Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, but implement a new measure:

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Hello I'm John Saints(DarkAngel in-game)
I've played MSC since 2008 and I never seen such nonesense measure, for people to stop hoarding Fshards,
I mean REALLY, I'm betting that some people hoard other items and never ever I seen these measures implemented in(I hope not otherwise RIP MSC 2001-2013).
So the fact IS why make this for symbols if:
There's not even enough population not even close to get everyone enough symbols and even then you get random symbols.

You can only get 1 felewyn shard per character also which is also bullcrap but that's another story.

It got people banned for exploiting their way out so they could get symbols all because of this measure as if it was the only way for people to stop hoarding.

There are other ways for this problem where it seems to trouble some people such as:

1-You can only get 5 symbols per map that spawn those.(Seeing how you get random symbols this is a good measure)

2-Make them ultra rare.(Always an option)

3-Make it so people have to do some sort of quest(Like bloodstone one).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to remove the weapon entirely until we figure a reliable way to deal with apostle items. Should put an end to the complaints.

There's only supposed to be 5 active shards at any given time (any six month period), but as FN reads are not as reliable as FN writes (outside of characters), we've been unable to figure a way to limit their numbers, hence this chaos. Best to give up on it, for now, seeing as how it causes so much drama.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
It's not about drama thothie, it was fine before why ruin everything and make a measure where it's impossible 10/10 to even get the full sword.
Also removing the sword will only make the complains grow just a hint.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It is supposed to be next to impossible to get the full shard (and absolutely impossible without cooperative trading). But apparently, if anyone can get it, or has it, certain people feel they are entitled to it, and moan endlessly and exploit, etc... So best just to remove it from the game entirely until we get a reliable system - where we can at least point and say that's all there is - and remove the temptation. Point well illustrated.

DarkSnack said:
It got people banned for exploiting their way out so they could get symbols all because of this measure as if it was the only way for people to stop hoarding.
No one has ever been banned for that, though we have had three rollback penalties.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Instead of removing it from the game, just give it a nomenclature change and we'll all just pretend it's always been an "Elven Longblade" instead of the more epic "Felewyn Shard" which should be reserved for a higher level tier anyway.

The absolute last thing that should be done in this game is release the apostle items. Releasing apostle tiers items now (or years ago wtf) will only result in the rest of the game being scaled or modified from that level onward to compensate for the introduction of the 'epic weapon' (see torkalath bow) or we're just going to wind up with a lame, underpowered 'apostle weapon' (see felewyn shard).

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Why add something to the game then if it's impossible to get it?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's not impossible, just harder than some whiny people are willing to accept. A few months ago, when I went through the pain in the ass process of checking, there were over 200 of them (where there should be 5-10). Not everyone is supposed to have one, and some people apparently just can't accept that.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Thothie said:
It's not impossible, just harder than some whiny people are willing to accept. A few months ago, when I went through the pain in the ass process of checking, there were over 200 of them (where there should be 5-10). Not everyone is supposed to have one, and some people apparently just can't accept that.
Harder? You can only get 1 symbol per character you would need 4 characters just to get 1 fshard those 4 woulden't be able to get symbols themselves then, also I do think that those 200 swords are BEFORE this was added in the game.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You need 4 characters willing to donate to a single player, and give up the quest for themselves. There are (checks) 1,439 characters active within the past two months. If you can't work that out, you don't deserve the shard. That's the point of the shard, a demonstration cooperative sacrifice, and willingness to choose a leader.

If you think that's bad, you need 4 characters willing to sacrifice their shards to a leader, with a fifth, in order to get the full apostle weapon.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Yes but how many of those are unactive 2 months is alot.
Plus I hardly see any new people here only like old players and few new guys.
But co-op to get an item? Really?
Strip other people from getting the sword themselves?
Not to be a let down but I think not one of those 1,439 players are willing to give up they're quest for getting the sword
would you like that to happen to you?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
DarkSnack said:
But co-op to get an item? Really?
Yes, I know. I mean actual cooperation, perish the thought! Who woulda thought the Goddess of Order might be picky about her potential Apostles! Also totally unprecedented, discounting those other thousand MORPG's that do the same sorta thing.

...and it already happened to me, as I already donated the four symbols I'd gathered through trade to the cause of a worthy warrior.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
What other MMORPG's? Never seen such with this kind of measures for people to not hoard items.
No need to be sarcastic about the co-op part tho.
Why does MSC has to follow other MMORPG's tho, that's what I'm asking myself currently is it on a leach like the other RPG's?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
DarkSnack said:
What other MMORPG's? Never seen such with this kind of measures for people to not hoard items
Nearly every MMORPG has unique world items, or items that can only be wielded by the current head of a particular faction or guild, and are thus limited in number, yet require the final wielder be assisted in gaining said item - sometimes with no benefit to those that aid him beyond simple prestige (though there's often some wheeling and dealing involved). And oddly enough, those events often involve dozens of people working to benefit a single person, rather than just four. WoW, Camelot, Conan, Evercrack, Anarchy OL... It'd probably be easier to list the MMORPG's that lack the feature, in one form or another - as at the moment, I can't think of one.

...and yes, some people have actually gathered Felewyn Shard's legitimately, fairly recently, so it's not as if all of those 1,439 are selfish failures of human beings. It'll be ashame to punish them, but they'll be able to have another go at it whenever we get a new system online.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Again why follow other MMORPG's why not inovate for a change, why keep a dull old format,
stop pointing to other RPG's like you have to follow them like they're some role model.
I'm yet to hear about 4 people that sacrificed themselves for 1 person, and better yet 4 people who have 4 fshards sacrificing for 1.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
DarkSnack said:
Again why follow other MMORPG's why not inovate for a change, why keep a dull old format,
stop pointing to other RPG's like you have to follow them like they're some role model.
I'm yet to hear about 4 people that sacrificed themselves for 1 person, and better yet 4 people who have 4 fshards sacrificing for 1.
It's happened, and more than once. Sometimes four guys actually can get together and decide to let a fifth guy ride on their shoulders. Hell, sometimes 50 guys will do the same, as illustrated in the instances above - but I'm not so cruel as to make that requirement with a population this small.

It has nothing to do with a desire to follow other MORPG's, just saying the concept is hardly unprecedented, and much crueler elsewhere.

It has to do with ensuring someone is actually worthy of something special on a social level, as well as on a level that follows the philosophy of the god in question. There's to be a few items in the game that require something beyond simply investing time, and the shards and blade are among them.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Well let those 4 guys come in this thread and reveal themselves and the fifth guy too.
But really why not make something that makes the whole community happy, you talk about social yet you are being just as greedy by not letting everyone have they're own chance to have the sword.
And don't come up with something like "Oh no, if we followed the community we would have made a rat give 1000000XP and be done with the game".
No we don't want that we want to play the game, but we also want to have a chance at everything.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you can't have it all. If you can't deal with that, you'll have to find some other game where you can, but you'll be hard pressed to find any such game in this genre, that being rare, even among the single player variants.

Some things are exclusive, and as we get further down the pipe, there are going to be more and more exclusive items and paths.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Also I don't see how relevant other MMO's are seeing how in WoW you can basicly create other account and get the item for that character and then trade it.
You can't just buttkick everyone and argues against of what's wrong too I mean come on Tothie get some sense no one in the community likes this (except from you of course) and yet you struggle like you need to do this, this exact way.
Why not make a long hard quest.
And even deeper exclusive items huh? I'm already imagening it one and a half piece of paper for the astronomical book for stars, you're going to need 50 full papers and it's only 1 per player!
If you really want that then go ahead do what you wish if even this can't stop you from changing your mind atleast.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
DarkSnack said:
Also I don't see how relevant other MMO's are seeing how in WoW you can basicly create other account and get the item for that character and then trade it.
...and you can do that here too... Although in WoW, for several items, you can't, and some items require faction or guild head to boot.

DarkSnack said:
Why not make a long hard quest.
Covered that at the end of a post just four posts up at the top of this page, in addition to several posts on the previous page.

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
...and you can do that here too... Although in WoW, for several items, you can't, and some items require faction or guild head to boot.
Yes, I can buy 24 steam accounts buy HL in each, surely someone is going to do that, surely.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sadly, you'd be surprised... Certainly be cheaper than trying to do the same cheat in WoW. ;)

DarkSnack

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Just curious but show me one item that has this specific thing you call sacrifice on WoW preferably.
And why would I need to find a different game, you sound like my Prime minister now "You should all Migrate",
do you want that for MSC too? Everyone leaving the game because of things like this surely it's not worth the hassle.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but several items in WoW cannot be traded. Several items require faction/reputation head or guild head and have the same flag, meaning there's only as many of them as there are factions or guilds over a certain size. In both the latter cases, they require a lengthy quest and/or major item investment far beyond the capabilities of a single player, usually entailing an entire guild backing the effort of their leader, who gets the item. All the other games I mentioned, along with dozens that I did not, have similar systems, AO's being the cruelest I know of, where it takes, literally, 50 people investing billions of credits (translating to hundreds of hours a piece), for something that really only benefits their leader, the only real reward for the rest of them, for all that effort, is simple clan prestige.

Getting five e-friends to agree on a bearer is considerably kinder than all of that mess.

This is pretty much the only MORPG, or even RPG I know of, that lets you have, pretty much every power and every item in the game, on every single character. As Titles, exclusive quests, and more apostle paths get woven in, this will eventually be less and less the case, though it is true, it will always only affect a handful of items.

At the moment, there are no other exclusive items - you can have EVERY item in the game - except this ONE ITEM, and some people just cant handle that. If you can't handle one, I've no idea how you're going to flip out when there's eventually twelve, but frankly, if I could drive individuals like that out of the community by force alone, I would. Hell, I could say the same for the real world.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Why are you being such a whiny c*nt about this?

Are you this upset about all of the crests you'll never get a chance to obtain? The weapon is hard to get for a reason, by continually whining about this subject and arguing you're only making the situation worse for yourself. Clearly you do not have power over what goes into the game and you also obviously will not change how Thothie feels about it.

You should read the "Guide to Constructive Criticism" by Redcell in the Suggestions forum.
(re-reads own post) I should too.