INFO Latest Update News

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
im pretty sure he meant dynamic quest, meaning a quest ran by developers ingame and stuff. I guess like role-playing... i think thats what he meant thothie :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks, although still doesn't tell me what that Maldora quest was... Too bad the MS1.0 link seems to be down - maybe there's an old map to salvage (looking at the screenies)...

Nothing *horrible* has happened today under the new sc.dll so maybe I'll public it...

I made some drastic lag reduction steps... base_npc_attack.script - which every monster uses - has not one, but two procedures that repeat every 1/10th a second, one of which is rather complex. I consolidated those two under a single routine. Further, I switched it up so that it only repeats once every thee seconds, until they spot a player, at which time it switches back to every 1/10th second - but just for the monster so activated.

This may make monsters a little slower to respond to your presence, but doesn't seem too obnoxious.

Another bit that makes monsters slow to respond sometimes, is that if you go out of sight, they change their hunt method - sometimes they find you, and rub up against you for a second or two before they switch back to attack mode, I've noticed. Probably still worth it for the better hunting ability, but I will try to find away around. Note that monsters can't 'see' through each other - so this is more noticeable in monster hairballs.

Monsters will not change their cycle time for other monsters, only players, so this might help on Daragoth. There is a WHOLE lot of action going on in Daragoth you never see... Seriously, been watching the debug report where I've got monsters reporting what they are doing - it is t3h insane - goblins killing spiders, bears killing spiders, trolls killing boars - there's a full scale war the poor server is keeping track of before you ever even join the map! :|

Similarly, monsters will not start stuck checks before they see a player. So you *may* still occasionally see two monsters stuck together (usually due to the bjorked monsterspawn system that I've no control over) however - they should unstuck themselves pretty quick upon spotting you.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Monsters will not change their cycle time for other monsters, only players, so this might help on Daragoth. There is a WHOLE lot of action going on in Daragoth you never see... Seriously, been watching the debug report where I've got monsters reporting what they are doing - it is t3h insane - goblins killing spiders, bears killing spiders, trolls killing boars - there's a full scale war the poor server is keeping track of before you ever even join the map! :|
Hahaha that is pretty amusing :mrgreen:

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
A dynamic quest was run ingame by a GM (in the case of Maldora, myself). This was back in the days when we still had game master control, before the great exploit-fest. A dynamic quest was a quest that required a player to be playing a monster/badguy which the players had to contend with. In this case I played Maldora, a vampire necromancer who summoned his own skeletons (something which was impossible to do as a player at the time) using GM controls, then controlled them through speech and led an attack against Edana. A group of four or five players were on the server at the time, and they banded together to kill my skeletons and then eventually to defeat Maldora (he had to be 'staked' by hitting him with a torch and/or shooting him in the heart with a bow, something I simulated by turning on invulnerability until a player hit me with said weapon and then instakilling myself when that happened).

Dynamic Quests were always my favorite part of that era of MS. Other dynamic quests included 'Master Guld,' the travelling martial artist who gave lectures on technique and focus, which, while purely a roleplaying situation, was also quite fun.

I'll have more detailed specs about the rest of the world available to you soon. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jeeze... I could almost re-implement some varient of that, if I could actually change the playermodel... ATM, the player model ignores EVERYTHING the scripts do to it (which is why we still have the armor problem).

I had some ideas for at least having Maldora make a cameo before. Dunno when I'll get back to them though.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The earlier versions had a lot of interesting features.

..that were subsequently completely abused by players. ;)

Yeah, Dynamic Quests (and the 'Storyteller' MS series of events) were my favorite part of the game.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Hey, what was the DQ with that dude (Findlebind...?) and that huge-a** bear? Murmur was the bear's name right? That thing had about 5000 HP... memories from MS custom maps (the more legal ones, mind you)...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Murmur is in there now... Not quite the bear god he once was, but we've got another bear for that.

I am VERY interested in setting up a dynamic RPG system again - probably involve some complex scripting, some sort of vote system, and it would lack XP/Weapon rewards... Just wish I could figure a way to make the player model not render or be replaced. Something, somewhere, is overriding the script in that regard.

Today's update includes gauntlets that add damage to MA, and hitwall sounds for most all weapons. Also (unreported) yesterday's update set the max cycle lag for monsters to 1.2 seconds or so, so hopefully mons be a bit more responsive on this update. (So far seems so.) Sadly, also means less extreme lag reduction. All this, combined with the usual fifty to sixty minor bug fixes.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Murmur is in there now... Not quite the bear god he once was, but we've got another bear for that.

I am VERY interested in setting up a dynamic RPG system again - probably involve some complex scripting, some sort of vote system, and it would lack XP/Weapon rewards... Just wish I could figure a way to make the player model not render or be replaced. Something, somewhere, is overriding the script in that regard.

Today's update includes gauntlets that add damage to MA, and hitwall sounds for most all weapons. Also (unreported) yesterday's update set the max cycle lag for monsters to 1.2 seconds or so, so hopefully mons be a bit more responsive on this update. (So far seems so.) Sadly, also means less extreme lag reduction. All this, combined with the usual fifty to sixty minor bug fixes.

those gauntlets seem ... VERY SEXY Thothie lol i think ima drop my magic user just for those o_O

any idea of what the differnt kinds there will be, Oh and if u need anyone to skin them PLEASE send me some models so i can play around with them :( ?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
A dynamic RPG system for what...? I'm either blind or you're being vague :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
As Lanethan described... Or some variant there of. A system where one player can be elected GM, pose as, and/or control/summon various monsters.

Again, would have to nerf some things to make it non-exploitable, maybe only allow it on certain maps containing a special script, or with the server in a certain mode, and there'd be no XP nor major treasure drops... Trickiest bit being the player model, and thus it may have to wait until Fuzzy is done moving and manages to compile or I find some other coder who is likely to figure a way to release player model control to the scripts again.

Oh and if u need anyone to skin them PLEASE send me some models so i can play around with them

Model's in the current beta package. ( http://www.thothie.com/ms )

Tao

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wow, Gauntlets :D

Does that mean they will disappear if you go with them to another server?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, hence the huge red disclaimer on the download page. ;)

Items that do this include:
Katana
All New-Style Scrolls
Spell Books
Ice Blades
Gauntlets
Any beta-era spell Tome (poison/fireball, think the others are new-scroll only)
Possibly others...

Elven swords and Rune Shields should be safe - but I guarantee nothing.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Out of interest, are the new chest models in there too?

Tao

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You tested some new map today Thothie, called laurbar or something, tell us more pls :D

And where are the gauntlets? We fought through most of the maps and didn't find anything :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Out of interest, are the new chest models in there too?

Been in there since last month, I believe.

And where are the gauntlets?

I dun do spoilers (usually)... Suffice to say they are guarded by someone oft mistaken for a Colorado cafeteria worker. ;)

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Cool :)

I may make some other replacements if I get the time, just give me some requests :) Nothing too big though ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya know...

...when I do a fubarb that makes all the minions go virtually brain dead, someone should really say something. ;)

Any case, today's patch is entirely server side, no need for client downloads:
- Fixed BD minions
- Improved advanced monster searching behavior
- Attempted to reduce monster 'hesistation' lag post advanced search
- Added new monster ( monsters/horror ) - not used anywhere, yet.

Minions still doing this epileptic thing a split second before they see you, not sure what up with that.

RED

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok so we're getting into elemental weapons: lightning, ice, fire, poison gauntlets. Now the skeles are strong against ice, but are they weak vs. either lightning or fire? Also are there any other enemies that have strenghts and weaknesses to elements? I know the fire floating armors are weak to ice, but anything else? It seems like we're making elemental things that aren't going to make much of a difference, just "Oh, yeah? You have fire gauntlets, well I have lightning ones!" Any enemies weak to lightning?

Do you see my concern?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't see it as a *concern* per say - as fire/lightning/ice/poison have differing effects, but in so much as I've been able to implement weaknesses/strengths, I have.

Sometimes they don't work right, or can't be made to work right, due to the way the spell/item passes damage.

- Electric Slime is supposed to be immune to lightning
- Undead are resistant to cold (still slowed), somewhat vulnerable to fire (tempted to nerf electric damage against them, not gotten to it) They are extremely vulnerable to Holy damage. (This should now include the minibosses and their minions). All undead are immune to poison, although sometimes they take impact damage.
- All polar critters are immune to ice attacks (including slow effect) - they may flash blue for a brief second though and/or still take initial impact damage. (These include: Ice Troll, Polar Bear, Giant Polar Bear, Polar Bear Cub, Ice Djinn, and the upcoming Ice Boar, Wooly Spider, Ice Bone, Crystal Spider, and Cold Lady)
- Metalic creatures are vulnerable to electrical attacks
- Flying creatures are supposed to take quarter damage from electrical attacks.
- Animated Armor's take some damage from Holy. Infernal's take full damage. Keledros takes double damage from Holy - but responds to Holy spells in a dire fashion.
- Infernals are supposed to be immune to fire, as are fire bats.
- Belungeons, Horrors, and Ghouls all take holy damage.
- Belungeons are supposed to be immune to fire and are vulnerable to ice.
- Horrors are supposed to be immune to poison.
- There's a few other immunity/resistances I'm forgetting, I'm sure...

Note: if I say *supposed* it probably means that the resistance/vulnerability isn't currently working as it should. ;)

Tao

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think he just wanted to say that it's useless to have different weapons with different elementals, cause of the resistances = there are 10 different gauntlets, but in the end they are all the same.

The gauntlets should not do elemental, just higher damage, you could just add some special effects.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the idea behind an elemental system, is that you need to collect various elemental weapons, to deal with the various resistances and vulnerabilities...

...also, don't have much in the way of special effects outside of the elemental system... The amount of speed and damage you can add is very limited before the balance gets way outta hand, the elemental effect system allows you some more options besides speed and damage, plus the slight strategy aspect, of picking out the best weapon for the enemy at hand.

PS. Calruin2 is done as of today... One final-final compile... I wanna give Jester a playtest at it, since he seems to be the jumper from hell and all. Darkmaul script seems g2g, aside from a missing animation or two. Raven Mace script needs more work, model is just fugly.