1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INFO Latest Update News

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Thothie, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Thothie

Thothie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    kroush_centerfold.png
    Well, two years without a patch, which just about breaks our record, so... We're givin ya a little something to tide ya'll over while we continue to beat this thing into shape.

Kroush is a mid difficulty FN approved map, now up on the RKS servers. It can be downloaded directly from them (which maybe a bit slow), or from here:
    http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/kroush_NOV2017_01.rar
    (Requires Winrar or 7z.)

The extensive multi-level map, while obeying NOV2015a compatibility, features an incremental dynamic treasure system and integrates a few clever features to give it a fair amount of replay value, all while providing a few puzzles and surprises along the way.
    ...and the previous update convo continues for posterity...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Kuroneko

Kuroneko New Adventurer Developer

Jul 18, 2004
    Tinkerer
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    iirc, summoning will not work correctly.

3. =HELLION=

=HELLION= New Adventurer

Jan 4, 2006
    also noticed

also i noticed the timeout issuses. for those who havnt done this you might want to change cl_timeout to a number higher then default... it is the command that automaticly disconnects a player if there is no response from the server... its helpfull to some when there is a mass lag spike...

i remember a long long time ago during one of hl's many patches that they screwed up there net code and i turned this number up to around 1000 or so and it would with a good amout of luck remain connected to the server until the lag spike went down..also day of defeat had problems like this at one time , enabling it is not going to fix anything it just helps try to stay connected longer for the server to re-establish connections

4. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    sv_timeout changed to 120 (from 60), done.

I need to make the leeway interval adjustable on the restarter to help, but I wont be back until midnight tonight to work on that.

Fuznet seems to be in maintence, so my server's client side until then anyways. Connection lag and restarts won't be such an issue with client side chars.

5. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish New Adventurer

Sep 23, 2004
    The current issue wasn't caused by maintance. Apparently the backup server puked when I attempted to VNC in to get the characters updated.
    I'll restore new chars tonight.

6. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    That's maintenance.

It's just maintenance with complications. ;)

7. =HELLION=

=HELLION= New Adventurer

Jan 4, 2006
    question

just a thought,
    after testin out on client side , i did notice a jump in the fact that the server didnt have to update with central to that aspect , and with 3 players its hard to test . we changed levels from edana and thorn, back and forth like 3 times ... it was a pain to upload the charactor, thinking about this , does the player info goto the server, then from the server to central ? or does it just go to central
    is it possable that the level switching timeout is caused by the server having to upload all the data for N number of players all at once ? that could be why it takes so long to swich levels
    actually i dont see how it would take that long to upload the player info , it shouldnt be that much information should it ?

8. Raptor

Raptor New Adventurer

Mar 2, 2005
    Morgan Hill, California
    me and thothie also figured out that healing other players causes even more lag than healing yourself (no clue why) while beating keledros... i got a blizzard scroll!

9. =HELLION=

=HELLION= New Adventurer

Jan 4, 2006
    rejuv lag.

yea its like every time you do 1 rejuv it adds 25ms ping , and if you got beat down bad you want to heal fast.. well heh each time you do it , it not only spawns a Whole bunch of sprites, but tacks on more ping

some suggestions might be to

-give rejuv a hit miss ratio like attacking, slowing the constant updates a bit

-make the rejuv do block health like a quick shot of 10hp or more, instead of the groovy fill up effect

-make it suck mana like nobodys business

-limit spawning of the sprites to 1 big sprite

-limit to once only health addition instead of the constant adding of health

10. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    I thought, balance wise, Rejuv was fine... I just dun wan it to lag the server so much. I *assume* it's trying to update the health on the Central server for some reason.

And sorry my server went down for so long today... Seems I checked the pause autorestart box before I left without unchecking it. ><

edit: On second thought, I think I'll just leave it down until [FN] comes back up, and take this opportunity to do some much needed uploading.

11. =HELLION=

=HELLION= New Adventurer

Jan 4, 2006
    /

well i wanted to test out rejuv on a client basis to see if it still added lag but my client side charactor has less health then a commoner heh so i wont be testing the rejuv spell for a long time... i hope fuzznet gets fixed, he said it crashed , must have been some crash.. oh well i still have a hdd with win98 on it but i havnt used it in a LONG time heh its a wonder just to think that it was working as long as it did

12. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Seems to be a result of the move... Fuznet is up, but the data is two days behind, so I dun wanna run it. People will either bitch about losing two days of data, or bitch about it when their characters get restored, and they lose the data they gained during the outdated period. Either way, tis a lose-lose situation. So client side only for a bit longer I'm afraid - and play anywhere else with that in mind.

13. =HELLION=

=HELLION= New Adventurer

Jan 4, 2006

people do tend to like to **** to express there feelings... i just read the intire vote thread to player resets.. it was like a total **** fest lmao.. bah loseing a few days is ok i didnt realise i gained 4 levels in 2 days..

14. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Screw it, going back to [FN] before 50,000 central servers show up and destroy the whole system - screw the two days of data... My char doesn't seem to have lost anything in anycase, so maybe Fuzzy's estimate was high (or he updated without posting). Effing brats can't even wait more than a day before they setup their own.

15. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Gonna take the server down for a few days. Otherwise someone in Riverside is going to chop into a gas-line when the city tells them to build somewhere they can't with their outdated gas and sewer maps... Amongst other things

In otherwords - I gotta upload and host a bunch of work related stuff, and it'll take awhile. Plus I kinda would like to have this laptop in the feild again... Dunno if it's good for a laptop to run 24/7 at full load like this - it's making clicking noises... WTF is this clicking noise? :?

Meanwhile, play at J-M's, or some such... I did what I could to try to make sure everyone has access to all my server's features, so you should have an equally good experience somewhere else - probably with a better ping. ;)

16. natranr

natranr New Adventurer Christian Warrior's of God

Dec 4, 2005
    Male
    Upstate SC, USA
    my comp makes a clicking noise when it starts up, i think its the CPU fan, not sure bout that :?

17. dRkILL

dRkILL New Adventurer Developer

Jul 18, 2004
    Software Engineer
    Milford, Massachusetts
    Could be, but in my experience, clicking noises indicate a failing hard drive. I'd get that checked out ASAP.

18. natranr

Dec 4, 2005
    Male
    Upstate SC, USA
    i only hear it when i start up, its my CPU fan couse I messed with it, i think its hiting the thing holding it in place

19. Scottc

Scottc New Adventurer

Apr 16, 2005
    Rejuvinate shouldn't update every time it heals a health point. Basically it should alert the server and client that it was cast, and the client prediction should automatically handle updating health. The server doesn't need to send it to everyone each time it heals a point of health.

20. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    The lag says otherwise... I suspect it has more to do with the character's updating to Central as a result of the health change. I carry a bunch of pot around just due to that issue, despite the fact I've got like 200Mana and Rejuv at my disposal. Lagging the whole server kinda kills the usefulness of the spell.

Still, it's not so bad provided server is nearly empty, and I use it sparingly (no more than two or three applications at a time).

As for the clicking sound... Still not sure... It seems to be a fan turning on though - as when the laptop is idle or in reasonably normal operation (say, web browsing, or Word - ie. not being hounded by the 90%+ CPU usage of the MS:C HLDS) - it doesn't make this noise. The internal fan only kicks in when it gets fairly hot.

It worries me a little, however, as it's almost the same noise my older DEAD thinkpad makes - and in that machine's case, it's some mechanical thing trying to engage the battery. It's dead in the sense that it will only operate while plugged into a wall now (can't connect to any battery). I'd use it - but it's only a Pentium 60.

Feh, I've all the parts I need for a new puter here, save for a P4 533/800FSB CPU to stick into this box. I gotsta stop giving puters away. ><

21. natranr

Dec 4, 2005
    Male
    Upstate SC, USA
    save like 5k$ for an alienware server, those thing s are nice.

22. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Won't matter if I hook the HAL9000 up to this thing - it'll still lag like this until the issue is resolved. ;)

23. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    It be back up... Nothin new on it, yet.

Sadly, improving the crash recovery plugin seems to require migrating to AMXmodX - and AMXmodX does not like MS:C. (AMXmodX can be rather finnicky)

Working on an MOTD and restricted votemap plugins, so I can get rid of those annoying flashers.

Server may have to go down for short periods of time over the next two weeks or so, but otherwise, should be up 24/7 until further notice.

24. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    ...and now it be back down. Same reasons.

Tis a tad worrisome, as I see no other regular [FN] server out there, atm.

25. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    ...and up again...

Although maybe temporary, may need that laptop this weekend.

EDIT: Laptop needs to go on quick journey... BBL