Suggestion Thread

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Okay, maybe it is, but let's just wait with everything concerning the subject until Thothie makes clear what he wants.

Now:
1 player: spawnchance for item X = 2%
n players: spawnchance for item X = 2%

Thothie's future (the BAD variant):
1 player: spawnchance for item X = (2 / n) %
n players: spawnchance for item X = 2%

Thothie's future (the GOOD variant):
1 player: spawnchance for item X = 2%
n players: spawnchance for item X = (2 * n) %

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It varies with the item involved, and it's generally more generous than 2% per player (closer to 5%) but I intend to set it up so certain items require multiple players present. So in short, it's the worst of both worlds. ;)

If this is about bots, bot players do not detect as players by the MSC script player counter. They have to spawn and have the script backbone attached to them.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I intend to set it up so certain items require multiple players present.
Can this part be translated to:
"For soloers, some items will be absolutely impossible to get."

If so, don't you think you should ask the community first before implementing such a system? Not everybody feels like farming for rare items with other players.

What I'm saying is, I've asked several people yesterday what they think of your new idea, and the general opinion was "that's lame" and "o_O" and "I don't want to farm in public, screw that", which also reflects what I think of this idea of yours. I'm quite sure that if I were to start a poll on this, the majority of people would say "That is a shit idea", so that's why I'm saying you should ask the community what they think about this idea.

Edit: And you still didn't really answer my previous question. Will the base spawn chances of all of the rare items, except those that will require more players, stay the same ("the GOOD idea")?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Trying to do everything possible to discourage solo'ers, and small, passworded servers, short of removing the password option and the ability to play on LAN. - Which is tempting.

Thothie's_Skool_of_Redundancy said:
things will be more common based on the number of players present
Meaning, more common than they are now, in case that wasn't clear. Thought I answered the question before it was asked. ...and not just the rare items, but basic treasure, as well, will be affected.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Trying to do everything possible to discourage solo'ers, and small, passworded servers, short of removing the password option and the ability to play on LAN. - Which is tempting.

Yeah, we'd hate to have people not be able to play by themselves or with a choice group of friends. I was talking to J-M about this and I guess it needs to be posted here.

Stop trying to make the game into "group-only"! Have You ever considered that maybe some of us don't LIKE to play with other people or CAN'T play with other people? Maybe you've never played on a server with a lot of people when there's loot to be had. It always ends up the same:

"Well, he's dead.. F*CK EVERYONE I'M GOING TO RUSH THE CHEST NOW AND STEAL THE GOOD PRIZE EVEN THOUGH OTHER PEOPLE STARTED THE MAP LOOKING FOR ITEMS AND I DID BARELY ANYTHING"

"HEY, NOW THAT I'M IN THE CHEST, I MAY AS WELL GRAB AN ITEM AND SPAM E SO THAT I CAN BE IN THE CHEST AGAIN!"

Pretty much everyone I've played with is a greedy bastard, and if I'm going to be doing the majority of the work, I'd like to be able to look for the item I'm after. If I don't find the item I want, I take a health pot and a mana pot to heal myself after the battle and THAT'S ALL. But then there's the people who horde all the rares. A great example is Black Archer Halo_Blue (or whatever the hell his name is..). He comes into servers and constantly brags that he has 3 GiBs (and some other group of items that I forget). I honestly don't think that he got all of those by being a fair teammate to the people he was playing with.

I suppose that's what it all comes down to, though. Teamwork. I have no problem playing on servers where everyone is talking, having a good time, helping eachother out when people yell 'help', etc. But the servers with all the chest humpers get incredibly old, and that's the majority of the servers now. I play on my own server because it's not laggy (a LOT of servers are laggy for me, partially because of my bad internet), I can go to maps that I want without having to wait 5 minutes after map completion to say "OMG WER 2 NOW?", and quite frankly, with the crappy monster exp, I can't get any good training without being by myself on a high level map (series).

[/rambling]

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i have to agree. i thought this mod was Single-Player/Multi-Player. it's nice getting people to play together but it should not be done by force.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
But then there's the people who horde all the rares. A great example is

90% of GoW?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, why we are in the process of discouraging solo'ers, we are also in the process of circumventing looting. Outpost Supervisor teleports anyone near him with an orc head to the warboss spawn when the warboss dies, for instance. Gold spreads, chests spreads. Working on chests that give one item to each player, etc. etc.

But I've no interest in working on a single player game, for I have no interests in single player games.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I had a suggestion for the chests humpers some... time ago. I suggested that when someone uses the chest he couldn't use it again for a few seconds after once an item was removed.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think this was suggested already, but I don't know what the response was..

Can you set it up so that the person who did the most damage gets the rarest item (or first look) and go down the line like that?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Don't think I have a method to stop a certain player from using the chest, although I could stop it from offering the store, in which case, he'd just see an empty chest.

It's already true though, you can only remove 1 item at a time. If ya got 5 players humping a chest, its a matter of whoever clicks fastest.

I'm considering editing foutpost, and have that tower go down a ladder into a room with a few chests spread about containing the current loot between them. But everyone would have to re-DL.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Is it possible to ripent in chests and ripent out boxes in the armory? I think you'd have enough room for a few chests without the crates and such in there.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's a pretty small room IIRC. If the boxes are func_walls I can ripent them out, but there needs to be enough space between the chests that you can't reach them from one another.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think you can probably fit 3 along the wall, dunno about the wallhack, though. Why do they need to be spaced out that much?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
One looter player would, presumably, just rotate and click on all the chests he could reach to pick out the best item. Tis less tempting to do if he actually has to walk between the chests and risks someone getting to his first. But tis true, tis a simpler partial solution, at least.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I'm still against you making certain items require multiple players present. You mentioned that you're not interested in working on a single player game, well guess what: these changes to the spawn system are only taking time/effort, so you might as well leave the single player elements in it (functionally) and realize that you are actually working on a multiplayer modification.

Why don't you ask the community what they think (read: Thothie, this is a shit idea) and use your creativity for amazing updates like those of the past?

I have yet to figure out the reason why you would want to discourage soloers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
I'm still against you making certain items require multiple players present. You mentioned that you're not interested in working on a single player game, well guess what: these changes to the spawn system are only taking time/effort, so you might as well leave the single player elements in it (functionally) and realize that you are actually working on a multiplayer modification.

Why don't you ask the community what they think (read: Thothie, this is a **** idea) and use your creativity for amazing updates like those of the past?

Same reason we have the "omfg impossible" bosses (sans money sploits): want less single player "servers" and more multi-player servers. Force people to work together, one way or the other.

Frankly, if the game doesn't start moving in that direction I ain't working on it anymore, so I'm not bothering to ask. If you want a good single-player RPG experience: go play oblivion.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
J-M v2.5.5 said:

Why don't you ask the community what they think (read: Thothie, this is a **** idea) and use your creativity for amazing updates like those of the past?

Same reason we have the "omfg impossible" bosses (sans money sploits): want less single player "servers" and more multi-player servers. Force people to work together, one way or the other.

Frankly, if the game doesn't start moving in that direction I ain't working on it anymore, so I'm not bothering to ask. If you want a good single-player RPG experience: go play oblivion.

The game should be friendly to BOTH singleplayer people and multiplayer people

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've been considering making a single player variant, with characters that can't be ported to FN, for sake of nostalgia if/when Steam betrays us fatally, however, it is low priority, and I wouldn't dedicate much time to it.

My #1 complaint when I first joined these new MS forums was this game was, basically, being designed in such a way as to discourage multi-player gaming. I've dedicated my time here to undoing that. This started well before I even got the scripts and hard code, just with the spawn anywhere maps I let loose everywhere (actually predates MSC). Given the way the servers have been looking lately (tons of tiny pass-worded servers, outnumbering real servers 3 to 1), its time to accelerate that goal: punish looters, reward team work, make loners socialize.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I've been considering making a single player variant, with characters that can't be ported to FN, for sake of nostalgia if/when Steam betrays us fatally, however, it is low priority, and I wouldn't dedicate much time to it.

My #1 complaint when I first joined these new MS forums was this game was, basically, being designed in such a way as to discourage multi-player gaming. I've dedicated my time here to undoing that. This started well before I even got the scripts and hard code, just with the spawn anywhere maps I let loose everywhere (actually predates MSC). Given the way the servers have been looking lately (tons of tiny pass-worded servers, outnumbering real servers 3 to 1), its time to accelerate that goal.

yeah but singleplayer should still be possible.
multiplayer should be encouraged but singleplayer should not be forgotten

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
1: Alright, I can finally use [insert powerful weapon]! I can solo the map it's on and try to get it, but Thothie had to make it so that it's impossible to get it by myself.. Well, I guess I'll just look for some other servers where people are playing the map!

[Join server 1]

1: Hey guys, how's it going? I'm here looking for [weapon], because Thothie made it so I can't get it by myself..

2: Well, f*ck you, no calling. All 4 of us are already looking for it, so you're going to have to wait for all of us to get it first!

1: But the map takes half an hour to go through, this will take forever :(. I guess I'll try a different server...

[Join server 2]

1: Hey, can we go look for [weapon]?

2: Yeah, sure. We'll go as soon as we're done in helena

(changelevel helena)

(a few minutes pass)

1: Are we done here yet?

2: Hang on, I'm changing out items in the bank

(Bandits have raided helena!)

2: Oh, let's kill them all!

(time passes)

2: Hey guys, I'm going to climb on top of the inn!

1: Are we done yet?

2: No, I never got to finish swapping items out. We have to reload the map now.

1: *Sigh*, alright

(changelevel helena)

2: Ok, I got my items, I have to sell things now

1: I'm going to find another server.

[Join server 3]

1: Hey, are you here looking for [weapon]?

2: Yeah! I'll get it first, then we can try to get it for you, k?

1: Sounds good :)

(time passes)

2: Well, we finally beat it, but it's not in the chest :(

1: Well, let's try it again

(reload)

2: I think he's just about dead..

(Joins: random noob)

3: HEY GUYS! I call [weapon]!

3: Oh cool, you guys killed him and [weapon] is here! ill c u all l8r!

(disconnects)

1: ...

(reload)

2: Alright, I got mine :D, but I have to go now, so you'll have to find your yourself

1: There are no more servers with people high levelled enough, doing the map, or who are willing to share when I do the work.

2: Sorry =\ kthxbai!

(disconnects)

======================================

I hope you all enjoyed the dramatization of what's to come of MS:C.