The Parry problem- And how to fix it easily

Gandalf the Grey

New Adventurer
Reaction score
One important thing id like to ask.... Whats gonna happen to the Wizard title? *gasp* :O Cause Ive been working towards it for a while, and i would hate for it to go to waste. Could you perhaps put it in the Blunt+ Sc slot?

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Titles will no longer be based on skills (parry or otherwise) under the new title system. You will be titled "Adventurer" until you choose a specific title, with specific functions and various levels of specialization based on your desired role, rather than what weapons you happen to use the most.

Earlier in the thread...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Pick One

But yes, you are wasting your time. Anytime you spend effort in limiting yourself just to change a few letters after your name in game, you are wasting your time, as, for the moment, titles mean that and nothing else. This way, at least, your title means something, other than simply that you've wasted time.

(Although, TBH, "Wizard" will probably be a bottom tier title.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... Piercing + Poison dmg bonus? Gonna need something to help him with undeadz though... Maybe bonus vs. monsters not facing him - trixtie, but possible me thinks. Maybe HP penalty and/or speed+ in light armor. Offensive class.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'd still like to see some sort of Monk title.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MA+, speed+ in light (or speed+ naked, plus some sort of damage reduct by level or unique spell), HP-, Melee restrict (prob only specific weapons), some sort of special dimmak Title feature attack. Offensive class.

Plus the brawler defensive class discussed elsewhere, for the "heavy" monk. ;)

Could do death monk variants (venom claws as a title feature), life monk variants (lend life and various divine magic bonus, support class), fire/cold variants, shape shifter variants, yadda yadda yadda...

Chart of Dreams was just a series of examples I came up with off the top of my head, purely for demonstration of concept.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I have to say Thothie, the title system you have in mind sounds wonderful to me :wink:

StrikerAY

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My only fear of losing parry is the loss of mana. Currently, mana can only be gained by parry and spell casting, and SC takes forever to level up. When the title system does come out, I hope this is taken into consideration.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
We already have worked out how to compensate Health and Mana when parry is dropped.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
We already have worked out how to compensate Health and Mana when parry is dropped.
You mean we won't lose all of the bonuses we previously gained from parry? I assumed we would lose them and have to train them back up with the new polearms skill.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
So with the title update everyone's mana/hp will be recalculated?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
The Man In Black said:
You mean we won't lose all of the bonuses we previously gained from parry? I assumed we would lose them and have to train them back up with the new polearms skill.
Having polearms train mana would not be logical at all.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Having polearms train mana would not be logical at all.
I guess I don't actually remember what parry trains and how much. How much mana do you actually gain from parry? And do you ever gain Str or anything else from parry?

It would make most sense to me for us to lose all of our mana bonuses from parry and have those bonuses redistributed in spell casting. Will we be losing nothing after parry is changed to polearms?

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Parry trains wisdom, +1 wisdom per 2 parry level (same as spell casting)
Wisdom grants +2 hp and +10 mp per point.
So if your parry is at 40, that makes 40 hp and 200 mp from it

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
HumanSteak said:
Parry trains wisdom, +1 wisdom per 2 parry level (same as spell casting)
Wisdom grants +2 hp and +10 mp per point.
So if your parry is at 40, that makes 40 hp and 200 mp from it

I think you get a bit more than 1/2 a wisdom point from each SC level, otherwise you'd have (40 * 5) + (28 * 5) = 200 + 140 = 340 mana instead of 420 mana.

(It actually seems to be closer to ~0.8 wisdom per sc level. 220[Mana not from parry]/10[mana per wisdom] = 22, 22/27[28 SC does not give a wisdom increase, so 27 is used] = ~.8[Wisdom per SC level])

200 mp from 40 parry seems about right though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ye old code:
Code:
		case NATURAL_WIS:
			return (1+GetSkillStat(SKILL_PARRY) /2 +
					GetSkillStat(SKILL_SPELLCASTING) *0.75);	 //Thothie - switching so SC counts for more than parry

Idea is to spread parry evenly among the existing stats, and add a little bit extra, to ensure no one loses any stats with the parry change and most make minor gains. Similar to what we did when we changed how Parry counted for SC, and gave nearly everyone a 10%-30% mana boost as a result.

(Parry currently counts for Fitness, Awareness, Concentration, and Wisdom.)

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Is there any chance SC could beable to compete with other skills in level? Currently it seems much harder to level SC over any melee (I'm not asking for it to be easier, just wondering why it levels so different)

I believe the formula for SC is (all SC skills sum) add 2 and then divide by 7 then round up if there is a decimal, so someone who gets 30 in all 5 elements would only be 22 SC which is much slower then only needing 3 things in swords to be 30 to have 30 swordsmanship.

I'm sure there is some form of balance that I don't understand, but it makes it a little bit harder to get wizard mood on for me when I could just pick up my bludgeon.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Magic system is pretty messed up right now. We intend to overhaul for balance and ease of adding more spells later.