INFO Latest Update News

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
if i submit a good looking map could i get it? or do only a select few people?

Yes, the current policy is, if you submit a good map (ie. you contribute to the community) you will get a copy of the sacred list. ;)

In other news....

Sorry, I meant to post this up yesterday, but I got kidnapped by Lucifer and two succubae on Satan's Day Eve.

The 6-6-6b patch is mostly to allow new crests. There are at least 7 free crest slots for new clans... Although for the less artistic, there are also several crests that likely no longer have an owner to claim them, and thus, can become the banner for new clans. See dead clan topic for details.

I've updated the Fenrin to hand out the new crests. If you are the head of a guild and aren't familiar with the Fenrin, the Crest Keeper, please PM.

Also, as some of you noticed, I semi re-enabled reflections... We'll see how that goes, but yeah, they be both laggy and buggy. There are also a few other minor changes. No critical client side DL this time around, save for those of you who want to be able to see the new crests.

PS. Oh wow, another one of my threads got sticky stuff all over it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright... Couple of updates...

First, the usual sc.dll, which I wont bother linking directly, since the file changes so often:
http://www.thothie.com/ms

Secondly, new map (or more accurately, map update):
http://www.thothie.com/ms/keledrosprelude2.rar

That archive includes the connecting maps. They are not LS, they have spawns (no one is running LS series maps, so far as I know, if it turns out we really need them, I'll make some.)

Thirdly, model fixes, courtesy of Orochi - THANK HIM IF YOU SEE HIM:
http://www.thothie.com/ms/weapon_viewmodelfix.rar
Basically, these just fix the sleeves on various view models.

Keledrosprelude2 detail: Father Brandon speaks to us from beyond the grave... This expands the original map, includes a new, really nasty boss (think lvl30+), and upgrades of the two stone mini-bosses (15+/20+ respectively), you will need to kill at least one of the two to advance to Keledrosruins.

[rant]Djinn Ji-ax script was originally Father Brandon's work, so don't yell at me - although I did alter it quite a bit. He has his own frost script, which is a tad meaner than the one I developed. I also had to stick in monster spawn triggers manually via Ripent which, I must confess/complain, is a royal pain! Father Brandon apparently never learned how SpawnStart 1 works - he actually had it so the monsters were boxed, until you get near, then the monster clip deleted to set them free... Talk about lagtastic! >< Hopefully the time I spent undoing that pays off enough to make this map less laggy than the original. - I dunno if I can do the same with Daragoth, v. hard without the source. I'll see if Lord K has it.[/rant]

SC.DLL patch detail: includes new monsters, new models, new crest, a new weapon (that yes, is in the game), and the usual plifera of minor fixes.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
notworthy.gif

http://www.thothie.com/ms/sc.dll.june-11-2006.zip
*wink wink nudge nudge*

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dern ya ferinerz and yer new fangled dating systems.

For those of you running AMX and Keledrosprelude2. here's the change to the AMX voting system to allow voting for that:
http://www.thothie.com/ms/adminvote.amx
(That goes in msc/addons/amx/plugins , overwrite original)

That now is included with the Keledrosprelude2 map, which has had a minor bug fix or two:
http://www.thothie.com/ms/keledrosprelude2.rar
self installer: http://www.thothie.com/ms/keledrosprelu ... taller.zip

Finally the SC.dll has had a v. minor update:
- Fixed summoning cap (again)
- Longsword player anims
- Djinn should no longer get stuck on own summons
- Djinn should summon ice trolls 15-30 secs apart
- Djinn a little less 'pushy' - but instead does a major launch once in awhile.
- Djinn no longer freezing people he did not hit.
- Orochi's Scimitar viewmodel now inside the dll package
- Several other minor fixes

Still working on balancing the rejuv - but dun worry... Tis not the 1hp/second I had on my server for a bit. Current system is 10+Divination Skill HP healed / Strike @ 5 mana ea. Tis still a little over-nerfed, but on the plus side, it's lag-free, so should encourage healing other players more.

None of these updates are super critcal or client side required, just posting this as these were among the more vocal concerns of the day. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Promised a lovely new update today... but seems my content server is temporarily down... Maybe maintance cycle... I shall try again tomorrow.

- Rejuv Boost
- New Keledros Model
- Bat Death Fixes
- Calruin Soul Sucking Bugs
- Keledros bugs
- Shaddarh Upgrade Part I
- ...other stuff.

*sigh* damn web site...

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie, there's a small bug in the voting system (which has been there forever). Gate City isn't counted as a town.

Your voting system should allow players to vote for level changes to town areas (Edana, Helena, Deralia and Gate City) but 'gatecity' is not on the list.

Next to that, I think all the adjacent maps are correct (I haven't seen any bugs).

TrupaJay

New Adventurer
Reaction score
speaking of the votemap system i think you should make it where there has to be more "For"s than "Against"s it seems some people change the map when they want and dont ask anyone else.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gatecity is supposed to be semi-hidden IMO... So I didn't add it as a root town.

I'm looking into doing some stuff to the vote system... But IIRC, now that I think of it - it maybe impossible to fix that no vote thing - as I think it can't actually count NO votes - this has to do with the way MSC changed the keyboard registration. (This is also why we have this funktastic thing where 1 is exit, 2 is Yes, and 3 is No.... But I'll look into more closely.

The aformentioned sc.dll download is now up, with a self installer. :)
http://www.thothie.com/ms

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hey, be happy... I'm very tempted to mark Gatecity and Goblin Town as unvotable [hidden] the way I did with Challs. So then you'd always have to walk. ;)

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
gah... voting is convenient, but yeah... i miss having to actually walk to places... maybe there is a way for the vote system to work through the map transitions... where you accept at the transition and it is counted as a yes or something... Thothie, make my lazy ass walk!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Feh, I spent a very long time trying to make it so it would work just that way with Vexd's AMX utilities... I could get it to notice a player touching any entity on the map - even monsters - but not the damned msarea_transition! ><

Actually, I'll look through the scripts... see if there's a script that runs when a player touches a transition... Then maybe I can make the script do something that AMX can detect... Better would be a built in voting system that worked that way, but I dun think the scripts can do that, and they certainly can't do the disconnect/reconnect bit that is the core of what makes AMX vote system work. Hmmm...

edit: wow, found a script that may foot the bill... Now I just need to figure how to get AMX to read a map trigger event... hmmm...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My servers trying something nutty I wouldn't want to inflict on the general public...

...I made some *major* overhauls to the AI's... Granted, still more A than I, but at least they shouldn't, for instance, decide you don't exist when you go behind a wall.

This has the potential for a great number of problems though, so I'd appreciate anyone who could take the time to check it out over the next few days and report back on major issues, before I release this monster.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
haha, guess that means i wont be able to just hide and sit anymore... time to actually use all the potions ive collected =D

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, I think Ike and Bertold belong to Edana, why do they now appear in Helena? Remove them with the next sc.dll, please :wink:

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That is because there is no fletcher or smith you can buy from in helena so Thothie was kind enough to add them for us. No need to remove them.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ike is also in town, you'll notice.

The clones are in Helena because it's a royal pain in the ass to run back to Edana to get arrows / have nubs sell skins.

I didn't have control over the script sytem when I set that up though. ...Suppose I can make some new NPC's for Helena.

Every root town should have a general market, magi, healer, smith, and fletcher, IMO. Only reason I've not setup Deralia that way is because no one ever goes there. ;) Helena, on the other hand, is THE hub.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright, *finally* got around to redoing the AI, yet again.

Skeletons seem to be very deft navigators now - orcs pretty good. It's the bats that are driving me, batty - they tend to pancake into things and get stuck on them while looking for you.

Things to look for in the AI:
- Doesn't decide you don't exist when you go behind a wall
- Realizes it's stuck on something, after awhile
- Realizes you can hit it, but it can't hit you, after a awhile (then runs away for a few seconds trying to get a better position)

Monsters can now hear by default, and monsters can retaliate, by default. So boss monsters might be less likely to stand in fire walls and minions be less likely to ignore low level players trying to XP farm them while the high end players hold em in place.

Needless to say, all of this has potential for mass bugs. So please, hit my test server, see how it goes. Make critiques there or here - I'll read the logs eventually.

Speaking of minions... Anyone notice that Maldora's aren't unholy? ... Heh... Sooo many things to fix... *sigh*

Oh, yeah - we also maybe fulfilling Mario's dearest wish in the next patch...

...one thing that would fix a LOT of lag that Im tempted to do - but it may mess up some maps - is make monsters do NOTHING until they see a player. Reason being, is that the vast majority of the vanilla maps do not understand the concept of spawnstart 1 - and just spawn dozens of monsters all over the map, that immediately start doing dozens of checks every tenth of a second. Daragoth, Thornlands, and a few other heavy offenders are very lagtastic as a result of this.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Speaking of minions... Anyone notice that Maldora's aren't unholy? ... Heh... Sooo many things to fix... *sigh*
These things are in-game? By the way, in MS v1.35, if your player name was Maldora, and you told one of those minions to [come] to you or to [follow] you, the minion would listen.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
These are running on the test server. I still want some more debug info before releasing these on the GP. Sadly - Keledros's skeleton is still not running from volcano's - I dunno waddup with him. Probably not the only boss with that issue, despite the changes.

In regards to the Maldora pups - yeah, so I've been told. I've not bothered looking at the original script (seems I have it now) - but I suspect it's due to some effort on behalf of one of the old devs to have his own personal army - it just didn't work out. I've had some ideas for something similar though... Like, they respond to commands if you have a certain mystic item, or some such. V. Low on priority list though. About down there with the mining stuff.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Hey, out of interest, do the bats use info_node_air's?

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
... but I suspect it's due to some effort on behalf of one of the old devs to have his own personal army...

Negative, Maldora was a Dynamic Quest, probably the most successful we ever ran. I don't know if anyone still here was around during that time.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
:oldcry: i wish i was around when there were still dynamic quests...
ohhh thothie, "if you vote for me, your wildest dreams will come true"
only thing is i dont know what that dearest wish is... :?
im guessing its something ive said too manytimes ingame and on the forums that i'm not going to repeat it again now... :D

thothie you are awesome, thank you for doing all of this stuff :D
AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR MAPS LIKE DARAGOTH TO BE ALMOST LAG FREE! :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hey, out of interest, do the bats use info_node_air's?
So far as I can tell, MS monsters do not use HL monster info nodes of any sort. They also, do not conform the HL monsterdom in anyway (they do not use 'monster only' triggers, etc). Indeed, the engine, for the most part, treats monsters as players. They are even stopped by player clip brushes. (Something HL monsters ignore). It'd actually be very handy if they did not, as then mappers could put more decor in the boss monsters rooms, which, atm, have to be practically boxes to prevent 'sploitability. As it is now, I can't think of a way to make something that a monster can pass through, but a player cannot.

Negative, Maldora was a Dynamic Quest, probably the most successful we ever ran. I don't know if anyone still here was around during that time.

Hmm... I'm going from what Gurulas described to me (he's where I got the old scripts from).. and again, I've not gone over that particular script yet - I rebuilt the Minions's before I had these. If you could send me a description of the quest, however, I'd be more than eager to look into restoring it.

Similarly, I don't seem to have any live link to Lanethan's original storyline (one I was using seems to have died). Could I get a link to that to better maintain consistency? We're looking into adding a lot of new maps. A detailed map of the world with the intended areas might be useful too.

AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR MAPS LIKE DARAGOTH TO BE ALMOST LAG FREE!

V. reluctant to do the bit where monsters are essentially 'scan only' objects until they spot a player, as it would eliminate the 'wandering monster' illusion we have almost entirely. If I had the source for Daragoth, I could go over it and make proper monster spawns... If it's one of Father Brandon's maps, however, I maybe able to fix it the way I did Keledroprelude2 via ripent - since he at least has triggers near monster areas, in order to release them from the monsterclip cages he builds. Sometimes it's easy to use the same trigger to simply spawn the monsters instead.