INFO Bug Reports NOV2015a

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Code:
Tue Mar 29 01:24:36 2016> [STEAM_0:0:xxxxxxxx] Calcifer(0): music wont play for me
Tue Mar 29 01:24:40 2016> PLAYER_LEFT: Calcifer [STEAM_0:0:xxxxxxxx] [ PlayerCountNow: 3 [ 3 active ] ]
Tue Mar 29 01:24:43 2016> PLAYER_JOIN: Calcifer[STEAM_0:0:xxxxxxxx] ip: xx.xx.xx.xx:27005
Tue Mar 29 01:25:04 2016> [STEAM_0:0:xxxxxxxx] unnamed(0): I cant spawn
Tue Mar 29 01:25:05 2016> [STEAM_0:0:xxxxxxxx] unnamed(0): ****
Meh, nothing useful in the chatlog there - the debug log might have had something, but it resets with each map change (otherwise it'd just grow beyond imagining right quick), so I'd have to catch it soon after it happened.
I told you the moment it happened :oldlol: I didn't think much of the bug, since I've never seen it happen. I can't recreate it either.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, but I didn't catch the post until nearly a day later, so I'm just saying, if it happens again, report it again, and I might be lucky enough to catch it this time...

...It's kinda mimicking the 5hp bug behavior, so I'm wondering if it's related to the latest solution to said.

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
after 31min of playing orc_for, 2k hp scaling. Bone Abomination, no deaths, yielded 4k exp. That exp timer seems to malfunction.

I can provide some shitty pictures i took with my cellphone prooving that we played the map for 31min and still the exp didnt ramp up.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Already on the list. The fact that it's broken and giving you any XP at all is a bit strange though... Wonder if it's storing the XP too soon, and thus giving the base XP.

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
the issue: random crashes and severe lagg
my specs: Win 7 professional, system language chinese simplified

my wild guess whats happening: having set my system language to a non unicode compatible language. on pressing ALT+Shift my keyboard starts writing in chinese and I think this is what may be causing the crashes, but the lagg for sure.

hot fix: setting the system language back to something unicode compatible. no crashes so far.

Iam not 100% sure on this one, anybody can provide data to similar behaviour or general input ?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Phosphorcracker said:
the issue: random crashes and severe lagg
my specs: Win 7 professional, system language chinese simplified

my wild guess whats happening: having set my system language to a non unicode compatible language. on pressing ALT+Shift my keyboard starts writing in chinese and I think this is what may be causing the crashes, but the lagg for sure.

hot fix: setting the system language back to something unicode compatible. no crashes so far.

Iam not 100% sure on this one, anybody can provide data to similar behaviour or general input ?
I've had some complaints about the Asian-language compatibility before, or at least I think I have - most of the old Asian FN server hosts barely spoke any engrish, so it's kinda hard to tell, but I *think* that's what they were on about. I know it also has problems with some European language layouts - though likely not as severe. (Plus I think we actually fixed some of that when we started sanitizing text inputs.)

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
me again,

wanted to get that ice magic up and noticed that hoarfrostshard icefield isnt yielding any ice exp and i think it should ?
also the Wintercleaver isnt yielding any ice exp with any dot or ability wich i dunno if its intended or not. i think its a bug since charged jump GTA dot levels lightning magic while charged jump wintercleaver dot isnt giving any ice exp.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
May have to go over some of the older weapons again - it used to be there was no way to get XP from weapon DOT's - takes a bit of extra scripting to make it work. Probably missed a few.

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
Ice circle is swordsmanship EXP!

thanks, when ppl told me to use hoarfrost to level ice i thought it should give ice exp. thanks for the clearance.

Thothie said:
May have to go over some of the older weapons again - it used to be there was no way to get XP from weapon DOT's - takes a bit of extra scripting to make it work. Probably missed a few.

i further played around GTA and every GTA dot is leveling lightning magic for me.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Phosphorcracker said:
i further played around GTA and every GTA dot is leveling lightning magic for me.
As it should be.

DOT's usually go to the related magic ability. When they don't, it's usually an oversight.

They rarely make up a large portion of the damage, so it's better to give your magic a little helping hand while you level your melee.

...unless you're deliberately crippling yourself by avoiding leveling magic or something - but we don't encourage that, obviously.

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
As it should be.

its late, english is hard. i thought it was supposed to not level magic exp ? since any ice weapon isnt yielding ice exp with the dot, i tried wintercleaver, ice typhoon, frozen malet.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I are saying, magic damage over time effects should give XP to the related magic skill, rather than the weapon skill. If you hit something with a sword that does additional cold damage, and the amount of said damage is determined by your Ice skill, then you should get Ice XP for that extra damage.

I've been leveling my ice on the side that way for a long time, I've never noticed it broken before - though I don't have a Wintercleaver on any of my chars, and the one with the hoarfrost is overleveled in ice, so I probably just didn't notice. All the ice blades work fine though, as does the litch tongue and the popsicle polearm.

Mind you, if the damage in question is not factored by your magical skill level, then it isn't supposed to go to said skill. The Fang Tooth, for instance, does the same poison damage whether your Affliction level is 1 or 45. It's a tooth made from a diseased giant rat that grants it the poison, unlike say, the Lance of Affliction, which you are channeling mana through in order to power, and thus the extra damage scales directly with your Affliction level. The lance should thusly grant some experience towards the harnessing of said, unlike the tooth.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I'm almost certain that the hoarfrost shard's ice circle damage (the d.o.t.) is deliberately not leveling ice because otherwise ice would be too easy to level. Not an oversight.

The ice lance (charge #1) impact damage levels ice though. The ensuing d.o.t., however, does not.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't recall doing that... I'd have to run the numbers, but given the tiny radius, it wouldn't help that much compared to more conventional method (though the DOT is higher than it should be, I suspect). Granted I tend to use the "cast blizzard on everything" approach, while getting hauled about by much higher level players. Thing has a ridiculous radius, and lets me feel like I'm helping by slowing everything down.

To be absolutely intuitive it would be either or. The intended compromise was if skill affects the damage, it gives XP to the skill that affects it. Even then, there's gotta be a few exceptions - sometimes due to balancing, yes, but more often due to the method used to deliver the damage not allowing it. There were some issues with the chaos axe bursts in this regard, among others.

(Actually looks)
Code:
createnpc monsters/summon/circle_of_ice_player $get(ent_owner,origin) $get(ent_owner,id) 15 5 CFROST_DAMAGE spellcasting.ice
According to this... It should be going to ice. :\ (Also, yeah, that DOT [CFROST_DAMAGE] is getting multiplied twice, as I suspected.)

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
...shouldn't that be "spellcasting.cold" instead of "spellcasting.ice"?

To be honest I'd much rather have the ice circle XP actually go to ice (and if that is also your intention, then I guess this is a bug report :p ).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nah... The damage type is "cold" - but the skill is "ice". Looking at it, I'm not sure why it's not working. :\

It should be doing about half as much damage though. I should also comb through and double check the DOT"s are uniform sometime. In this case, however, since the XP isn't going where it should, I'm not liable to fix one unless I can fix the other, and as this has pretty much zero affect on the game, it's rather low priority compared to everything else on the list.

[Just a heads up to the other devs: I'll be out of contact next few days - adventures with aliens.]

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Ice circle always has leveled swordsmanship, and makes sense since it's more than just an applied dot but an actual spell cast by the sword itself... which is made of ice... hrmmm...

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Bug report (I think):

My winter wolf has 3323 XP right now. In a very old changelog, I found the following:
- Pets require the creature they kill has at least 1% of their XP
- So you can only level up on rats so long before you must move on to boars, etc.
I just had my winter wolf kill a few trolls (300 XP each, which is about 9% of my wolf's XP) yet it didn't gain any XP. Is this a bug or did something get changed? Can you shed some light on how pet leveling works? What are the target XP requirements, when compared to pet XP?

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I could have sworn that just last patch hoarfrost ice circle xp counted towards your ice level, but I guess I could be wrong...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
My winter wolf has 3323 XP right now. In a very old changelog, I found the following:
- Pets require the creature they kill has at least 1% of their XP
Should read 10%. Been that way since 2008.

TheOysterHippopotami said:
I could have sworn that just last patch hoarfrost ice circle xp counted towards your ice level, but I guess I could be wrong...
Script's not been modified in years, and it's definitely pointing to the right skill... Something maybe buggered on the DOT end.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for clearing that up :) 1% seemed a bit low anyway.

Quick bug report: The stone skeletons in lodagond-1 appear to automatically wake up after a certain (as of yet unmeasured) time. This event can be easily reproduced: Just votemap any server to lodagond-1 and wait and they'll wake up. I've seen this happen almost ten times now, never in "real time" (as in: in-game), but always after joining an empty server that had been on lodagond-1 for a while.

Also, quick question: You recommend -num_edicts 1500 in MS:C's launch options. Why not a bigger value? I think you had a reason for this but I forgot/can't find it.

Another thing: Rat stacking doesn't work (I thought FEB2015a enabled it). Intentional?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Quick bug report: The stone skeletons in lodagond-1 appear to automatically wake up after a certain (as of yet unmeasured) time. This event can be easily reproduced: Just votemap any server to lodagond-1 and wait and they'll wake up. I've seen this happen almost ten times now, never in "real time" (as in: in-game), but always after joining an empty server that had been on lodagond-1 for a while.
Not sure about that one... Glancing at the source I'm not sure how Crow arranged the sleep messages, as I don't see skels_sleep nor any addparams (map predates the latter feature). Been too long for me to remember - gonna have to dig. (Also can't seem to duplicate on LAN, at least not just sitting at spawn.)

Since they are supposed to awaken when you come close enough to the door, I suppose it could be a ripent/ent_only job messing up brush order again, but I think you'd have bigger problems if that were the case.

Also, quick question: You recommend -num_edicts 1500 in MS:C's launch options. Why not a bigger value? I think you had a reason for this but I forgot/can't find it.
Values larger than this were found to cause crashes as well as prevent certain maps from loading. Seems you can only increase -num_edicts so much before it starts eating into something else. In any case, it needs to be in sync with the server you're connecting to in order to do any good, and all the RKS servers are 1500.

Another thing: Rat stacking doesn't work (I thought FEB2015a enabled it). Intentional?
You should be able to stack rats on top of each other or on top of other summons, even though ya kinda have to build stair-cases rather than jump and stack straight up - rat-a-pulting may not be working though.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
sorc_villa hostile achievement quest is broken... As in: you can kill orcs 'till you drop, but the achievement never upgrades. And yes, I know it's tin = 10, bronze = 60, silver = 110 and so on, but after losing count past 180 or so orcs, I still had the tin achievement. This was on [FN] and later on I verified the problem in my non-[FN] server.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Coulda swore we just fixed that... *sigh*