EMERGENCY BETA PATCH - All Players Invisibe?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This patch will update JAN2007a, b, or c.
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev1/JAN2007d_patch_only.zip
Without this patch, all players will be invisible to you

New Fixes:
- Removed the armor fix in hopes of putting an end to char corruption once and for all
- Fixed Lord BS's AI
- Adds a fuznet.cfg
- Fixes keybind menu
- Several other minor fixes

Old fixes:
- High level map crashes when transitioning from low level maps
- High level monsters making maps go *poof* (eg. Shaddarh)
- Massive monster spawns causing map crashes (eg. Highlands_MSC spiders)
- Character corruption leading to crash (but not the crash itself) [Except for new chars!] :oops:
- Some other, more minor stuff

It will not prevent crashes caused by connecting corrupt characters, but it will hopefully prevent more characters from being affected.

If you find a character crashing your server, please report their ID immediately so we can roll them back and prevent them from crashing other servers. (I also suggest temp banning them, as invariably, they will repeatedly try to connect.)

The front page beta package has been updated - if you downloaded JAN2007d from there, you do not need this patch.

This announcement to be removed in 1 (more) week.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Yikes :oldshock:

I didn't know other people could crash the server, let alone from an error. I too hope this works, now!!! Of course, I haven't been hosting too much so I suppose I haven't had too much to worry about...

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd hate to say it, but I will almost certainly be releasing a JAN2007C in the near future, I've come accross some other issues. Meh, December was quite busy, didn't get nearly as much testing done as was needed...

This is the only character-deleting bit I know of though, and it seems to be solved (haven't seen any new ones).

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
When I get too close to boars in Edana, they end up landing on my head. I can still kill them. I could work with catapulting boars but stylish hat boars is fairly rediculous...

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hehe.... looks like playing an final fantasy 2 on an snes emulator would be a good plan instead of my character A-splode in ms :oldlol:

Kokris666

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea i kinda just played on blastos since his server was still running the december patch because that patch was nuttier that a nutty butty and was quite odd but if this fixes that crazy stuff you got my download.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright, here's the JAN2007C patch as promised (linked above).

...The D patch I may get out in the next week or so, but I must do rent paying stuff now... This C patch should address all the major crash issues though (I hope). The D patch is just going to be further attempts to fix the armor (ie. invisiblity), and maybe some improvements on the bank system, neither of which is absolutely critical.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Guess that didn't do it...

...It seems young characters (those born after Dec31st) are still getting corrupted.

As such, I'm surrending the armor fix. It just seems hopeless:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev1/JAN2007d_patch_only.zip

If characters are still getting corrupted on the JAN2007D patch, then I'll axe the bank as well, but I'm fairly certain it's related to the armor fix.

I was hoping to have a new bank system up by now, but with the character corruption still going on, I figure I should just rush this.

The boring details:
I spent 6 hours this morning trying to find a way to salvage the armor fix, but the ONLY way I can find involves equipping the players body, and then removing it in exchange for predefined armor bodies. This rapid adding/removal of "special slot" undroppable items seems to cause the corruption.

Originally, I was just going to equip the players body 1 time, and simply have it read the character every 10 seconds or so to see if his armor attributes changed. That only works for the server though, because the clientside of the script can't read vars in from any other script but its own. Further it can't read vars on its own script that were set on the server-side pass, only constants. Thus I had to actually remove this body in exchange for the armor with the proper constants. Most annoying.

To Lord K
I also tried making it a client side effect, but the index $get(ent_me,index) the body would give the client side always seemed to be bunk (it had a number, but $getcl couldn't read anything from it.)

I do have one other armor fix idea, but it's mostly code side. That would be to add a setmodelbody feature to the setprop command. There is already modelindex ability in setprop, but I can't seem to figure how to translate modelindex into submodel groupings.

I added to manage to add rendermode and renderamt to the setprop's abilities, and I've seen that I CAN affect the player with setprop, and make him transparent/glow/etc. So it seems if I could figure a way to use setprop to get the reference.mdl to use the proper submodels, we might be back in business without so much screwy fuss with equipping bodies and special slots.

I attempted to copy the setmodelbody command to the setprop functions, but it doesn't seem to work either (no clue why).

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just to let you know, whenever I attempt to get the betapack from your page Thothie, I get 404'ed...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I took it down for a few mins while I re-upload it. I forgot how quick you patch paranahs are. ;)

Reks

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I spent 6 hours this morning trying to find a way to salvage the armor fix

Thanks for your dedication Thothie. I hope this patch stops the corrputions so I can play longer this time :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
IT'D DAMN WELL BETTER! :evil:

Heh, just keep an eye on what version the server is running before you connect to it, usually it takes a few days for the servers to catch up (save HellsDiner, which is always 2 months behind.)

Reks

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Are we allowed to connect to servers that are Jan2007c? None of them have updated yet T.T

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I still can't apply the map patches....and I don't have the banker in Helena, so it isn't worknig properly. New bloat-pack?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's a bloat pack for JAN2007b - it's still good under this patch and includes the helena bank. I'm not making another bloat patch to fix the Horror/Enraged - not worth the time.

Are we allowed to connect to servers that are Jan2007c? None of them have updated yet T.T
Allowed? Yes. Is it safe? No.

My server's still up (recently crashed by an old corrupt player). The others will upgrade eventually, no doubt.

I'm trying to figure a way to stop it from crashing it at all... If someone can confirm to me they can connect to Hellsdiner corrupted or something, maybe I have an idear... But whenever I replace one of my characters with a corrupted one, it loads fine - which drives me insane.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Like I told ya, map update thread.

BTW - if you can't run that patch, you can't compile maps with ZHLT either, so yer going to have to figure something if yer going to go into that again.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Probably not, I'm 99.999% certain the corruption bug is related to the armor.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
This morning, I deleted one of my chars and started a new one. Played about 6 hours in a row then noticed patch D was out. I was using patch C. After installing patch D, I was crashing everytime I was starting my server without being able to even choose a char. Tried to connect to Thothie's then I realised I crashed it. I had to uninstall my whole MSC and install it all over again. Once I was done, the char I deleted was still there, as if didn't play today. :? I don't get it!

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Maybe Thothie saw you crashed it and rolled you back without letting you know =\

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
HumanSteak said:
This morning, I deleted one of my chars and started a new one. Played about 6 hours in a row then noticed patch D was out. I was using patch C. After installing patch D, I was crashing everytime I was starting my server without being able to even choose a char. Tried to connect to Thothie's then I realised I crashed it. I had to uninstall my whole MSC and install it all over again. Once I was done, the char I deleted was still there, as if didn't play today. :? I don't get it!

did you at any point connect to an unpatched server (ie hells diner)?

Basher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
is it normal?

On patch jan2007d: is it normal that my Torn Leather Vest is misplaced again (like on dec2006x)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
May have had to roll you back before the patch.

Server hosts may want to clear their internet and caches and re-download the patch so the TRULY new players don't have to download that 2mb p_armorvest2.mdl from you or your content server:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev1/JAN2007d_patch_only.zip (same place)

Not a huge deal, but annoying.