b_castle [REL]

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie, have you tried b_castle with 4+ players +Ramp? It. Is. Hard.

25%hp+/player is insane when it effects EVERY SINGLE MONSTER THAT'S WITHIN THE MAP. Especially when you have 4+ different elemental animated armors (Which also have INSANE RESISTANCE TO ALL PHYSICAL WEAPONS) in large waves.

I (EXTREMELY) recommend #1) To use monster ramps on mini-bosses only (Like: Reavers=ms_snow, elite bandits=the_keep, skeleton minions=ms_wicardoven) rather than every single monster in the map. You have no idea how annoying that is.

I recommend #2) Change the Monster ramp too this: 15%hp+/player, 25%dmg+/player, 10%xp+/player. This = Hard and fun. Yours = Hard and not fun.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That'd be a lot meaner than the current 10%hp/dmg /500hp worth of players.

Only time I got a shot at it I had eight players on, mostly in their 20's, took us about 45 minutes to clear.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
It's... 10%? I could of sworn you've said it was 25% on the beta release thread. :|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It may have been back in JUL2007 - although for some it was 75% per player due to a double ramping bug.

Still tweaking the ramp system, but I think I'm going to have to rig it so the multipliers are adjustable on a map by map basis, or I'll have to nerf some treasure chests. The Cliecert and Barnum chests are rigged to be exponentially more generous by the number of players on. (8 players should always get both items on the Barnum chest - I woulda tossed more stuff in other than those two items, but I wasn't sure how the map was going to come out.)

Then again... It's kinda already adjustable on a map by map basis, as it jumps the ramp by double the HP warning level. (So if the map warns you that you don't have enough health to be there at 400hp, it ramps for every 800hp worth of players). Barnum's map never got a map description so it defaults to the 1 ramp per 500hp. So if I add an hp warning to Barnum's map of 500 it'd effectively halve the ramp - but I'd have to nerf the chest.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Beta Patch C!

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Nerf the chest that has problems anyway? The chest only seems to spawn good things when we have 6+ players. Not to mention that in the arena it has broken twice now..

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
villager said:
Thothie, have you tried b_castle with 4+ players +Ramp? It. Is. Hard.

25%hp+/player is insane when it effects EVERY SINGLE MONSTER THAT'S WITHIN THE MAP. Especially when you have 4+ different elemental animated armors (Which also have INSANE RESISTANCE TO ALL PHYSICAL WEAPONS) in large waves.

I (EXTREMELY) recommend #1) To use monster ramps on mini-bosses only (Like: Reavers=ms_snow, elite bandits=the_keep, skeleton minions=ms_wicardoven) rather than every single monster in the map. You have no idea how annoying that is.

I recommend #2) Change the Monster ramp too this: 15%hp+/player, 25%dmg+/player, 10%xp+/player. This = Hard and fun. Yours = Hard and not fun.
Wow, somebody other than me actually has the balls to say this out loud. Villager, thanks :wink:

And yeah just let me rephrase: the monster ramp is god damn annoying. No way you'll ever see that in any of my maps.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Nerf the chest that has problems anyway? The chest only seems to spawn good things when we have 6+ players. Not to mention that in the arena it has broken twice now..

I've only gotten to play b_castle the one time and it spawned fine and was full. What behavior is it exhibiting for ye?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It seems like (Shuri's words) if ya have < 6 players, you never get anything good, but when you have >= 6 players, the shield almost always spawns.

As for breaking, when you're in the arena, the bludgeons sometimes don't spawn.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Monsterspawns are probably chained wrong, I maybe able to fix that.

Chest is potentially stingy with 5 players or less. Probably stingier than it should be as the map is designed just now, as the chest was completed before the map was, and I wasn't sure what we were going to wind up with.

I'm going to PM you some dev commands you can use to "talk" to the chest and make sure it's working right.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Mmkay then. I won't be able to test it now, though. I'll have to get a team together to help me beat it after work ;-)

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sheesh... I really need a grappling hook of some sort to get past that huge gap.

With high latency, I foresee that place nigh impossible to get past.

Perhaps have a bridge lowered once a first person gets past the other side?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Huge gap? Are ya talking about the KZ part? 'cause jumping the gap is just a shortcut..

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
A very hard, and frustrating short cut.

Dark_Force9999

New Adventurer
Reaction score
there are a few tricks you might wanna learn yourself. after i learned something i shouldn't have done, it's a piece of cake.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Oh, so it's only a shortcut?

Damned... And those two GoW members nearly had me jumpining on summoned rats...

Such really does not fall under the category of "overcoming obstacles" for my character... :p

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Farming b_castle is pointless with less that 6 players... and ATM and usually there's like only 6-7 players playing MSC at all, and only 2 or 3 of them are high enough to contribute to the spawn rates... It sucks to check every now and then if there's enough high levels playing... If there's not enough, I don't play. Personally I love farming new maps with people and the reward system, but the communauty is just too small to do what you want when you want to :(
The worse part is to tell a player who can't contribute to the spawn chances to leave...

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
A very hard, and frustrating short cut.

I breeze through it! :D Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I played KZ maps for almost a year straight...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Or the fact that it's (no offense) a very easy KZ course ;-) The long jump is nice and easy if you've surfed/aim at the right spot. I rarely miss

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The jumps are easy and would be EXTREMELY easy if in CS but with MSC double tap run + lag = I should have made the fall a trigger_teleport!

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
What ya SHOULD have done was have the chest contain relocation crystals ;-)

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Late release etc... He didn't really have a choice with the chests. I think its fine as a trigger_hurt because its such a significant shortcut in the map.