BUG REPORTS GO HERE: APR2008a

Wrath

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This is indeed a very big bug and I do think the rollback would be a good idea along with an immediate B patch that is required for FN.

Also like to point out that i suggested this to Sabre (even though this might of gotten done anyway) I helped get it done tonight. :)

Yes I am taking credit.

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
I can see your opinion about the rollback situation, but at the same point i can see the worth of being rolled back. I know its a shitty situation, i know it sucks. Mabye they'll just check all those character's and see, but you do also have to see it from their point of view.

Anyways, its not like you got to play much since the bug anyways, been to busy working on figureing out wtf was going on right?

brian4

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Slaytanic_pb said:
and **** you for not believing that I WAS busy and being honest about what happened and accusing myself and others of[ hacking.
/seconded

edit: Good idea Wrath on recreating the error. Hell, you can have our spare blood drinker for that. We were going to save it for a clan mate, but we'll get another for him tomorrow.

edit #2: Are we still getting rolled back? No point in giving OMW the BD today if everyone is being rolled back anyway.

Picadilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Here are the STEAM_ID's I found for that run of mscave. I'm sure there were no more runs after that because I took out the map and changed back to edana as soon as I realized what was happening:

[ STEAM_0:1:4268653 ]
[ STEAM_0:1:606801 ]
[ STEAM_0:0:12864684 ]
[ STEAM_0:0:4956833 ]
[ STEAM_0:0:1054755 ]
[ STEAM_0:0:8740276 ]
[ STEAM_0:1:3484931 ]
[ STEAM_0:1:4256750 ]
[ STEAM_0:0:1914428 ]
[ STEAM_0:0:1029999 ]
[ STEAM_0:1:4859157 ]
[ STEAM_0:1:4985228 ]

As for rollbacks, I'd like to apologize to any player who was on the Revolution #2 server at the time of this bug occurrence.
We had no foreknowledge of this bug, so we had no way of preventing your untimely rollback. We're sorry if posting your STEAM_ID here feels like a breach of your personal info. I'd like to assure you, that nobody can steal your STEAM accounts with simply a STEAM_ID.

***************************EDIT**************************

Considering we don't know if mscave is the only map affected by this bug, should we just take servers offline until the problem is solved? Or go to non-[FN] mode?

Kieuseru

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Eh, rollback means I lose AoB and Blugeon Hammer I recently attained. Just check the IDs for any excessive amount of DCs, like 4+.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok this really annoys me because.... This past patch April2008a was released not to long and then Central Servers Crashed and my character was lost. Yes restored but with a bunch of levels and skills gone that i had trained hard that day to use Healing Circle meaning Spell Casting! Now am going to lose them again for a bug that wasn't even my fault!?? Yes i picked up DC's but tossed them all as well. So no harm done! Its really going to suck to get rolled back twice this week for just playing the god dam game. I don't want to spend hours again just to level spell casting again for the 3rd time! c'mon give me a break!

Slaytanic_pb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, there's certainly not point in playing today, now that this happened, but getting rolled back for nothing, and losing a DAY's worth of work really sucks for a BUG that I DIDN'T make happen.

Man, this sucks, as I was hoping to enjoy my day playing the game, and because of this I can't.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Let me make something, perfectly, clear

THIS WAS NOT A BUG

Someone hacked. Period.

There’s no bug that can cause anything like this.

No chests share any names, no items are crossed.

The odds of it happening by random are as part of memory leak are some such are so astronomical, that not only are the odds of you winning the lottery more likely – the odds Pamela Anderson spontaneously manifesting herself at your bedside from random quantum particles, are more likely.

However…

The Revolution is a long standing, open server. It’s rarely ever been passworded (or I woulda shut it down already), and it’s never been a problem. There’s a CHANCE (however improbable) that the hack was done on the client side via memory editor. In which case it isn’t the host’s fault.

As such, unless Blasto decides otherwise, given the cooperation and all, I’m entirely willing to let the server live. But those of you who were caught abusing the bug, knew perfectly well what you were doing, and will be rolled back.

...I should point out, however, regading the cooperation: you're missing some ID's. Or at least, there are several first hand witnesses to the hack who's ID's you do not have listed there, one of which gave me a screenshot, and that kinda makes me wonder...

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I really don't want to read through 6 pages so I'm just going to post. Was it intentional to have your weapons turn useless when other people die to the boss? Example: 3 people are dieing to Rune, and dieing a lot. I never die once. My weapons are useless because of people who suck?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No, the boss resistance system is bjorked to hell - hope to fix it in a B patch along with the chest in Smugglers_cove. (Don't go to oceancrossing unless the host is there to click Okay, or you'll kill the server.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Another interim patch for those who feel experimental, since I can't seem to test this thoroughly (was trying with bandit bosses, but either died too quick, or killed the server with edicts):

http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/APR2008a_interim2.rar

- May fix boss resist bug
- Kinda fixes arti chest
- Fixes missing chest on smugglers_cove

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
THIS WAS NOT A BUG
I know I should not be getting into this, but I like to protect innocent people who might be receiving an unjustified rollback.

How do you explain this:
Sabre said:
Well... It looks like I and a few others have made a mistake in this case, as we just replicated this bug. I owe Picadilly and Slaytanic_Pb an apology for the accusations that were just proven false on my server.

(In other words, Thothie, we replicated the bug.)
EDIT: Btw, Slay, if you have chatlogging, you have steamIDs.

I guess I could start acting like a few other very naive individuals now and say:
"Sabre hacks! He is acquiring dark mauls illegitimately! There is an influx of rares and the world will end tomorrow!"

But I think the odds of Pamela Anderson manifesting herself next to my bedside out of random quantum particles are more likely.

Edit: And I just want to add that I think it's downright pathetic that some people still randomly accuse Picadilly and Slaytanic_pb of hacking and whatnot. I've always had good experiences with them in-game and if you are one of those people who honestly think you're contributing by posting false accusations, you should probably pull your head out of your ass.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Someone involved with the test is the hacker.

Could be any client, wouldn't have to be Sabre, but said client would love to pass it off as a bug, I'm sure.

If not, we've no control over treasure distrabution, and this mod is done.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Fine, I'll try to recreate this right now with people we all can trust.
Or, people I think we all can trust.

Jabba and Picadilly are going to help me, now I need nine others.

And Thothie, please, consider for another 30 seconds the possibility that this could actually be a bug.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If it was crapping random items that you couldn't take out of the chest, maybe. But straight FF's on a specific, intact item - that doesn't happen. It's not as if Demon Claws would be on the 256th item index either. While some things break with numbers of players, item counts in treasure chests are not among them, much less specific items.

Point being, if it is a bug, the mod is dead. There's no way to diagnose that, as it's impossible by any standards we can work with to even begin a bug hunt.

Basically, it'd only prove we have no control over the inventory system, and would be fsked until someone came along with enough coding knowledge to remake the entire inventory system into something we did. No one on the current team can do that.

Slaytanic_pb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wow, I'm still in shock as to what has happened, what what has been done, and what has been said.

For one, I had no idea that one client side cheat could effect what everyone in the server sees. Is that REALLY possible?

Two, If this did happen as a result of having too many players in the server, could you not just ask those of us that do host servers to just NOT host server above X amount of players, X being the magical number that causes this bug.

Three, if it's a result of this new patch, is there anyway of testing it with the old patch, and older characters to confirm it's not the latest patch that has caused this?

Four, after having played in this mod for well over 1 & 1/2 years, to be accused to having possiblely WANTING to do this just makes me sick.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
So we just recreated the bug.

"we" =

By the way, it wasn't on [FN] so keep your rollback hammer to yourself.

"we" =

No rolling back >_>

J-M v2.5.5
Tull
Jabba
Mauvegroove
Picadilly
Slaytanic_pb
Stellie
IARI
Mikkel
some other dudes who randomly connected, I'll check the server logs if you want to know, not that it matters.

Thing is, we recreated this 65536 items bug FOUR TIMES during ONE session, and Tull figured out what causes it, so he should PM you.

Slaytanic_pb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Again, I'd like to say thanks JM and especially Tull who have managed to figure out what was the cause of this.

I hope this gets figured out and put behind us.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
In helena, that made sense, as the names matched up - but that's not what's happening here. It especially doesn't explain why it's always demon claws.

xxxcoldmanxxx

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey! I helped too! xD! But it was Tull who told me to open the chest haha.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*sigh* Best I can do for now is rip out the chests in question.

If it comes up again, we're going to have to look at eliminating chests entirely, because this isn't the issue it appears to be.

That'd mean doing everything through monster inventory and/or artifact chests... And if stores get affected to (as I suspect they will, stores and chests working on the same system) - we'd have to rig something where all purchasing was done through the NPC interaction menu (even less fun). :oldcry:

If it wasn't always demon claws I might have a clue, but otherwise... This just makes no sense. ><

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
In helena, that made sense, as the names matched up - but that's not what's happening here. It especially doesn't explain why it's always demon claws.
It's not always demon claws :eek:
When Sabre duplicated this bug, he saw a dark maul cloned 65536 times.

And when we tried there weren't any demon claws when we saw it happen. Tull did manage to clone a pouch of 100 coins, a heavy war hammer, a knight's platemail helmet and a gladiator armor (forgot to screenshot the last one, you'll just have to trust me on this).
This is what we saw:

msc_bug08a.png

msc_bug08b.png

msc_bug08c.png

Anti-forum stretching can suck my dick :roll:

Edit: And then we went to Mikkel's server (also non-[FN] that session) and got 65536 summon undead scrolls to pop up.

It can happen with any item in those particular two chests I PM'd you about, as far as I know.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
After having everyone drop their items, I did like to say this is FN. OWNED :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That's a bit different then...

Demon Claws every time = H4x0r. Random Items = Fux0r. Might be able to work something on that basis...

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
So we just recreated the bug.

"we" =

By the way, it wasn't on [FN] so keep your rollback hammer to yourself.

"we" =

No rolling back >_>

J-M v2.5.5
Tull
Jabba
Mauvegroove
Picadilly
Slaytanic_pb
Stellie
IARI
Mikkel
some other dudes who randomly connected, I'll check the server logs if you want to know, not that it matters.

Thing is, we recreated this 65536 items bug FOUR TIMES during ONE session, and Tull figured out what causes it, so he should PM you.
ack dont leave me out!!! Just checked my characters! am fucked already! lost all my earned stats! My fucking lesser bag WTF!

Thothie said:
That's a bit different then...

Demon Claws every time = H4x0r. Random Items = Fux0r. Might be able to work something on that basis...

Mines all ready been rolled back :( C'mon thothie i been rolled back 2 this week!