[WiP] Frozen_Temple

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Lucifer Majiskus said:
TheOysterHippopotami said:
I do agree that the shrooms are way out of place (and not even that nice looking). Why not make a few ice formation prefabs instead?
Ice doesn't give off light, unless there was a crack in the ceiling... that beamed onto the crystal, which dispersed the light. Which would look fantastic.
neither does water but that doesn't stop it from being a good looking light source in gold source maps.

Neither do crystals and they turned into a major light source in this game. Personally I did like the mushrooms, wish I could turn them into ice-shrooms that would inflict cold damage if you got too close to them, but that's just me and my silly ideas.

As for the light leaking down. It won't work due to this part of the temple being about.. 50-100 ft below the surface of the mountain.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
thats all possible, make a copy of the mushroom. open it in jeds, give it additive, save as ice_shroom.mdl . put trigger_hurt or whatever around it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ceriux said:
thats all possible, make a copy of the mushroom. open it in jeds, give it additive, save as ice_shroom.mdl
No need, env_model has rendering options.

Regotory said:
wish I could turn them into ice-shrooms that would inflict cold damage if you got too close to them, but that's just me and my silly ideas.
BEHOLD MY SHIT MODELING SKILLZ!

spikey_ice_shroom.png
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/spiky_ice_shroom.mdl

Mind ye, that many trigger_hurts be rough on the resources. I suppose ya'd also need some sort of monster clip guide to stop the mobs from walking into them - but still allow players to kick them into the hazard. Really better just to make it very low damage with a long delay between pulses for an 'environmental effect' rather than an actual hazard.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Now i sort of regret mentioning the shrooms on topic. >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya made your spiky ice mushroom bed, and now ya gotta lay in it.

Screen_Shot_2013-12-28_at_9.21.14_PM.png

(Not that we weren't all thinking it.)

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Ya made your spiky ice mushroom bed, and now ya gotta lay in it.

Screen_Shot_2013-12-28_at_9.21.14_PM.png

(Not that we weren't all thinking it.)
I don't think anyone was thinking it, but I do love me some starbound!

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
ceriux said:
thats all possible, make a copy of the mushroom. open it in jeds, give it additive, save as ice_shroom.mdl
No need, env_model has rendering options.

Regotory said:
wish I could turn them into ice-shrooms that would inflict cold damage if you got too close to them, but that's just me and my silly ideas.
BEHOLD MY **** MODELING SKILLZ!

spikey_ice_shroom.png
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/spiky_ice_shroom.mdl

Mind ye, that many trigger_hurts be rough on the resources. I suppose ya'd also need some sort of monster clip guide to stop the mobs from walking into them - but still allow players to kick them into the hazard. Really better just to make it very low damage with a long delay between pulses for an 'environmental effect' rather than an actual hazard.

Hooray! Now instead of having spike pits of doom and I can now have pits of spiky ice shrooms! If the ice don't kill ya, the spiky shrooms will! Mwahahahaha! Thanks Thothie, now to think long and hard about dual lighting, using the crystals for big light sources and shroom as glow in the dark hazards, like the toxic waste from Half Life.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Looks better now, nice! I'm surprised you didn't put shrooms there! /jk :wink:

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
the new ones with the crystals look awesome! the old one made it look like a modern factory great work!

also i really like the shadows on the ceiling by the horizontal pillars/support beams.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
ceriux said:
reg i have to say i think you're a really good mapper.
Buuuuut? Come on I know there's gotta be something you wanted to say!

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Is there a sound pack? like how there are wads and such, but for sounds/ambiance. I would like to know so I could have some extra sounds to work with. And perhaps a few ice crackling sounds?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I usually end up using the various glass sounds in sound/debris. For glacier sounds, there's various rumbling and groaning sounds in sound/ambience. Check your %steampath%\steamapps\common\Half-Life\valve\sound or your HLDS\valve\sound folders. There maybe some other suitable sounds if you dig through there, but if not, you'll have to start digging on the net. Mind you, any sounds you find outside the game will have to be converted to mono 16-bit waves (11khz or 22khz), via Goldwave or the like.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
field-of-shrooms-blacklight-reactive-cloth-wall-hanging.jpg

Seriously though, looks pretty good - just thought I'd preemptively post the shroom army. ;)

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
field-of-shrooms-blacklight-reactive-cloth-wall-hanging.jpg

Seriously though, looks pretty good - just thought I'd preemptively post the shroom army. ;)
If you add a shroom monster that uses the shroom models, I will put one in the map. But I wish there were dead bush models to use, but I only found the dead tree model.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thinking of having a test run in the next day or so. Any one wanna help with that?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What's the issue? :\

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
What's the issue? :\
If you look at the door, I used two different textures: a normal solid one and one with a blue background so you can see through it, however where these two textures meet I get a random null, well more of an invisible, texture that should be the solid metal texture. I took the screenshot staring right at it, like right in the middle of the picture. you can see through the door and right into the floor. Do you see it now?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh, I think I see what you're at... Some of the faces on the grate's frame are not rendering.

This is because they are covered by the brush with the transparent texture. The faces that are flat against it are being discarded for optimization. I'm guessing the whole door or grate was made into a single entity, rather than just the brush with the masked texture. You'll either have to make that frame and gate separate entities (or send the frame to world, assuming the grate doesn't open), or provide a 1 unit gap between the transparent brush and the framework.