New Dread Scythe model

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I made this from scratch, the textures likely won't be final, but the mesh is pretty much complete, save for rigging and fixing the backface errors. (The backface errors do not show in the editor.)

*images removed due to old, scroll down*

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Attack of Tucan Sam? ;)

Not to nitpick - but any progress on anything we actually need? I mean, I know you modelers really like to do your own thing and all, but we're on a time table here. ;)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It's not supposed to look like Toucan Sam, it's supposed to look like a scythe. Some of the textures are simply fillers until I get better ones. The blade is also transparent.

In regards to your other statement. Yes, there is progress, but I would like to actually talk to you about it over AIM :wink:

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It's based off a specific reference picture, it has the big parts in the reference. I'll see if I wrangle it. bear in mind that the spikes are chrome and the blade is additive. Plus, these textures are just fillers.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Here be the reference picture.

scytheo.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dun think HL can handle the curves without making them look cartoony. *maybe* if you break it up into individual segments, but not worth the polys nor time to do. Current Dread Scythe is fine (better than that, in anycase)

Send your progress files via PM / E-mail. I don't feel like waiting for things to download over AIM.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, I fixed every backface, and applied different textures, as well as got rid of that godawful hilt-thing on the bottom.

scythe.jpg

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It's not supposed to be wood. It was the only texture I could find that remotely resembled the reference picture.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The dread scythe of pinkness.

...mind you, I'm only giving you a hard time to encourage you to move onto something we actually need done. ;)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
the wood thingie where the pink edge hangs must get more thick near the handle and not just a "stick". just like in the reference picture

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It's BASED on it, not a copy of it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Same diff. ;) Suspect he's saying it'd be better if it looked more like its "base".
dread_scythe.gif
The business end of our current Dread Scythe is better than that one. The stick isn't quite so ornate though, mayhaps you can mix and match... Sometime when there's nothing else to do, mind you. ;)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie, the blade is energy, not glass or solid. the only reason that the current scythe doesn't have the arch-stick hanging overtop the blade is because the modeller was too lazy to model that part. It's supposed to be there, it just isn't.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I didnt say to copy it but it would look much better if the "thing" (dont remember what its name) that holds the edge gets expanded when near the handle.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bloody metal blade > pink energy blade. There's nothing suggesting, nor any need, for anything hanging over the blade top, don't see any laziness in that department. Only laziness I see is that the stick handle itself is just a box, but it still don't look too bad, as the business end is what you tend to notice the most on a scythe anyways.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The stick handle is a box? I made eveything in that using cylinders, spheres, and the face creation tool. The blade isn't pink, it's red. It's an effing weapon built for the Apostle of Chaos, it would be magical in some way, don't you think?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Glad someone does. You think it's a weapon suitable for an Apostle? And Thothie's just trying to get me offa this and onto the other stuff. :wink:

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It's certainly got the same crazy flavor as what I'd consider apostle-worthy. Maybe the energy blade needs some work tho... it is a bit pinkish right now, a deeper red hue would be nice.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Stop encouraging him! >< Next thing, yer gonna tell Gaz how wonderful his rats look! :oldcry:

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Chill, Thothie, I told ya over PM, I'm working on it even now. And Lanethan, the blade is pinkish because:

a) That is the effect that making it additive has on it.
b) Look at the blade on the reference picture on the first page. :wink: