SC: defence and summoning?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... this thread has been on fire since I last checked in out in :oldshock:

Well, to you ReBoot... from WAY back on page two or something... about what you expect from summons; did you expect them to stay & fight in Final Fantasy VII or VIII (7 or 8)?? None of the earlier games made it so... naturally you wouldn't expect any of the others too, either... Final Fantasy XII (12) is the exception of the bunch... you summon it, it stays for a period of time attacking time & time again... then just before it disappears it'll cast its most powerful spell/attack :D

You want it to be similar more so to FFXII than FFVII? Seven's a whole lot more popular, plot-wise at least, than all of the other FF's combined :D

FFIX (9) looks too cartoonish for my tastes... FFVIII (8) is okay... FFVII (7) is awesome... and lately FFXII (12) has caught my attention :D

Sorry for that bit of off-topic, and to you MiB... the reason I kept on parenthesis numbers after the roman numerals is because it is a sure thing there are people on the forums here who can't read roman numerals.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I don't want and I am not able to refer to FF at all, because I've never played any of the FF games. However, I know that they don't have a similar setting to MS and I know that the fight system is truly different (I read alot).
And the one-hit-and-disappear-summoning may fit in there, but that's not what we associate with summoning normally, without having played FF. Look at every other RPG out there, Diablo, Baldur's gate, Vampire. There, a summoned creature is actually a creature doing things instead of just a one-hit-attack which is better realised with a normal elemental (or whatever) spell.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
That's because they WORK with those other games. They aren't working here.

the reason I kept on parenthesis numbers after the roman numerals is because it is a sure thing there are people on the forums here who can't read roman numerals.

I know.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If they don't work, why not just let them fall? Like currently intended?
Also, a game is not about working, a game is about feeling good. And magic in MSC is currently overall frustrating. More strange things are not that good.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Frustrating for YOU. I like magic; I know plenty of other people that like magic, and that way of summoning would be a lot of fun.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I also like magic. But not how it currently works: a support thing to learn for high level charakters. I'd like magic to be acessable.

Wana an example? No spells in the whole world to find, except some not-that-heavy ones found at hardcore boss monsters. Was just in that cave at the Keledros prelude, the one with the ice monster in it. The chest contained a little boned ice dart. Sorry, but getting at a place where you should be lvl 10 minimum and getting a beginning spell with neither requirements nor power worth mentioning IS frustrating.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The only beginning spells you have to kill a boss for are Rebuke Undead and Poison, and they are guarded by the lower end bosses. (Actually, you don't techinically have to kill a boss for Poison either, but the only other map it's on, well, everything is effectively a boss.)

Trick is to get yer friends together and gang-bang those bosses though. This game is not friendly to those who try to go it alone. (Indeed, it is very specifically unfriendly to solo'ers.)

Should also mention, that many of us had to get to SC 10+ using nothing but Firedart and Lightning, so for the first nine months of this game's existence, those were the only two spells that worked.