[WiP] Frozen_Temple

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmmm.... I'm not seeing any issues, off hand. Ya can try doing a -full vis (add "-full" to hlvis), or changing the -cliptype to precise ("-cliptype precise" to hlcsg), and see if it jars something. Also check if there's anything in your msc/log_msdll.log. If that fails, try compiling a version with all the point entities stripped. Beyond that, I'd have to see it.

PS. Nice CPU.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I went through the log_msdll.log and think I found the issue, I the map does not contain the shroom model. So how do I package it into the map?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya can't package models into the BSP - only textures. You'll need to add the shroom model to your client.

Screwy though - tis not the error it should had thrown up at you. However, Steampipe changed how servers shut down, and that maybe causing the extraneous errors.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well it works now! woohoo!!!

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I need a name for these ruins of a dwarven city. Anyone wanna come up with a good name for an ancient dwarven city built inside of a volcano? Please help me out here.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Well going with this theme:

Norim (NOR-imm)
A dwarvish warrior, employed by the king to find the path of fire, deep in the heart of the
mountains of Utraakkrh (oo-TRAY-kah-rah). He journeyed underground for nearly seven
months before stumbling across the Palace of Urdual.

Ulaathk (oo-lah-tek) ((Cthulu Backwards))
Rundaangh (rune-dang-uh)
Suundlnh (Soon-duh-lin)
Eerdunbr(ear-dun-bar)
Maalhm (Mail-Um)
Laahnun (lay-nin)
Baaldurlng (ball-der-lung)
Oolaakmhr (oo-lake-meer)
:mrgreen:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Nanocaltem
Volrum civitatem
Nanocivi volcatem/voltatem

Randomly created from "antiquas nanorum civitatem volcano" which means "ancient dwarven city volcano". I'm not using the word antiquas in the creation of a name. Additionally "civi" means citizen, "tatem" means liberty.

This probably has no kind of connection with dwarven language in this game's lore, but it's better than nothing. :wink:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the names. Now, the question remains on if I should name the different districts of the city their own names or just a general name, i.e. lava ruins being like the industrial district, frozen ruins being the waterways, and thawed (frost) ruins being the market/town square district. As for the city name I'm leaning towards Rundaangh or Baaldurlng.

Now I really wonder what the city would have looked like before it was destroyed. It probably would have been encompassed the entire volcano as one massive metropolis and be entirely self-sufficient... Oh that would be awesome, indoor farms and to see its industry in its prime, one could only imagine the wondrous of weapons and armor they could have made, maybe even be able to buy your own mech or something! Ok I'm gonna stop wondering about the past.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Regorty said:
Now I really wonder what the city would have looked like before it was destroyed. It probably would have been encompassed the entire volcano as one massive metropolis and be entirely self-sufficient... Oh that would be awesome, indoor farms and to see its industry in its prime, one could only imagine the wondrous of weapons and armor they could have made, maybe even be able to buy your own mech or something! Ok I'm gonna stop wondering about the past.

You could easily portray this with half-torn tapestries (a thin brush with a texture), old water-logged or burnt wooden beams where a stall might be, etc.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
You could potentially have some ghostly npcs eternally carrying out their business in some areas or something.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
You could potentially have some ghostly npcs eternally carrying out their business in some areas or something.
I did think of having a ghost galat chest dude in frozen temple, it would save people a chest scroll, buuut at the same time could cause issues, soo maybe ill make fake chests and just have the ghost be a jerk to players.
Also would the ghost merchants sell actual goods, like decent gear or junk merchants.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We have a kind of additive holographic render we can use to have ghosts walking through walls and such... Repainting the dwarf white to work with it would be easy enough. Keep meaning to make that lantern carrying dwarf that Vomica wanted so many years ago - could have one lighting a path. Easy enough to script, if they just walk in a straight line and vanish when they hit a wall. *Might* even be possible to make them client side effects, so their interactions are more "ghostly".

(Still wondering what "Unwise place to build a city" would be in dwarven.)

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
We have a kind of additive holographic render we can use to have ghosts walking through walls and such... Repainting the dwarf white to work with it would be easy enough. Keep meaning to make that lantern carrying dwarf that Vomica wanted so many years ago - could have one lighting a path. Easy enough to script, if they just walk in a straight line and vanish when they hit a wall. *Might* even be possible to make them client side effects, so their interactions are more "ghostly".

(Still wondering what "Unwise place to build a city" would be in dwarven.)

Sweet, I was thinking to have a ghost banker as a bit of an easter egg/jerk banker dude that would let you access your galat chest even though he is a galat chest banker guy.

Also, I don't think it was as much as an unwise place to build a city as it was more of a 'didn't really plan out the long term effects it would have on the environment' sort of thing. I mean if the volcano wasn't really having a purpose it would be a great city! And would still be standing, in better shape, than it currently does. Now I kind of wonder what fighting ghosts would be like... lol.

Thothie, whats the progress on that crossbow dwarf looking like?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Literally, like this:
cxtdwarf.avi.gif (click for webm)

He's got anims for both regular and steam flavors, but I think I need to add a flinch anim so he can be interrupted. Script itself is pretty far along, but not really tested yet.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Literally, like this:
cxtdwarf.avi.gif (click for webm)

He's got anims for both regular and steam flavors, but I think I need to add a flinch anim so he can be interrupted. Script itself is pretty far along, but not really tested yet.
OMG! I can't wait til I get to play with these guys. :D Will there be a way to control what kind of bolts they use/type of damage they deal?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
At the moment, as I think you requested, they can be set for either poison or explosive. Fairly simple matter to add other types.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Sweet, Is there normal variety type as well? Also, what is their range, like how far they can shoot? I feel like crossbows could shoot further than normal bows, allowing them to essentially to snipe players from across the room.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Easy enough to make piercing variety...

...Xbows shoot via ray trace, so technically the range is unlimited, though I think I have these guys set to not open fire until they are within 2048 units - which is about 1/8th the total available map size. They also mimic inaccuracy by having a slightly random COF - probably no where near 100% accuracy until they are within about 384 units (~32 feet).

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ok, cool. Just making sure the range would be long enough, since the placeholder archers only have a range of 1000 or so. They wouldn't shoot a long enough distance in the final room which was about 1500 units across. So now I am hoping there will be even less of a blind spot for players to hide in. The three different types of damage should be good enough to add some variety to the map, will these guys come with a random version of themselves, like how the normal dwarves script does? So it would auto change what type would spawn with each play through?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Regorty said:
Ok, cool. Just making sure the range would be long enough, since the placeholder archers only have a range of 1000 or so. They wouldn't shoot a long enough distance in the final room which was about 1500 units across. So now I am hoping there will be even less of a blind spot for players to hide in. The three different types of damage should be good enough to add some variety to the map, will these guys come with a random version of themselves, like how the normal dwarves script does? So it would auto change what type would spawn with each play through?
If not defined, they'll choose randomly, however, I'd suggest defining them strategically, rather than letting them go all random, at least in most cases.

Add param is: set_ammo;<explosive|poison|pierce>