Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Calruin2...

Please excuse the delays...

skele_crew.jpg

We're operatin' on a skeleton crew... ;)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i like the skeleton warriors ... but when i can ima redo theyre armor -.- seems to much like the orcs...

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Undead, undead, undead - very fine, but is there a hood under the helmet of the warriors? :)

I wonder where to find "rebuke undead", for preparing myself for great undead-battleing ;)
What about the zombiedwarfs, do they look like a "normal" small skeleton or do they have there on models?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
They're skeletons - zombies have more meat on 'em. ;)

You can blame me for the skins - blame Orochi for the armor and weaponry. I suppose I could reskin some of that armor though, and take the blame for everything. But without Orochi - I wouldn't have had the time to figure out how to add the extra skins, and the armor/weapons woulda been just plain out.

Today's Public Changelog:

Full Support for Calruin2

- New Monsters
monsters/ghoul_lesser - kewt lil ghoul
monsters/ghoul_greater - not so kewt nor lil (sry for funktastic ghoul models)
monsters/spider_turret - similar to calruin spitting spider, bit meaner, doesn't roam nor have close range attack issues

New Monster Features:
calruin/reanimate -
- Calrian's soul sucking ability is a bit less chaotic - no longer sucks the souls of dieing comrades he accidentally strikes
- May improve this a bit later to detect opponent death better / not prematurely (ie. I have some idears)
- Range reduced from insane back to semi-insane due to improved map conditions / aim checking
calruin/cavetroll -
- Blacksmith effects/behavior thogoughly revamped
- Responds to ms_npcscript events: give_clubs, invincible_on, vulnerable
monsters/troll -
- revamped all effects (required some model changes)
monsters/horror - various small improvements for the big flying machine o' death - although still need to figure a way to revamp the flight AI for all flyers.

All skeleton_base users, and the flesheater minion, now have unique submodel sets! (Thank Orochi!)

New Dwarf model! Courtesy of, he who was there at the beginning of time, Lord Lanethan himself! :D (PS. I notice the wandering dwarves are still using the old model, I shall fix this in the future.)

AI system control:
other/make_mons_dumb - if you have too many monsters in one place causing advanced AI brain death, spawn this as an NPC. This disables the advanced AI. This has the following effects:
> less lag reduction - once monsters cycle to high speed checks - they never revert
> monsters will not go to last spotted location when player goes out of sight
> monsters will not initiate advanced searches, at all
> monsters will not change FOV when struck (so some tend to ignore it when struck from behind)
> monsters will not change FOV when spotting a player (easily lose sight of player running circles around them)
> basically, other than the anti-stuck system, it reverts to the January 2006 AI
other/make_mons_smart - You can spawn this after the players leave the area to restore the advanced AI functions globally.

NOTE: Daragoth, orc village, is the ONLY place I've seen with so many mons in one place it requires this. On Daragoth, all monsters are now set dumb by default in the map_startup script.

Streamlined and made various improvements to the new AI. Monsters are far better at navigating around one another than they were. Still getting some hesitation though.

Key system:
other/keyhole - responds to any key and returns map event of same name as item used + a secondary event called "ustart"
- available keys:
- key_red //crimson key
- key_blue //sapphire key
- key_green //emerald key
- key_brass
- key_gold
- key_skeleton
- item_storageroomkey
- item_key_rusty
Keyholes that only respond to particular keys are on their way...

Traps:
traps/volcano - spawns a big nasty volcano (lasts 30 seconds), repeatable
traps/fire_wall - spawns a big nasty firewall (lasts 15 seconds), repeatable

Reflections: setup the default reflection system for models only. (much less lag) - Go third person on Edana, and take a looksie at the glass temple floors. For mappers: There's a new texture registration called reflect_full that does what the old reflect texture did (actually seems to work a tad better).

Various elemental vulnerabilities/resistances improved

New effects: haste, blind, greater_poison

New items:
Dark Maul
Raven Lance

Rejuvenate changes: In an effort to compromise between those bitching about having Rejuvenate nerfed, and those bitching about it still being far too powerful, I've done two things... ONE) I've made Rejuvenate massively more powerful (even at Divination 0) and TWO) You cannot heal while being attacked (spell fizzles if you are struck).

Many hundreds of other minor fixes...

Ye download spot: http://www.thothie.com/ms

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
DAMN you f*ckers are FAST. ;) - Fixed that (refresh the page). You guys just sit there and refresh that page all day, don't ya? (or maybe you just subcribe to it, like I do the forums...) I got 2 IM's and this less than twenty seconds after setting up that bad link. :oldshock:

While I'm on the subject:

Calruin2: http://www.thothie.com/ms/calruin2_installer.zip

Most of Calruin2 will still look familiar, aside from some retexturing (in some cases, simply restoring the old texturing). Main changes are in the boss chambers, the main attraction being the new Blacksmith chamber - which is just insane hard. [spoilers]You gotta ride some clouds and press 3 buttons to do it right. You'll need two people to ensure that BS is in the right position when you press that third button. The last two buttons are repeatable, if need be.[/spoilers]

If you are l337 enough to toe-to-toe Mr. BS - be aware you won't get a reward doing that alone ('side from XP). Also note, that sometimes, it seems, the reward appears INSIDE the hellforge anvil. Just click use on it, it'll come out.

The original Calruin was written up by Lanethan, with heavy mods by Lord K. Despite the secret credit block only having Lord K's name on it. (I feel bad about that, maybe fix in time for MSC1.1)

Again, this is a non-LS map. I can ripent up an LS version if someone really wants it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
First public test went off without a hitch... Aside from rain... ;)

Rain fixed here (in the beta package sc.dll, map is unchanged), and one other bug you may have run into elsewhere:
http://www.thothie.com/ms

Still need to fix that door... Not worth recompile/redistro though, asthetic issue. In the final version, mayhaps.

Tao

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks Thothie, ur the best, can't wait to try out all the new stuff.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I must say, these latest patches are awesome. I think I will enjoy MSC a little more everytime a patch is released making something more of MSC.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Added Calruin and the new weapons + content to the content server today for faster Downloads for unpatched clients... :oops: Knew I forgot somethin...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nothing major - server side only patch. Few balance issues - plus a bug with frost damage (blizzard).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
dz_flasher.gif

V. minor, but none-the-less worth mentioning, updates for today include:
monsters/dwarf_zombie_unarmed - 150hp 20dmg/sec
monsters/dwarf_zombie_smallaxe - 200hp 30dmg/sec
monsters/dwarf_zombie_bigaxe - 300hp 40dmg/sec + 25% stunatk
monsters/dwarf_zombie_sword- 400hp 55dmg/sec + 15% stunatk
monsters/dwarf_zombie_random - spawns one of the four above, randomly

These lil buggers can be found in Gate City, if you are on a server running the latest spawn anywhere map pack. ( http://www.thothie.com/ms )

Update is entirely server side.

ONE OTHER THING: From this update on, if you type 'date' in console, you can see the date of the server's SC.DLL - if you are on an unfamiliar server with a beta weapon, do this BEFORE you click on your character to be sure the server has the required beta-update. (Beware, date is in American standard format - so sorry.)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
that is really cool:D
so we get human zombies too?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Woot! Zombie dwarves, I will pwn these really soon; just not right now. I can't use my FN character at my dad's (which is where I am) because his Internet is too slow (averaging 15-20 KB/S download speeds). If I go to my mom's sometime soon I'll see what the hell is up with all of you online :D

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I wanna see Vampires! Please add them next, or maybe a custom race that allows us to be Vampires? Make it so that we take like 50% more dmg from everything during the daylight, but have rapid health & mana regeneration & take 25% LESS damage at night time (ex: daylight is 5AM-6PM)!!

Zombies must be accompanied by their superiour, yet still undead, brethren! Maybe a vampire-dwarf that has godmode :D

EDIT: ten seconds after initial post!
Furthermore, the vampire-dwarf should absorb enemies HP (similar to cal's soul absorb) through blood-sucking, but instead of max HP he gains like 1/4 their max (or 1/4 what he drains)!!!