INFO Latest Update News

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've last been around these parts. How are you guys doing? : )

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hi there G... Meh... Not real good... Valve just stuck it up our arse with another random update - right when we were about to patch (like, within hours of it). Still workin on fixing what they broke...

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I see, it's sad that they disregard modders so much, especially considering that without mods Valve would not have been nearly as successful as they are today.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
I see, it's sad that they disregard modders so much, especially considering that without mods Valve would not have been nearly as successful as they are today.
It's almost like they're trying to kill us...

...but the more I talk to them, the more I think it's a combination of supreme incompetence, apathy, and the inability to resist modifying core functions with newer ones, that don't actually do anything to enhance the product. :oldcry:

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That's probably it, Half-Life 1 is not really supported anymore, I am surprised this even happened.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well my brief foray back here ends already. I remembered why I departed now. No one listened to me or respected my work even if it fit within the bounds of lore.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Except it doesn't.

Meh, sorry kid... Do like you and all, but ya tend get locked jawed into these things, and we just can't seem to find a way to shake you out of it when you do. You should really come up with your own thing though - seems you manage to spin up really elaborate stories up out of tiny fragments of other people's work (not just MSC and bludgeons, but, dogcats, that xcom model, etc.) I think you could really do something if you put your mind to it, but the things you create tend to be so grandiose and elaborate, that you really need your own platform for them.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Dogcats were my own doing and they have their own mythology and universe now.
And the X-Com model was simply used to represent a robed mysterious cultist.

However, the Netherworld and the Lost's destruction of that plane and all that had nothing wrong with my mythology, I developed it for Master-Sword a long time ago..
Iposatu was never a god, which is what I mean when I say you didn't listen to me. Iposatu is basically a glorified powerful sentient Horror.

I grew up with this lore. I was Twelve when I first discovered Master-Sword 1.3 and became enamored with the Lore and the concept of an amazing RPG based on the Half-Life game. I loved the idea of the Fate, the Loreldians, the Lost and all that.

I loved reading the background stories and the lore snippets, they were amazing. The Lost were always a threat in the background, they were never destroyed, but banished, they were clawing at the edge of the world trying to return, influencing events, such as giving power to Lor Malgoriand. Granted, the Lost should never have returned because then we'd be instantly dead, but the fact that they'd try to get back was what made this amazing.

The Netherworld is about the exploration of a Plane the Lost had access to, and to show the damage that might have happened to Leann if the lost weren't banished, as well as exploring more of the Loreldian culture and the fauna of another world. Essentially exploration maps for high level players with a hint of a threat which was Iposatu and his Horrors who would try to invade Leann through the Loreldian gateway in Nashalrath.

Iposatu would have been the final boss of that map-chain. Granted, I bet I could make a better model myself today.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Don't... Start...

Iptasu kept changing to suite the debate, but in case you've forgotten, there's another god behind him, and then another universe...

Again, wish you luck abroad, but no more of that here, okay? ;)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry, I just wanted to make certain things clear.

And yes, I took feedback into consideration. Originally Iposatu was to be a Lost, then I changed him to be an avatar of the Lost, I.E a powerful horror as obviously the players could never stop a Loreldian. The Netherworld was always planned to be there. The boss room where you step through the gateway to a Xen-ish area is part of the Netherworld.

The basic idea was never changed though.
And okay ^^ Take care!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I think Valve actually fixed our problem... So, I'm gonna see if I can get ahold of RKS, and maybe, we'll try patching again. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
LABOR DAY PATCH*
SEP2013a PUBLIC CHANGELOG:

centerfold_SEP2013a.png
Rhudeanlorat not included
* Okay, somewhat after labor day, due to snafu at Valve, but close enough. ;)

While this patch isn't a whole lot bigger than the last one, it one only took a month to make - while the last one took nearly six, so that's progress, I suppose. Additionally, we *almost* got another map ready in time, but alas, not quite - but that means we may even get two maps in the next patch, with some luck - maybe even more.

Various fixes herein require the client be patched as well, so sadly, this is a mandatory patch this time around - meaning patched servers will boot you, if you've not updated, and non-patched servers will not be able to connect to [FN].

New Map
• M2 Quest (m2_quest) by Cyax, Low, Disconnected
- This map by Cyax, intended to replace ms_quest and be part of a new series of maps, is much larger and more aesthetically pleasing than its predecessor. More importantly, there's actually stuff to do here now!
- Sylphiel's grandmah's house got burgled by goblins! And it's up to you to sate the angry waitress before she considers brewing something other than soup!
- Scattered throughout the map's many nooks and crannies, are thirteen soup making ingredients, dropped or hidden by those nasty little goblins. But can you find them all for that delicious soup goodness?
- These special quest items scoop up when touched, and will not clutter your inventory (although, currently, they also won't save, should you leave the map for one reason or another.)
- While there is a puzzle or two here that requires multiple players, the soup quest can be completed with just one.

Other Changes
• Bags of Gold now instantly pick up on pressing +use, instead of offering a chest inventory.
- May lead to more greedy ninjas, but meh, saves some issues.
• Same for dropped quivers, and said quivers are no longer solid. (Should fix some issues.)
• Sanitized text inputs (Helps with various chat issues, names, and the like.)
• Reduced orc's obsession with the word "die!", a bit.
• Fixed bugs where summons and some mobs would not thaw after being frozen.
• Fixed bug where combat music system didn't initiate from map properties.
• Fixed potential bug where combat music system might stick between maps.
• Increased spin down time of combat music, to prevent going out of combat music prematurely.
• Fixed the delayed monster reaction when spawning too close to target.
• Nerfed the Fire Shaman Initiates in mscave a bit more
• Global treasure lists now randomize every few minutes, hopefully making random treasure a bit more random.
• Tweaked up and added some bug prevention to the script array system (may fix some odd/stability issues.)
• Yet another stab and fixing the glow system (which also uses the aforementioned script array system.)
• Fixed some legacy issue with damage reflection on temporarily invulnerable mobs.
• Fixed orc_for->bloodrose transition (though not the reverse), and mscave's sticky orcs.
• Hitting +use on a chest or NPC/interact menu no longer retains the slow down effect after exiting said menu/interact.
• Double click functionality for worn (gear) items restored.
• ms_reset_when_empty functionality restored for Steam Pipe HLDS servers
• Disconnect/reconnect sequence now running on Steam Pipe HLDS servers
• Fixed Dusk TOD event causing crashes for some users (sadly, by axing the transition effect.)

New Client Side Arrow Tests
• A new client side arrow system is being tested on the Elven Arrows and the Envenomed Arrows
- This will not help with hit boxes (as they are, still, always a simple box, center bottom on the monster)
- But it should help with lag detection and server overhead. If it hits on your client, it should hit on the server.
- These arrows stick and follow on impact, similar to an old defunct system, but hopefully more aesthetically pleasing (and much less resource intensive)...
FOR A LIMITED TIME: Envenomed and Elven arrows do double damage!
- Is this merely a cynical effort to get these properly tested? Yes, yes it is.
• Two known bugs:
- Sometimes, the first arrow that fires just falls flat on the ground (no clue why so far)
- Firing at close melee range sometimes causes the server side arrow to be used (cl projectile needs a split second to initiate)

New Mapper Toys
• You can now toggle a func_monsterclip by targeting it.
• Updated the monster script list.

New Add Params
• set_die_nt;<delay>
- If monster has no target nearby, removes self after <delay> seconds.
- Repeating ms_monsterspawn friendly, and uses suicide command, so players aren't robbed of XP when monster removes.

New Script Commands
• effect beam follow <sprite> <target> <attach_index> <width> <life> <brightness> <(color)>
- Creates a beam trail that follows the target/attachment, similar to the hornet/rocket trails in Half-Life
- Unlike most effect beam's, this one does not create a server side entity, and thus uses less overhead. However, this also means it can't be tracked or updated.
• $alphanum(<string>,[safelist])
- Strips non-alphanumerics from a string, with the exception of those listed in [safelist]
- Recomend using a var for [safelist], especially if a space is among the exceptions.
• cleffect clientcmd <command>
- (Client side) Sends commands to client's console directly, bypassing silly server filtering.
• cleffect tempent set_current_prop collide all [skipentindex]
- When using collide all, you can now specify an entity index for a tempent to skip during collision checks
• !startswith and !contains can now be used as string comparitors in conditionals
• $func(<event>,[params...])
- Calls <event> and replaces self with the contents of any "return" statement in the event.
- Kind of a basic custom function feature - doesn't really let you do anything new, but lets you organize differently.
- Note that this will not suspend execution for any subsequent delayed events in the function event, but it is compatible with "calleventloop" embeds.
• return <var>
- For the $func() custom function system described above.
- Note that, unlike most languages, the return command does not prevent execution of any subsequent code in the event.
- If multiple return statements are encountered during the same event, the results will be tokenized.
• monsters/base_chat_array - has a bunch of new features, and I forgot to include the source. >< (need a major update of test_scripts.rar)

[SPOILER SECTION BEGIN]

New Stuffs

• Sylphiel's Applemead Soup
- This delicious soup restores full health and provides three minutes of continuos full mana regeneration.
- Upon completing Sylphiel's soup quest (in m2_quest), you can purchase this soup from Sylphiel in Edana.
- For each time you complete the soup quest, Sylphiel will increase the stock she has available in a single visit. (To a maximum of five per player.)

New Beasties

• monsters/skeleton_ravager * - Skeletal Ravager (32x72, 4000hp, ~200dps, undead, hard, 500XP)
- Skeleton Ravagers are large but agile undead warriors, capable of crawling on ceilings and attacking on the move.
- The Ravagers will only attach to the ceiling if t is within 512 units, and is not a sky brush.
- If the Ravager comes under a sky brush while crawling on the ceiling, it will drop down and stand.
- Additional Parameters:
- set_start_ceiling - spawn crawling on the ceiling.
- set_start_crawl - spawn crawling on the floor.
- set_start_stand - spawn standing.
- set_no_ceiling - never go to the ceiling.
- Skeletal Ravagers do not respond to most skeleton management scripts.

• monsters/skeleton_ravager_fire *
• monsters/skeleton_ravager_ice *
• monsters/skeleton_ravager_venom *
- Elemental variants of the above, with appropriate DOT claws and periodic AOE projectiles

• monsters/skeleton_mage * - Skeletal Mage (32x72, 5000hp, ~300dps, undead, ranged, hard, 600XP)
- This is your new go-to guy, should your elemental theming get a little too consistent.
- By default, the skeletal mage will cycle through four elements, alternating between AOE seals and guided projectiles.
- The seals have a bit of warning before they take effect, but do more damage than the AOE projectiles which have some fall off.
- The Skeletal Mage also has a nasty round house kick that can send nearby opponents flying, though the cool down on it is rather long.
- If you want to restrict a skeletal mage to particular elements, you can do so with the following Additional Paramters:
- use_fire use_cold use_lightning use_poison
- For instace, if you want a Skeletal Mage that uses only fire and ice attacks, use "use_fire;use_cold"
- Or to just use lightning "use_lightning"
- Note that there is a 10% penalty to the base XP for each element less than four in its repitoir.
- (so if he only has one element, it's a 30% XP reduction.)
- Beware that he's a little sprite spammy, though well optimized.
- Skeletal Mages should respond to most skeletal management scripts, but this functionality is untested.
- (This includes the add params make_sleeper, make_deep_sleeper, and the monsters/skels_xxx scripts described elsehwere in the changelog.)
- PS. Might also make a good medium-level boss. (Use make_boss)

• monsters/orc_demonic * - Demonic Blackhand Flayer (32x72, 500hp, ~40dps+50A, orc, semi-ranged, medium, 200XP)
- Some orcs have been gambling with their souls again...
- Same as those found in orc_for, but without the self adjustment.
- (demon skin, Fire DOT, periodic fire balls, fire immune, slightly holy vulnerable)

• monsters/orc_demonic_sword * - Demonic Blackhand Warrior (32x72, 500hp+60A, ~40dps+, orc, semi-ranged, medium, 200XP)
- Same bit, with sword and shield (better parry).

• monsters/orc_demonic_sniper * - Demonic Blackhand Archer (32x72, 400hp+30A, ~80dps, orc, ranged, hard, 200XP)
- AOE fire arrows with knockaround (damage falls off), plus the usual annoying sniper stun-and-run extras.

• monsters/orc_demonic_shaman * - Demonic Blackhand Shaman (32x72, 420hp, ~80dps, orc, ranged, hard, 300XP)
- Guided fire balls, explodes nastily on death.

• desert_temmple/orc_chatter1, desert_temmple/orc_chatter2 * - Blackhand Flayer, Blackhand Warrior
- A pair of Blackhand orcs, having a long (and easily interrupted) conversation about the precariousness of their situation.
- Both have the same stats of an orc of the same name, but have been ramped (to hard) up for this appearance.

• desert_temple/thuldahr * - Thuldhar (64x128, 15000hp+50A, ~300dps, player faction)
- (ZOMG SPOILERS!) Next month, hopefully...

• m2_quest/bgoblin_weak (32x50, ~200hp, ~15dps, goblin, some variants semi-ranged, low, 100XP)
- Weaker variant of the blood goblin warrior. (Three variants)

• m2_quest/bgoblin_weak (32x50, ~300hp, ~15dps, goblin, some variants semi-ranged, low, 150XP)
- Weaker variant of the vile goblin warrior. (Three variants) (used as a mini-boss)

• m2_quest/goblin_needler (32x50, 100hp, ~10dps, goblin, ranged, low, 50XP)
- Weaker variant of the goblin with the oversized arrows

• m2_quest/boar2_weak (32x32, 240hp, ~10dps, wildanimal, low, 75XP)
- Weaker variant of the great boar

• m2_quest/sylphiel (32x72, invincible, ~0.25dps, non-hostile)
- Sylphiel at her gram's house.

• m2_quest/pot (prop)
- Sylphiel's cooking pot.

* Available, tested, but not appearing in this patch.

[SPOILER SECTION END]

DOWNLOAD AT THE USUAL PLACE

Minor, optional, server side patch, fixes two minor issues with the soup quest, that I shoulda caught sooner (apply after the update):
http://www.rkszone.com/downloads/msc/SE ... p_fix2.rar

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ran into a minor bug, caused by last second code changes, that I guess I shoulda re-tested the script end for (I swear I checked for conflicts, but meh)... In anycase, it's stopping Sylphiel from counting up quest items. This minor server side patch fixes it, and RKS should have the fix soon enough:
http://www.rkszone.com/downloads/msc/SE ... p_fix2.rar

Again, that's only for servers, doesn't affect anything client side.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I just noticed something...

7775.png

(edit: Hrmm... Musta been a bug, we dropped from 32 to 216 in one day. :\)

Wow... ModDb has clearly gone to sh*t. ;)

Additionally, seems we're on their front page again (second scroller panel entry), although this time the pic looks a little fubar...

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Today I decided to try and log on and play to see what the game was like for nostalgic reasons.
I was confronted by a player who insulted me saying I was a cheater and should be banned or something.
A very uncomfortable experience, what the hell was that about? He accused me of being J-M.

I admit, I resent you from taking away the big bad from the lore but I still respect you as a team leader and developer, can you end this nonsense?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Didn't take away any big bad, just didn't add new ones. ;) But I'm afraid I can't do much about players being a-holes. Not even the Power of Fate could do that - seems the gods just made some of them this way. *sigh*

...Perhaps it is some sort of divine test beset upon us all from on high? ;)

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Snazzy.

I'm also now able to record voice lines in a non-terrible way thanks to some shiny new equipment and some fairly full-on tutoring, so is there anything that you reckon could do with a decidedly British voiceover?

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
Today I decided to try and log on and play to see what the game was like for nostalgic reasons.
I was confronted by a player who insulted me saying I was a cheater and should be banned or something.
A very uncomfortable experience, what the hell was that about? He accused me of being J-M.

I admit, I resent you from taking away the big bad from the lore but I still respect you as a team leader and developer, can you end this nonsense?

Who said that to you?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Gurluas said:

Who said that to you?

Someone whose named started Pe- or Pa- Something, I can't remember the name.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
Someone whose named started Pe- or Pa- Something, I can't remember the name.

Pallandos? Saw him 2 days ago and yesterday for the first time, muchahadeen member that i never seen before with some of the newest items in his hands and 900+ hp. Only one that goes with the initials you gave and recently played (at least with me).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tentadrilus said:
Snazzy.

I'm also now able to record voice lines in a non-terrible way thanks to some shiny new equipment and some fairly full-on tutoring, so is there anything that you reckon could do with a decidedly British voiceover?
Lessee... There's the elves Findlebind Goodheart (bloodrose), and Vorondo (sorc_villa), possibly Smivel (Helena), who are all written up yonder. Looking at the unrefined list, there's Olof (Thornlands), maybe Narad (daragoth\spid_dude) - not a lot of lines, but also a Bloodstone quest speech, similar with Cathain (deralia\guard_barracks). Then there's Thordac (deralia\blacksmith), the harbor master (deralia\hmaster), the inkeeper (deralia\innkeeper), The Lord of the Land (deralia\knight_lord), Pat with the hat (deralia\pat)... Gods there's a lot...

If you can do an older brit, and have a lot of time on your hands, there's always Sembelbin (edana\masterp), amongst others.

If one tickles your fancy I can pull it out of there and clean it up (in the case of Bloodstone quest guys, I'll pull the lines from the other file, as they are centralized in the old base_chat.)

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Awesome. I'll certainly give the elves a bash, and I'll have a go any dwarves that are as yet unvoiced, too. Time to flex my faux Scotch accent.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Assuming it's real, what patch is that? (Pre-Shender_East I assume.) Maybe I can track the issue down using one of the archives.

Hey, i found more proof about the multipliers and would be nice to have them back (for real this time).

g3mz1w9.png

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1496&start=2460#p141275

You wrote it in the logs, remember?

Also the elf is still annoying like hell, i dont know what changes you really made to this part, i tried it once, seems like the elf tanks the cold guardians easier now, but when the fire ones spawn, rape is unleashed and he dies rather quickly even when healing him at a distance and using summons as backup. Also noticed doing 576 heals instead of 500, minor healing buff to rejuv?