[WiP] Frost_Temple

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Ok so as I have been working on the ground for the outdoors section of the map. I realized that I could either make the area be like canyon or a cave/pit carved out to the sky. Right now its just 4 walls and I don't know if I should give it a terrain of mountains make it more of a pit with a sky hole in it.

Some screenshots of what the area currently looks like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lb7mw4u2z6sov ... _00001.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc3cn4q29uwf6 ... _00002.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dionyyj898ye ... _00003.jpg

I will make it using the nice and lovely triangle method for either way. So please help me out with this one. Remember, if its a canyon you'll be exposed to the elements more so and may find yourself slowly freezing into an icecube. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's a bit... Ummm...
2db6a7c57e377600cde71dd801fff4c2.gif
- think you can round it out a bit.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I agree with Thothie 100%, although then I wouldn't want to stick my dick in it.

I think it's a win/win

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
It's a bit... Ummm...
2db6a7c57e377600cde71dd801fff4c2.gif
- think you can round it out a bit.
Answer the question or fully read the post! I said that I have not started on the walls yet, that I wanted to know if i should make the room look like its in a cave or in a canyon!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My bad... While a canyon would look better, it is notoriously difficult to influence map design in such a way to draw the player's eyes up, thus it could easily be a wasted effort. The cave would likely eat less resources - though one could fancy it up with some icicles or some such.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I can create it similar to how the Ravine in the Desert Temple map is, use the wall pattern and sculpt it to where it looks more like a dug out hole or open pit. Like it isn't completely natural but still retains its rockiness. I will get started on it and see how well it goes.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Made some lighting tweaks and such to the map. View first post new screenshots and description.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, I guess I finally got the whole Wally thing figured out, for the most part. So now I get to spend time making colder variants of the temple textures, more or less just adding a blue tinge over the existing textures seem to work well enough. Yay, my very first WAD, hopefully I will get better at it and it won't be my last. Now what to name my WAD?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
PostEndingin69NamesMyWad.wad (though that maybe too many characters)

Just remember that you need to save 8-bit BMP, and you'll lose any layers and alpha channels when you convert to that format, so it's best to save a PSD for your personal archive as well. Also check that Photoshop uses the whole palette range - sometimes it doesn't and it causes Wally to flip out when you try to import the resulting BMP, or Half-Life/Hammer to do so when they try to display it. Just enter 256 in the "number of colors" blank dialogue, if it's less than that (don't use 'exact' for images without a lot of colors - use 'perceptual local palette' or what not, as discussed yonder).

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
PostEndingin69NamesMyWad.wad (though that maybe too many characters)

Just remember that you need to save 8-bit BMP, and you'll lose any layers and alpha channels when you convert to that format, so it's best to save a PSD for your personal archive as well. Also check that Photoshop uses the whole palette range - sometimes it doesn't and it causes Wally to flip out when you try to import the resulting BMP, or Half-Life/Hammer to do so when they try to display it. Just enter 256 in the "number of colors" blank dialogue, if it's less than that (don't use 'exact' for images without a lot of colors - use 'perceptual local palette' or what not, as discussed yonder).

Yea I got it using the 256 color range, and I got a texture to fully function in my personal save file for the map. I just went with naming the WAD, Cold_Temple.WAD, Since all I did was take the existing Temple brick and cave textures and add a blue layer to them all.

Side Note:
Also just realized I posted that update in the wrong map thread, man I must have been tired when I posted. :oops:
Well it prolly doesn't matter due to the textures more than likely gonna be used in Frost Temple as well.

Note:
I still need to do a test run on Frost Temple, but no one really has time lately... We need to get on that soon, otherwise I gonna have to start hugging people! :wink:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I can help with testing the map if you really want to. :eek: