The Name Game...

TheMasterSword

New Adventurer
Reaction score
What is up with the naming of characters in this game? I named one character, but all three characters go by the same name. I can change the name in the default HL options menu, but it does not carry over to the game world. To me a name means a lot. It defines who you are when you role play. It irks me that I have one female character with a truly male sounding name, not to mention I would of liked to of manually named my dwarf a more dwarfish one as well.

Now in game it says for 100 gold starting, and it increases with each request, you can change your name. But that seems a bit ridiculous as there was no warning I was going to be stuck with one name for all characters, before I named him/them. Even deleting the original character before I even created the others, my name was still stuck. Had I of known this I would of used a name that could of encompassed both genders and races.

Is there anyway to do a system wide change for this? Is this an MSC issue or an FN server one? Surely I can not be the only one with a naming grievance. Granted it is small potatoes to some other issues with the game, or so I have been hearing, but again you are known by your name.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Never heard of this problem before.

Do NOT make a dwarf character. I advise you delete this character now, dwarves are broken and its an unintended bug that they are selectable in character creation.

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Indeed, if you don't - it'll have some serious reprecussions, involving corruption of said characters and maybe perhaps all the time you've spent on it, and other of the three aswell.

TheMasterSword

New Adventurer
Reaction score
An unintended bug... why not take it out entirely then? o_O I rather like my dwarf character minus the name I gave him. And I remember back in the day we had only one race and gender... well two genders, but they were twins. :p

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
We have been waiting years for it to be taken out. Just please don't use dwarves, and make sure to inform anyone else to not use dwarf characters. You can tell when someone has chosen a dwarf character when their nametag lacks "Friendly/Wary/Hostile/Deadly" below their name.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not sure how you ended up with the same name on all characters (might be Dwarf related, but not sure)... Should get a new blank for each created.

If you type name "Your name here", in console, before you join a server, then make a new character, it might adopt that name, even then, whatever ya enter in the blank should override. (That's the blank in the upper left on the character creation screen, not the one in game options.)

...and in regards to the dwarf bug, among others, yes, we are quite overdue for a patch.

TheMasterSword

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I see the problem, but then found another... Apparently the very first name you choose is simple since the invisible cursor is there ready and waiting. When I make two consecutive characters the name is no longer highlighted and is automatically what the first name was. I had backspaced and even clicked on the old name, but nothing happened. So I had continued making my characters all with the same name. Now I have deleted all of them and retried again and noticed the same thing, even when I had not chosen a dwarf. I have to click on the "name" "button" (?) to start the process and it is slightly visibly highlighted, but far from a blinking cursor.

Regardless for some reason my game crashed like seven times in a row when I was trying to make my three characters. I am not sure if it was the server or the game itself. It would just crash during the naming of the characters which means it had nothing to do with choosing a dwarf because I saved that for last and could not get that far for a while.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yeah the game likes to crash in the character creation screen, my tip is to think of everything before starting the creation. Name, gender and class. Then do all of that quickly to minimize chances of crashing.