[WIP] Badlands

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
And I've been out. I checked on if he was sending it right as I left, so I could only accept and not do much. I will post some pics in just a few minutes :D

Bit of an error with this. After a few seconds of fighting the Djinn, it would come up with an error (Something like no precache for trollidle.wav) So I'll leave it up to Thothie to say "Oh crap I forgot that" or "You're a moron and should stop mapping" :D

These images aren't the best, I was running through the area, trying to screenshots before it crashed some more. >.<

badlandsbeta0000zm1.png

badlandsbeta0001ws8.png

badlandsbeta0002vr8.png

badlandsbeta0003if8.png

badlandsbeta0004tj1.png

Now that I look at them again, they are pretty bad shots >.< Especially the belly shot of the Djinn, but oh well. This is the fire cave leading up to (and in) the fire djinn's chamber. It will be full of fire giants who will make the single path jump course like floor a real challenge, especially when they fling you. Fling you good.

Off to bed with me!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just looking at those screenshots, I hate you already. ;)

(Something like no precache for trollidle.wav) So I'll leave it up to Thothie to say "Oh crap I forgot that" or "You're a moron and should stop mapping"

More likely the former than the latter. Monsters summoning other monsters causes cashie precache issues sometimes.

As a temporary fix: put a monsters/troll_fire somewhere on your map (can be in a box someplace, dun mattah). That'll take care of the precache so you can test the map until I get the permanent fix out, at least.

It's annoying as hell, there's a function called precachefile that actually just precaches all the media in an associated script - but it only goes off at run time, which causes a "precache functions can only be used in spawn" error or some such. As such, it seems I have to precache each and every file the damn monster uses individually. :evil: [/rant]

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Actually, how the end area is depends on one thing: Does he shoot fire balls?

If he does, I'm going to put some ledges in so that it isn't AS bad, but if he doesn't....Well...Hate me >: D

I'll try that ASAP Thothie, thanks.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Oh, and on a second note JM: I decided yesterday that I was going to be nice/unrealistic. Rather than putting a killzone in the lava, I'm going to use the "true way" to make lava. Since it was originally for games that DON'T involve 100+ hp, I believe it only does 100 per second or so (I accidentally tested this awhile back). This gives players a chance to hop out of the lava and not die instantly

Also, if you hate me for this, you'll hate me even more for telling you that it isn't exactly a short walk to him. You have to go through the entire cave to get to him if you die :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the lava texture doesn't do damage by itself, it's the 'content' (skin) in func_water that does the massive lava damage.

If you put a trigger_hurt there and don't use the lava content on the func_water, you can control the level of damage. (instead of "hot lava" you can have "luke-warm" lava). ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Actually, I was just going to do it the Entmod way, but both do the same thing, really.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
valsulgw4.png

Val-Sul. Think you can handle him?

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
yes... becuase when i was on the map when you where testing it, the lava only did 137 dmg a second! and... im a coward and will let everyone die before me so i can make the last heroic strike

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
If you'd like, I can make the lava an instakill. But he's hard to kill as it is. I died about 5-6 times before I could solo him, and I'm level 37 with 32 sword (+Ice blade)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Couldn't hardly get near him using the frontal assault method with my 675hp test character on the test map - although I made him a bit harder to reach there.... still, that was before MiB asked me to make him even meaner.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
My char > the Djinn. He's plenty possible (If you know how to work the Ice Blade, or you're in a group)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
reworking map layout to comply more to the hl1 engine, also on hold until finished with foutpost/bloodrose

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
N-N-N-N-N-N-NECRO POST

Squirrel is starting work on it again, soon. That is, unless he starts snakes_on_a_plain ([stab_Thothie])

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i think snakes_on_a_plain would be far too open...just wouldn't work :\

but ah.......yeah.........i'll get to this eventually, busy right now.