would only be avaliable via boss battles/chests
---suggestions include enchanted arrows(a few types, lightning, fire, ice, holy)[to avoid confusion with fire arrows and envenomed, call them "arrows of flame" "arrows of lightning" etc], a revival of silver tipped (general purpose).
+bother people to get the crossbow in soon :D

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
The return of the MasterSword v1.35 arrows (bold font = arrows that should be in):
- Wooden arrow
- Broadhead arrow
- Silver-tipped arrow
- Jagged arrow
- Fire arrow

I think these are all arrows types from the previous version.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yeah, the only reason i didn't include broadhead arrows is because...what would they be strong against? they could be added as something of a intermediate arrow between the current iron arrows and a powered up jagged arrow...that would be good.

also, silver tipped arrows...should they be the strongest general purpose arrow? or should they be some sort of "magical elf arrow" that flies completely straight, dealing a decent amount of damage (50-70 at level 20) ...effectively turning the bow into a sniper...

and of course, broad arrows would be sold in stores...silver tipped would not...and should be somewhere where they are NON-FARMABLE..IE: you have to actually do things to get them...and i'm not talking about kill a single spider *cough* jaggeds...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
SORRY ABOUT DOUBLEPOSTYNESS!!!

but ah, i've had a few ideas...

one of them is very easy, and i can do it on my own (with proper permissions from kuroneko and thothie). though it does make me a kind of unoficial dev ;)

1) to get more people back into MSC, you need to let them know that the mod isn't dead...its actually far from dead right now...if we could get a MSC 1.1 profile up on sites like moddb and planet half-life, i'm sure some of the people who ran away because of an impending character wipe would come back! I can put up a profile for MSC 1.1 on moddb, and post news articles and pictures of new features when thothie makes them avaliable...some of these might even get to the frontpage of moddb, so people are bound to notice them and at least try out MSC.

2) we need to attract a few modellers somehow, so a MSC 1.1 profile with some help wanteds might be a good thing...

3) bows need powered up (and i'll keep saying it over and over)

4) new arrow idea: drake claw arrow (could be some sort of uber arrow introduced in a later map)

5) oh man, i had an awesome idea for #5 and now i forgot it...maybe i'll remember it later and post again...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
As far as I can tell and have been told, kill in console does NOT take exp. Thus, someone could bind it to a key and use it at the last second to avoid losing exp against anything. 15 seconds of not being able to move puts a stop to that

(I think 15 is too long but 3 is too short)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
kill in console does NOT take exp

Hence the delay.

I dunno though, I maybe able to rig up a command called "killmeNOW" that does take XP - or maybe, if you'd been attacked in the previous 15 seconds (so, say, if you got stuck in some rocks exploring far from mobs you could insta-kill yourself without penalty) - otherwise I'd leave it as it is.

Granted, until I altered the rest time - I used to just kill myself all the time just to restore my MP - since it took longer than 15 seconds of sitting to do that.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i still dont like the idea of xp loss on death... it seems sorta lame... maybe u should make it to where u only loose parry xp or something...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Some of your suggestions were simple to employ. I'm certainly open to more, particularly on the expendable item end. What I've got working today included::

Holy arrows - do Holy damage. Great against undead and demonic thingies - kinda useless against anything else. Purchasable and locatable in out of the way places...

Greater Holy Arrows - do a LOT of Holy damage, and turn undead. (basically nasty arrow + rebuke undead) still not sure where to put these... (also, I think frost arrows are actually in the current patch, just not in-game. Morc_rangers are supposed to drop them, but do not due to bug.)

Potion of Protection/Greater - Expensive, but long lasting 25% to 50% protection from an expendable potion that should last you a map.

Potion of Speed - Similar to the Raven Lance effect - little easier to control though. Lasts a good long time but is not for the feint of pocket book.

Other semi-notables:
Poison Cloud spell - High level affliction spell that creates a large cloud of highly damaging poison. Stays around for a good long time, poisons enemies that walk into. XP transfers fairly well, and unlike Blizzard and Lightning storm, the effect is truly persistent. (This effort may open up opportunities to fix those as well)

Acid Bolt - High level affliction spell, fairly fast firing bolts of acid with a small blast radius that do massive amounts of damage. Undead are affected - nothing to date has acid resistance. XP transfers perfectly.

Lesser Ice Blade - It's a MORC thang... ;)

Fire Gauntlets - Up and running

Pack issues fixed: With Frost Bolt, Ice Bolt, and Gauntlets

Flinch changes - now requires that you do at least 4% of a monster's total HP in damage to cause a flinch (fixes issues with trolls going BD when hit by low level poison spells and the like). 4% is the baseline, it can be adjusted up or down depending on the script.

Note I've not actually released the patch with all this crap yet...

I'm VERY open for new ideas for expendable items, as we do need a way to spend all this spare cash we seem to have, and many of these ideas are pretty simple to implement, and thus maybe can be done on the side with some of the above priorities. I really gotta cut down on that though. ;)

Other MSC 1.1 crew:
Crow seems to be on the job again, hopefully we can look forward to something from him... I'm also sure, someone, somewhere, out there, will eventually finish one of those 'almost done' crossbow models I've been promised. :roll: Fuzzy maybe able to do some things for me when he gets his net in full gear... I'm *hoping* with his help, if the MS.DLL proves to be too much for him as well (as I suspect is the case), we can at least tweak the sc.dll compiler in such a way that we can open the script system, without the can of worms that would normally go with such a prospect. Then all you mappers can make your own NPC's, keys, quest items, and maybe even monsters. (sans XP, Gold, Weapons, and non-quest item Drops, which would be determined by the dev-only compiler) I'm going to go pester Gaz now and see if I can weasel any table scraps from the model tweaking end...