[WiP] Frozen_Temple

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Oh, I think I see what you're at... Some of the faces on the grate's frame are not rendering.

This is because they are covered by the brush with the transparent texture. The faces that are flat against it are being discarded for optimization. I'm guessing the whole door or grate was made into a single entity, rather than just the brush with the masked texture. You'll either have to make that frame and gate separate entities (or send the frame to world, assuming the grate doesn't open), or provide a 1 unit gap between the transparent brush and the framework.
It is supposed to be a door. And if I went the 2 entities route and made them both doors, and had them targeted by a lever to open, would that work?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, but the 1 unit gap would be simpler, and easier on the resources / potential issues.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I have implemented the ice shrooms of doom. They emit puffs of blue smoke and cause low amounts of damage over time if you get too close to them. They also emit light.

What they look like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/itdsbxrudb9df ... _00002.jpg

Hope this makes them a bit more fitting to the map and add another hazard to it as well.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Regorty said:
I have implemented the ice shrooms of doom. They emit puffs of blue smoke and cause low amounts of damage over time if you get too close to them. They also emit light.

What they look like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/itdsbxrudb9df ... _00002.jpg

Hope this makes them a bit more fitting to the map and add another hazard to it as well.
If at all possible, I think it would look better with less spikes... make it more sporeadic

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
If at all possible, I think it would look better with less spikes... make it more sporeadic
Well, I didn't make the model so whoever did make would have to make the changes, if they wanted to. Personally I do like it more than what I had before, so I'm happy with how it is.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
Sorry, tis about the height of my modeling abilities right there. :\ Came out better than I expected though. It's chromed, I think, so it'll do that shimmer thing as ya move around it.

What entity ya using for the smoke? env_sprite?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Those spikes could be usefull for something else, maybe make them do heavier damage in meele range? Or have them shoot spikes randomly in the room that will slow down the player (thus leading to trouble if in a fight) and have them emit poison spores at close range as a self defense mechanism? Could even make it so that these shrooms would act on both sides, the player and the enemy. Just for the heck of it. Or have them used as ingredients for something, these are magical shrooms afterall.

Or we could always go for a spiky shroom blunt weapon as a reward. :wink:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
Those spikes could be usefull for something else, maybe make them do heavier damage in meele range? Or have them shoot spikes randomly in the room that will slow down the player (thus leading to trouble if in a fight) and have them emit poison spores at close range as a self defense mechanism? Could even make it so that these shrooms would act on both sides, the player and the enemy. Just for the heck of it. Or have them used as ingredients for something, these are magical shrooms afterall.

I could do the two damage ranges for both the cold damage emitted by the shroom and physical damage if you 'bump' into the spikes. as for shooting spikes, unless it were and actual enemy idk how that would be possible. I kind of thought of the shrooms as more of an unnatural shroom that got mutated by something/someone. As for ingredients, that would be for Thothie to figure out.

Also Thothie, I ended up using the rain_mist, or something close to that, sprite. Since the big smoke one was acting a bit hammer in hammer, the texture wasn't showing up.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
oooh, since it's a squishy mushroom it shouldn't do much blunt damage, but should do HUGE magic damage... one side could do ice damage, other side could do poison. That way we get our poison and ice mauls out in one bang

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Is there a way to activate/deactivate monsterclips? Or perhaps a way for it to only affect certain monsters? I wanted to make it so it'll affect ground creatures but not flying. Since I do have a room with balcony ledges and would have monsters spawning on it later when the player is actual up on them and I don't want them fall, but i do want flying creatures able to fly across.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Some flying mobs already ignore monster clips. You can use the additional parameter, "set_mclip;0" to make any individual mob ignore monster clips.

You can also (as of the last patch) toggle a monsterclip on or off by targeting it.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
How do I add music to play in the map?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's a lot of different ways you can go about that now...

msarea_music causes specific music to play when a player crosses it:
[url=http://www.msremake.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1100:292v14hd]Mapping Tutorial Sticky[/url] said:
sword.gif MS:C Note: msarea_music can now play custom mp3s
brush entity: msarea_music
Properties: special:
"musicname.mp3" "minutes:seconds"
Example, from thornlands:
Code:
 {
"model" "*183" //this cannot be seen from within hammer, it references the brush
"msthornlands_exterior.mp3" "3:00"
"classname" "msarea_music"
}

By default, the mp3 to be played is assumed to be in the msc/music folder-but you can build paths to other folders. Currently only the minutes property is used, so be sure to place at least 1 more minute than your song actually is intended to loop. The new music will only begin to play on players who have touched the entity.

• MP3 cannot contain any ID1/2/3 tags
• MP3 must have a bitrate of 256Kps or less
• MP3 must be sampled at 48000 or 44000 hz
• Must be CBR (no VBR files)
• No spaces or non ASCII chars in the MP3's filename

mstrig_music causes music to play when triggered:

[url=http://www.msremake.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1100:292v14hd]Mapping Tutorial Sticky[/url] said:
sword.gif New for MSC:
point entity: mstrig_music
Properties:
• targetname-plays music to all players when this map event fires
special (as msarea_music)
"musicname.mp3" "minutes:seconds"

In both cases, you have to uncheck Smart Edit to add the music entries - similar to working with a multi_manager.

* The "time" formatting in these may not be correct, it may rather be minutes.fractions, as a float, using a decimal "." rather than a colon ":". Meaning 1.5 = 1 minute 30 seconds. (Yay confusions.)

Now, you can also define "combat" and "idle" music - meaning one track of music will play when the player is targeted by an enemy, and another when no mobs are tracking them and they are just wandering about, as commonly seen in various retail games.

There's a few ways to do this. The simplest, is to use Map->Map Properties in Hammer, and fill out the Idle and Combat music elements accordingly. (Make sure your FGD's are up to date.)

If you wanna get fancy, you can also change the music layout from area to area, by using the scriptevent property on trigger_multiple's, as described in the JAN2013 changelog, or even have specific mobs have their own combat/idle themes via additional parameters:
JAN2013 said:
• Dynamic musak system!
- You can have combat music spin up when monsters spot or attack players, and switch back to idle music when not in combat
- You can change the combat and idle music on an area by area basis with scriptevent triggers, as follows:
- Only affects the player that crosses the trigger
- set_music;<idle_music_mp3>;<idle_music_length>;<combat_music_mp3>;<combat_music_length>;[play_idle_music_now:0|1]
- eg. set_music;d2-cav.mp3;4.5;d2-cav.mp3;4.5;1
- set_idle_music;<idle_music_mp3>;<idle_music_length>;[play_idle_music_now:0|1]
- set_combat_music;<combat_music_mp3>;<combat_music_length>
- There's no "play combat music now" option, as the system will not know when to stop it, however, monsters will play the player's current combat music when they spot or hit them
- You can also set the global default combat/idle music for all players via the gm events, by prefixing any set_music event with "gm_"
- If a player dies, their music will be restored to the global defaults
- When play_idle_music_now flag is set, it should clear the combat music when the player crosses the trigger
- But wait... There's more!
- You can also give specific NPC's specific music scores! Use the following Addparam:
- set_cbm_file;<combat_music_mp3>;set_cbm_length;<combat_music_mp3>
- eg. set_cbm_file;kk_edgen_battle.mp3;set_cbm_length;3.0
- And this mob will play this combat music whenever targeting or damaging a player, fading away after he dies
- So far only shender_east is using this, and it's probably using more variety of music than is sane, as a result, but the system seems to be working *fairly* well
- Though I've seen it get stuck in combat mode a few times - still diagnosing this
- (ToDo: Simplify this by making it a trigger entity.)
• New World Spawn (map) properties (also for the new dynamic music system):
- map_music_idle_file("Idle Music MP3") - default "none"
- map_music_idle_length("Idle Music Length (float)") - default "0"
- map_music_combat_file("Combat Music MP3") - default "none"
- map_music_combat_length("Combat Music Length (float)") - default "0"
- Like msarea_music / mstrig_music, lengths are floats, so 1.5 = 1 minute 30 seconds

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I have gotten pretty much all the triggers for monster spawns in place, but am not entirely sure which monster types I am to go to with. So I guess this is about where I let Oyster take over for populating with appropriate monsters. May need to hold another test run for analysis of the map to figure out how we would go about it. Yay, I can't wait to call this map done!

Side note: silly music won't work for me, I was able to get the default hl1 music to play once, but that was it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, I really wouldn't do that... For one thing, Oyster has more maps to populate than I think he'll ever get done already. For another, well, let's just say I'm not real confident as to his methodology in some instances. This is something every mapper should learn, lest they be at the mercy of fate, and it used to be something every mapper knew how to do. If you can learn to place all this other stuff, you can learn to place mobs.

As for the music, send me the map source, or if you're uncomfortable with that, for some reason, sent me the ripent file, and I'll figure where the flaw is for ye.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Eh, I really wouldn't do that... For one thing, Oyster has more maps to populate than I think he'll ever get done already. For another, well, let's just say I'm not real confident as to his methodology in some instances. This is something every mapper should learn, lest they be at the mercy of fate, and it used to be something every mapper knew how to do. If you can learn to place all this other stuff, you can learn to place mobs.

As for the music, send me the map source, or if you're uncomfortable with that, for some reason, sent me the ripent file, and I'll figure where the flaw is for ye.
Well, for the monsters, I don't really feel comfortable in placing what I think might be right if it ends up not making any sense for those monsters to be in that area, plus I wish there were undead crossbow dwarves.

You just need the RMF, right?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Regorty said:
Well, for the monsters, I don't really feel comfortable in placing what I think might be right if it ends up not making any sense for those monsters to be in that area, plus I wish there were undead crossbow dwarves.
It's your map, you decide what makes sense. If someone disagrees with you, it'll come up with testing, and should they sway you to their way of thinking, you can adjust it, but either way, you'll have a playable map, instead of another paper weight.

Just grab the list yonder, and go crazy. There's also lots of options for tweaking mobs to your own desires.

Regorty said:
You just need the RMF, right?
That'd work. Might wanna rar it up to save upload time.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
That'd work. Might wanna rar it up to save upload time.
Yay, and you can also fix all the other little error thingies that popped up too! Hahahaha!!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Goddamnit... *sigh* Sure, just PM a link or somethin.

If yer getting "empty solid" errors, click "Go to Error", close the error checker, hover over one of the 2D panes, and press delete. Rinse, repeat.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Goddamnit... *sigh* Sure, just PM a link or somethin.

If yer getting "empty solid" errors, click "Go to Error", close the error checker, hover over one of the 2D panes, and press delete. Rinse, repeat.
More like unused keyvalues and one "Solid Entity (func_wall) is empty.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You can ignore unused key values... Has to do with Hammer's screwy FGD syntax, not your fault, and nadda you can do.

"Solid Entity (func_wall) is empty." is an empty solid, and these do have an affect on overhead, so ya better fix'em. Again, click error, click go to error, close problems dialogue, hover over 2D (don't click), and press delete.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I recompiled my map today and tried to run it on my server, but the server crashed saying it couldn't allocate enough memory or something like that. Anyone have any clue on what to do?

I get this error: unhandled exception while allocating memory

then titled as Master Sword Memory Encryption: could not allocate new buffer

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Got a compile log? :\