New Dread Scythe model

zEdge3

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Orochi said:
The stick handle is a box? I made eveything in that using cylinders, spheres, and the face creation tool. The blade isn't pink, it's red. It's an effing weapon built for the Apostle of Chaos, it would be magical in some way, don't you think?
he's getting pissed :eek:

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I wish I could get some photorealistic textures for the different parts, though, it looks like shit currently.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, I had no intention nor idea it was intended to be an apostle weapon. I've no use for apostle weapons until both The Frozen Tear and The Observatory are done - suspect a ways down the line.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The Dread Scythe, Orion Sword, and the Orion Bow are all Apostle weapons. Dread Scythe is for the Apostle of Chaos, and the Orion Bow and Orion Sword are for the Apostle of Order.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Check out the new scythe! Completely redid the Dread Scythe model, using a true reference picture this time. Also, texture looks like shit, partly because the only texture I could find was the reference picture itself. The texture is not final, but the mesh is fully finished. For comparison, check out the reference shot on the first page. This weighs in at around 1787 polies.

ssside1.jpg

ssside2.jpg

sstop1.jpg

sstop2.jpg

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I used a wall-reference setup to make it. I put two giant panels in the model editor, and put pictures of the weapon in different views on the panels. I used the cylinder, face creation, and scale tools a lot. I want to see what Lanethan thinks of it.

FYI, Thothie, I AM getting other modelwork done too. :wink:

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
pretty cool, but i dunno if it should replace the "DREAD" scythe... i just don't see it as chaotic enough... it's ofcourse done better then the current dread scythe... Looks more like a dragon scythe or something... feels kinda like it's part of a pterodactyl fashioned into a weapon and enchanted.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If that scythe doesnt appear next month i will die :oldcry:

Looks more like a dragon scythe

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Uh, go play Soul Calibur 3, and you'll see. It's the weapon of a guy who looks like death himself. :wink:

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I never played SC3 but i know who the guy is, sasalamel or something like that.

EDIT: i heard too many polys on a model is not reccomended but what consequences it has over performance?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Actually, it is both Abyss' and Zasalamel's weapon. And too many polies can cause FPS lag, but on Goldsource games it tends to have little impact. Also, since it is an apostle weapon, I doubt it will appear for a very long time.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Uh, because much more of the world would have to be found, and the Apostles would have to be around for it to exist. Plus, it's a godly-powered weapon, so it wouldn't be available for a long time.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
How the heck did you get that out of what I said?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I mean since it's so overpowered, it won't be in until The Frozen Tear or The Observatory are around. So, it will be a while before we can ever touch it :p

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hope thothie implements some level-restrictors for at LEAST the apostle weapons (similar to drunkification, if not proper level)

and hopefully for the next tier of weapons (laaavaaaa swoooord/flame lick)

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Its nice, but I have a few concerns.

Its a very high poly count for the models silhoutte. I would recomment taking down the polys on the pole. (I can't see a wireframe so Im guessing :))

The same for the top of the model, its too smooth, you could take out some rings and loops.

For the Actual blade, you could use a texture with alpha on, to mask it into looking rounder.

The other thing that bothers me, is the texture, it looks planar mapped, and thats never good. It also looks very blurry, you need to unwrap the model, and texture it on at least a 256x256 texture, using all the texture space you can for a higher pixel density.

Hope that helps :)