[WIP] Badlands

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Badlands is on of the many maps that Squirrel and I are working on right now. It is essentially the high level version of badlands. Thus far, it is a charred region due to previous invasions (before the Outpost was built) and the volcanic plateau that had been dormant until recently. While not spreading lava and ash everywhere, the fires that it has created have stopped the land from being able to grow anything.

Perhaps though, there is a cause for the sudden volcanic nature of the once dormant plateau. It is your job to find out what could be behind it, or just wander around aimlessly until you find transition zones to other places.

Things needed for later use:
Script and "model" for a fire giant/troll (really I just need the script and a reskinning or something of the ice djinn's Ice Troll)

Screen shots:
After the first day of working on this:
badlandsbirdseye1vz8.png

(Note: The blue things you see are towers of water, which I use to get on top of cliffs and such. I'm too lazy to make ladders for a temporary use like this :D)

Val-Sul's chamber
valsulgw4.png

Val-Sul. Think you can handle him?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Was planning to do a Fire Djinn eventually anyways...

Meanwhile some scripts you may find handy:

traps/volcano - as seen in Calruin2
traps/fire_wall - originally used in Calruin2 instead of shield wall - but turns out 4 firewalls + volcano = insane lag, who knew? :p
monsters/firegiantghoul - designed to toss players into lava hazards (see http://www.thothie.com/ms/msc_firegiant.bsp for demo)
monsters/firegiantghoul_greater - " " >hp >damage
monsters/firegiantghoul_lesser - " " <hp <damage
and of course
monsters/orc_shaman_fire
monsters/orc_shaman_fire_turret - (Im not sure if 'turret is in the July16th release - but same as regular fire shamman, but don't move)

Other pending scripts you may find useful:
monsters/fire_lizzard - the cheesyness of this red T-Rex model has made me hesitant to implement it (although the model looks good, the Jarrasic Park syndrome is a bit much)
monsters/elemental_fire
monsters/gelemental_fire
monsters/golem_lava
monsters/orc_shaman_fire_elder
(sadly, none of that last set is written up yet - but the models are ready)

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
O_O Holy....Well thanks for all those. And JM, it IS damn sexy. :D I'll post more screenies tonight, probably, but the problem is that right now all of those cliffs are at the same height and there are no caves yet. I was just getting all of the primitives (Or most because players will be able to get on top of the cliffs, so I'll need higher cliffs around the edges of the map).

Here's hoping the caves go well >_> I'm going to try to do them without carving, but that's gonna be really difficult >_>

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
sounds very very interesting...if this turns out good it shud go official...would be cool with another wilderness map...

ive been too busy to fix my map currently... but it aint anything too special...
it was just an ice passage from thornlands to the daragoth tundras

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I love it already. :)
Oh and it's nice to see my elemental models will be making it into the game eventually. The fire elemental has potential for this area, definitely.

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Heheheh...Take THAT Squirrel! Lanethan likes mine :D

Well, no more screenies to post right now, mostly what I've done since then is working on making caves, which are harder than hell :'(

My current plan is to wait until whenever Thothie makes the fire djinn and make him the big boss in the map. With things that I have planned, people are going to hate me. It's going to be much harder to kill the Fire Djinn (based solely on the terrain, not even taking into account if he actually is tougher) than the Ice Djinn (And for those who say killing the Ice Djinn is easy, try doing it without any spells or potions)

Is there any way to makea volcano that only spews every once in awhile and dies when the Fire Djinn does?

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'll kill you.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Highest damage: 600.5 with the Dark Maul on an Ice Troll with Blunt Arms 27

Unlike the Ice Troll - he doesn't have the fire vulnerability so you can't thwack him dead quite so easily. ;)

My current plan is to wait until whenever Thothie makes the fire djinn and make him the big boss in the map.

Assuming I don't get kidnapped again, I can probably have a working Fire Djinn done today - weekends have a high probability of kidnapping though.

I'm trying to keep the beta-package size to a minimum though, so I'll probably send you a test.dll together with a new model (either Fire Elemental, or Fire Troll) - rather than expand on the package size with models not currently used in game.

I'd kind of like to have it so he doesn’t' summon his pets inside himself, and instead have him fire a map event, that you can use to trigger fire elemental spawns, but I dunno if that would require you to re-think your boss-room (you'd have to add some new monster spawners, probably with tigger_push'ers). If so, I can have him function just like the Ice Djinn, I suppose.

Is there any way to makea volcano that only spews every once in awhile and dies when the Fire Djinn does?

Well, it'd kill my idea of giving the Fire Djinn his own volcano spell - but you can use a looped multi_manager that triggers the traps/volcano spawn area every minute or so (use the multi-threaded flag). Then use killtarget via trigger_relay to remove the volcano when the Fire Djinn's death event is fired. (Remember: Killtarget from an msmonster fires an event when a monster dies, while Killtarget from a trigger_relay removes the targeted entity.) You *may* have to give the volcano limited lives (like 999) to ensure it'll respawn repeatedly. (Had this issue on a test map)

One issue is that monsters, by default, run from Volcano traps, and this would include the Fire Djinn / Elementals / Trolls. ..It might be possible to cause fire-immune monsters to ignore the 'danger sound' of the volcano or if not that, to make a seperate volcano trap that generates no such danger sound..

I wonder if anyone is going to make any non-insanely high level maps. :)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I can't promise I won't have men come kidnap you...Er..That's not what you meant...

The level of the player isn't what makes the Djinn hard to kill. I'm going to go with my original plan for the boss chamber, which makes it tougher than anything else. Players will have to dance around on small patches of land, avoididng lava (I'd say 25% land, 75% lava), all while fighting the Djinn. I'm assuming that the Djinn will have a "throw" attack, thus making it very hard to keep at him without magic, and since the Ice Djinn proved not to be SLOW (compared to the BS), it will make it hard to run (as the lava is monster clipped so he can run along it). Take THAT cowards who run!

The volcano is actually on top of the cave where the Djinn will be, so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't let anything my map has affect what you're doing, I'll adjust to you, not the other way around. The volcano on top was just a way of protecting a chest and making the map seem more Fire-related

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmm... Well, current incarnation of the Fire Djinn works almost exactly like the Ice Djinn, except he has more HP, more damage, fire immunity, %fire damage on hit, and summons Fire Trolls (or 'Efritti' as I'm currently calling them) which are as unto Ice Trolls as he is unto the Ice Djinn. Just as the Ice Djinn he does have an occasional throw attack.

I should warn you, a complex network of monster clips will fubarb the mind of most monsters - particularly one this large... Now if you put the monster clips OVER the lavapits - ie. Fire Djinn can walk on lava - then you should be okay... Although, there's the technical issue, that if the Fire Djinn drops anything when he dies, it may fall into the lava. (Actually, it shouldn't fall in - it should be blocked by the monsterclip too - but a player may have to jump into the lava to get the item.)

This incarnation of the Fire Djinn is ready to go, and I'll send you the sc.dll and required fire troll model. I've still not gotten around to doing the greater/lesser elementals yet. I do want to do more to the Fire Djinn, but you can use this script/model to test your map, surely.

I'm not sure if you can control the direction of the volcano's spew by positioning it - but if you've got it up high in the room and on top of something, the monsters below may not get caught in the 'fear radius' it generates. Tell me if they do though, and I'll make traps/volcano_nofear or some such.

I'll get you your own chest of fire oriented stuff. Sending out a PM in few mins...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Technically, it's Ifrite/Ifriti - but I'm trying to stay away from the original Arabic for the same reason I don't have a turban headed monster named "Cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad" :p

I think the classic D&D spelling is Efreet/i though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Efreeti plural - Efreet singular. ...or is it the other way around? :roll:

Although they were pretty mean, so I think back when I played the plural for Efreet was usually "Oh sh****t!" ;)
...save for when they were in a wish giving mood, which was almost worse.

Suffice to say I'll switch it to Efreeti in next patch release.

efreeti.jpg

I wish I could make my Efreet look more like this:
artgallery_efreeti.jpg
*sigh* Maybe in Source. ;)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
no its the 1.4 troll...
1.3 troll has a vest

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
its just the 1.4 troll recolored...
the 1.4 troll was a reskin ... its the skin icetroll uses(of course it wastn blue)
so its not the real 1.3 troll

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hm... Efreet have like... unlimited power just about :D
You should make a boss/dynamic-quest thing with this Efreet, two ways to beat it. One way frees it, making pure evil, the other kills it; making something good happen :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Traditionally Djinn > Ifriti, but I think in D&D Efreet are simply fire variants of the Air based Djinn.

The Fire Djinn just summons Efreet to keep with the theme, and it sounds bit better than 'Fire Troll'.

There's a bit more reskinning on the model than the color change, but true, not much more. Save some fire tatoos, gauntlets...
ice_face.gif fire_face.gif
...and the face.

Suffice to say my reskinning skills are minimal, but I've not got too many other volunteers.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
As noted on another thread, I *have* begun work on badlands again. The fire cave is nearly complete. About 95% of it is lava so people are going to hate me :D

I'd say that (If squirrel sends me the rar of badlands on his comp while I was there today soon enough) I should have the fire cave finished by tonight or tomorrow. After that, there's one more "secret" thing to do, then it's just adding in monsters, lighting, and other script thingies. (Oh and making transition zones that *Gasp* aren't just black walls. They actually look like a path to the next place :O )

That's it for now. As soon as Squirrel sends the rar, I'll post a pic or 2 of the current fire cave.

--PIE--