Best MS:C troll weapon

Which weapon or spell annoys you the most?

• Neck Hunter explosive charge (reason: knockback and noise)

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Dragon Axe fire breath (reason: knockback)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Blizzard (reason: lag)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Novablade flaming skull (reason: lag)

• Orion Bow (reason: blocking of spawning monsters)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Healing Circle (reason: blocking of spawning monsters)

• Poison Cloud (reason: blocking of spawning monsters)

• Heavy Crossbow with Dwarven Bolts (reason: knockback)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Phoenix Bow (reason: noise)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Fire Wall (reason: monsters run away)

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
A while ago I was talking in-game with some other people about weapons and spells that can be used to annoy other players and now I figured I'd make a poll to find out which weapon or spell is most universally hated :p

And since I'm limited to ten poll options, here are the remaining options, which are probably less likely to get a lot of votes. If you want to vote for these options, do so in the comments.
11) Lightning Rod fourth charge (reason: knockback and pointless due to extremely low damage)
12) Volcano (reason: monsters run away, but the bat**** insane damage makes up for it, i.e. it's not as bad as Fire Wall)
13) Rebuke Undead (reason: monsters might run away)
14) Ice Wall (reason: pointless)
15) Lesser Ice Shield (reason: if someone casts this on you while you can cast Ice Shield, you're getting a 'bad deal', so to say)
16) Bludgeon Hammer rage (reason: knockback)

This poll isn't ripping on weapons and spells by the way (quite the contrary; NH/HC/PCloud/hxbow/PBow/volc ftw).

Edit: And this thread is not about nerfing/buffing weapons/spells.

Dejiko

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You forgot the charge for the bludgeon hammer.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh... Need to fix some of these obviously... Try to avoid making it easy to annoy players.

Been wanting to do something with Ice Wall for a long time. It is quite useful, actually, but only for exploiting particularly mean monsters with. I can't recall if it was Shuriken or MiB who tried to write up a script where it pushed the monsters away and then protected the player by surrounding him with a wall, but even that is dicey. Might be wise to come up with a new model - like a dome, that repells monsters, but allows players to walk through.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
You forgot the get stuck with arrows/bolts reason on the heavy crossbow (also with any other bow that uses stacks.)
There's also lag issues with orion bow/phoenix bow, when you spam those you get laggy and might get booted out of the server (depends on the item count probably).

My vote shall go to phoenix bow, most annoying thing on the poll.

My own personal list:

1) Phoenix bow (same reason + lag + blind effect from spamming it over and over)
2) Volcano (same reason + lag from spammers and unlucky moments when someone connects while these are casted)
3) Orion bow (same reason, lag, it fucks up the game's sound when you spam it over and over nonstop)
4) Nova (same reason + the skull is useless)
5) Any xbow or bow that uses bolts/arrows (reason: alot of lower-medium lvl players use these lately, it annoying when you are doing a "hard" map such has the_wall and someone makes you stuck to death with a few arrows :oldangry: )
6) Dragon axe (same reason even though it helps sometimes)
7) Healing circle (yup same reason here along with dmg point whores)
8 ) Poison cloud (there's alot of people using these useless spells on enemies with high resist or immune to poison...)
9) Neckhunter (i do agree that it sucks ass when there's someone using this while you are trying to meele, it's bad aswell when there's alot of people using NH charge attack, nonstop bangs gets annoying)
10) Bludgeon hammer (same reason and i get the feeling medium lvl players use this to quickly leech xp out of creatures and sometimes do the knockback and block other people's way, like making them not being able to reach a creature)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Been wanting to do something with Ice Wall for a long time

Why not just a single wide wall with alot of hp which nobody can go pass trough and also loses hp on friendly fire? something like using undead guardians but more defensive.

Could set it that its damn resistant but fire destroys it instantly.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
You forgot that the lightning rod plays that thunder sound each time its drawn out...Bind to hotkey for lulz.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I was the one working on the ice-ring. Had it pretty well off, but it would do the same glitchiness when a monster was caught in it.

Dejiko

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sabre said:
You forgot that the lightning rod plays that thunder sound each time its drawn out...Bind to hotkey for lulz.

You can do the same thing with demon claws too, actually. (and the sound is probably a lot more annoying for people too)

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
NO! I KNOW THE (was) GREATEST TROLL WEAPON OF ALL TIME!!!!

ZUN!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
Why not just a single wide wall with alot of hp which nobody can go pass trough and also loses hp on friendly fire? something like using undead guardians but more defensive.

Could set it that its damn resistant but fire destroys it instantly.

Would have all the same issues though. Could trap players or monsters with it, and monsters would have to know to attack it, otherwise they'd just get stuck trying to walk through it, which leads to the same exploits as the current wall. I *wish* I knew a way to make it rise from the ground and just push things up or away with it as it did so, like it intuitively should, but in addition to the fact that I can't figure a way of doing that, it'd also lead to exploits of using it to climb to areas you shouldn't get to by riding it up (not too critical, as there's already ways to do that), and it could still be used as a "Troll Weapon" by casting at players feet - especially in hazard areas.

Think spell needs an entire rework of concept, sadly, to the degree where the name likely won't fit anymore.

I recently worked out how to move map brushes around via scripts - although not always accurately. I dunno if I could come up with a way to create a map brush dynamically, that'd act like a raising door or platform, or whatnot. That'd be a lot cleaner, but still full of Troll potential. I think I can only move entity brushes with Origin brushes, so moving a dynamically created monsterclip about may not be an option.

PS. Blizzard doesn't lag for me. :\ Really shouldn't lag - all the AOE DOT spells are the same, as far as the server's concerned, and the Blizzard CL effects aren't very complicated, so I dunno why it'd lag yer client either.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
But i tought icewall instantly breaks if you cast on a monster.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's supposed to - same with players - but it doesn't always.

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
pheonix bow because everyone has it, including the lower lvl ppl n they like to spam it even though they are unable to use.
i was once one of these ppl..
:p

bleg

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lol thatd be nice. I really think they should get rid of the sound effect for phoenix or maybe only play it every 1/4th shot though. The neckhunter knockback is a major advantage so IDK if it'd be a good idea to remove it, kind of up to the players using it to not be trolls with it