Bug Reports FEB2011a

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaRTF

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I had some situations where during votelock the no votes outnumbered yes votes by 1, and the server still got locked.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Maldora drops a tomahawk, I grab it but nothing goes into my inventory.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Then someone else got it. Sometimes, when people are beating up Maldora and he dies, he'll drop his tomahawk and everybody will be spamming X. The game might tell you that you picked it up, but another player "really" picked it up.

I've had this happen at least three times on [FN] now. Fortunately, the right person always got it. The X spamming still dates back to all previous patches, when everybody was still on their toes all the time, fearing a server crash.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
really, then someone (wild guess is Noah) nija'd it. Did loda4 a second time and its seems like it makes the drop sound before actually appearing.
Also Jordy told me that hapenned to him before.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't *think* it uses the item-reserve system, and thus reserve the item for the player with the most damage points - I'll have to check when I get back. I also dunno if something weird is going on with dynamic item creation (though given how central it is to the game system - indeed is used every time you use a scroll, it seems unlikely). I could stick the thing in his chest, but the exit wouldn't be quite so dramatic. ;)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I just got a random crash in edana that I had never seen before. It came with the following message - Fatal Error: cache_tryalloc: 1862224 is greater than free hunk

Dunno if this is new or not.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sounds like you tried using a -num_edicts flag on your HLDS or listenserver. Don't do that.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Odd, you shouldn't be able to see that server error from the client side. :\ Do you have any flags in your launch options? (Also was it just you it dumped, or the whole server?)

rE-

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I got that error a few times too, iam using num_edicts thingie, and i dont rly want to take it out because on some maps like umulak or bloodrose, you wont get kicked bcoz of the edicts error when there's like 6+ people on

Btw, it happens only when iam still playing a map and i minimize my msc window, if i dont get back in the game for like 20min i get that error most of the time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I dun think it'll actually help on the client side. It's the server side edict count that makes it die.

Server side, you'll have to decide what it's worth to you. You can try different values, but it sometimes causes other odd behavior. Depending on the setting, it may generate as many crashes as it prevents.

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Adding -num_edicts to your launch option causes this, but it's worth it most of the time.

Without it, you get kicked out of servers when the server goes above the default maximum amount of ents (900s-1000s, depending on the amount of player slots), even if the server has it set to a higher number to avoid crashing.

This happens most often on Catacombs, and I think you were there when it was happening once, Thoth.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Edict overflows on the client side shouldn't be fatal (just get the tempent overflow console spam). I've been kicked on Catacombs, and other maps, a few times, and I saw the "omfg-I-thought-we-killed-this-thing" chat text bug on Catacombs once, but I've never gotten an edict overflow error from it.

If it's generating edict overflows on the server side, that'd make sense, as there are far too many sprites in there. Maybe I should go back and frag them afterall, but I thought the map was being surprisingly stable under the circumstances. :\

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
>_>

<_<

I think we've been over this before with the edict thing.

Cartman-2000 said:
I don't remember what the exact error was that you would get disconnected with, but you would get the disconnect error on entity heavy maps client side if the server has that flag set, and the client doesn't. The sc4.0 installers set's the max_edicts flag to the mods launch options in steam, so the clients have the flag as well. I tried this max_edicts flag on my sven servers before 4.0 and it would get people disconnected form the server on maps that are close to the entity limit, unless they set the flag in there launch options.

MiB said:
IIRC, clients don't have an 'edict' class type, but they still use the indexes of server edicts to make arrays of entities.

Cartman-2000 said:
That's probably the reason why it get disconnects when using the flag only server side, dynamically generated server side entities(like an entity spawning a bunch of npc entities.) could have an invalid index number on the client as the client is bound, for server side ents, by the default max entity count + number of slots on the server times 15. And the client will either use the default max or the max set by the num_edicts flag in the clients launch options.

found the error it gives you, I posted about it about a year and a half ago on the sc forums.
Host_Error: CL_EntityNum: 1103 is an invalid number, cl.max_edicts is 1095

Long story short, if the server goes over the default max edicts but has -num_edicts set to a higher number, it will not crash.

Any clients that have the default number will get kicked out of the server with something resembling this message:

Host_Error: CL_EntityNum: 1103 is an invalid number, cl.max_edicts is 1095

Seriously, trust me on this one.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Odd, you shouldn't be able to see that server error from the client side. :\ Do you have any flags in your launch options? (Also was it just you it dumped, or the whole server?)
I'm pretty sure I have no flags in my launch options as I don't really know what that means or does, let alone know how to set them. And, it was just me who got booted from the server.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
All very strange... Hopefully it's a once in a blue moon thing... I shall have to experiment.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is not a once in a blue moon thing, as it just happened again. It was in Edana this time as well, so perhaps it's isolated just to this map. Also, it only seems to occur after I have spent a fair amount of time in the map chatting.

Edit: Wait, I actually got a different error this time. This time, the error reads thus: FATAL ERROR: Mod_NumForName:models/weapons/p_weapons3,mdl not found

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Is that comma supposed to be in there? If so, it means someone typed it wrong in the code.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis what I was thinking, but I went searching for ",mdl" in both scripts and code, and got nadda. So either he copied the error wrong, or the constant containing the model path got corrupted somehow. (Being reset as a var can sometimes do that, but that's bloody neigh impossible to track down.)
[edit: I see his post - dernitall, waste of time that was...]

Not the first person to mention an error with the precache of p_weapons3.mdl though. I think it's the largest of the bunch - maybe causing some issue, being so close to the complier's limits.

PS. You can check your launch options by opening the Steam Game's Library, right clicking on the MSC icon, selecting Properties, and clicking the "Set Launch Options" button... Just on the off chance that someone walked you through adding a launch option, and ye forgot about it.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I'll check those launch options as soon as I finish the wall.

And speaking of that, a bizarre glitch just occured. We voted for the_wall and when it loaded, my HUD had the scramble glitch and the entire map was freaking out. It was raving as if someone had thrown a million magical firewoods. Then I crashed, big time. Took like 5 minutes to effectively ctrl+alt+delete the client.

Tried to join a second time, got the HUD glitch but no firewood glitch and it crashed again.

Edit: I am VERY frequently, and for no apparent reason, getting the scambled hud/client crash glitch. It's almost a gaurantee if I get an overflow and then join a server, or if I click on my character and get a connection problem. However, it's happening often without an overflow/connection problem. It's REALLY annoying as it takes forever to ctrl+alt+delete the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.