Suggestion Thread

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I made this thread to give ideas what to improve or possibly spice up the game. Opinions would be great and suggestions of your own would be awesome.

Monsters:

NEW-Dewm plants: Okay, I know I sound obsessed with them, but I just had a thought. How awesome it would be to find them in Thornlands and the Scary Forest? Not the dewm trees, that'd be ridiculous, but just the melee ranged one, to limit routes/paths and to caution low-levels that this area is much harder than you think. Idk, I just love that "You can't cross until you're ready" idea. :)

-Veneficus Aracunidia(sp?): Being that he's nearly the same as Timidus Textor with more hp, he could have some kinda acid spray, doing constant damage if you stay within it's range. (Especially now since it's possible)

-Virus Consputo: They're practically the same as the green spiders in thornlands. Maybe could have the same acid spray as I suggested for Veneficus?

--------------------------------------

Weapons:

NEW-Lightning element bow:

A) Shoots an instant-hit "arrow" (much like the crossbows) dealing lightning damage. Would use mana. A lightning effect from tip of the arrow on the bow to the surface of intended target would be sweet (Not the ugly wiggly lightning effect if possible).

B) Shoots a small, fast moving ball (like the Orion bow, but preferably using a sprite [imagine an alien controller attack]) that shocks the enemy within it's range. Would use mana obviously. Draw back charge could either: 1) slow down the ball OR home in on its targets better to shock the same target multiple times before fading due to attack limit/hitting a surface. 2) Make the ball last longer and having a longer zap range before fading, to attack multiple targets in its path. 3) Zap faster to obviously hit the same target more before leaving it's range/fading.

Spells:

NEW-Longer lasting shield: Could take on the form of a different element, trading current percent protection OR a higher mana cost for an extended length of protection.

NEW-A lightning shield: Instead of offering literal protection, it gives you the chance to dodge attacks. It would simply act like any hand-held shield and would randomly at ~20% chance "deflect" an attack, but instead of saying deflected, it would say "dodged."

Armor:

Other stuff:

NEW-Weather/effects: I wanted to mostly know your opinions on this one.

I think the fog and time of day shouldn't be changeable. I can understand the weather because that can become annoying. But during a boss-fight and the black fog was activated, it probably happened to limit your view and make the fight more "epic." Not to mention add atmosphere

Since the night time was, I guess you can say fixed (Light sources actually improve your vision), there's no reason to have the option to turn it off; client-sided or not. (Seeing everyone turn on their glow because it's getting dark would make me feel more like I'm playing with other players rather than just rushing through another map just to get to the end.)

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Re: Suggestion Threads

villager said:
(example: You can only pickup a flamelick if your smallarms lvl is 15 or higher).

its level 20 small arms because i'm level 18 small arms and i can't use my flamelick

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Re: Suggestion Threads

WeissberV said:
villager said:
(example: You can only pickup a flamelick if your smallarms lvl is 15 or higher).

its level 20 small arms because i'm level 18 small arms and i can't use my flamelick

eh... I don't care what it is, it was an example.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I forget if this is the 3rd of 4th suggestion thread. No matter, I love suggestions.

My suggestion is to go everywhere you can think of and try to recruit some coders. Give thothie a break.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, but most get scared of the code.

pimpsta

New Adventurer
God of War
Reaction score
Thothie sent me the codes and it didn't scared me. I find it very odd when there are 5 script that function for one thing. I can code for thothie but I don't have the time right now. I have told Thothie when I get internet again. I will rewrite the codes for him. Also Humming Bird is a coder but he is working on AMXX right now. He would rather finish the AMXX first then "maybe" jump into coding.

There are over 150 script that need to be narrow down or delete. I have already seen the changed for June and it looks a lot better. But still needs some modify on certain things. Thothie is getting there

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Give thothie a break? These suggestions are like... 100x easier than asking him to redo the spells and add a new element. :\

pimpsta

New Adventurer
God of War
Reaction score
villager said:
Give thothie a break? These suggestions are like... 100x easier than asking him to redo the spells and add a new element. :\

That wouldn't be easier for him or any coders to do. It is that they have to write a whole new code for each spells. Thats even more work. I believe that thothie is more concern about getting the bugs out than adding more codes into it. Best thing for a coder to do first is get the issue fix then they can move to the next step. I don't know if Orochi is coding too. There are probably only 2 active coder. I know if humming bird step in to help and that would be a better accomplish.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Seriously, Thothie himself should ask coders in the MSC section in MODDB

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
pimpsta said:
villager said:

That wouldn't be easier for him or any coders to do. It is that they have to write a whole new code for each spells. Thats even more work. I believe that thothie is more concern about getting the bugs out than adding more codes into it. Best thing for a coder to do first is get the issue fix then they can move to the next step. I don't know if Orochi is coding too. There are probably only 2 active coder. I know if humming bird step in to help and that would be a better accomplish.

...What? I just said that redoing spells wouldn't be easier... Most of my suggestions really don't require a lot of coding. And like Thothie said (And I'm not quoting him exactly.) Every bug fixed, 10 more pop up.

pimpsta

New Adventurer
God of War
Reaction score
-sigh-

There are over 30 things that is on the scratch pad that thothie needs help on AND to be done. I am seeing over 50 things on the notepad and only 14 of them are done. I am pretty sure if you give him suggestions, it would give him ideas for the next month patch. I am not saying he will ignore the suggestion. I am not saying that your suggestion is a bad idea. I am just saying that it is more work for him to do. It won't be done over night or within a week. Eventually it will get done.

Huge Bears
He would just have to change the numbers of health - easy

Timidus Textor
New animation would required.

Veneficus Aracunidia
easy

Virus Consputo
easy

scorpions
Someone should make a desert map perhaps?

fire arrows
They don't have a range of "light up" dark place. but I am sure there is a reason for that.

Divination
That wouldn't be easy if there are 7 files for him to do. It got me confusing and its confusing for Thothie too as well. I am sure if that script is rewrite then that could be included.

Mongol armor
similar to phoenix armor but different affection and ratio - easy

high level weapons vs low level character
I was thinking of someone's idea that was posted somewhere on this forum... this is really easy coding... if someone is low level and pick up a high level weapon maybe it will change into an apple.

spawn rate of "good"
That is up to thothie.

rare items
Fire Gauntlets
Ice Sphere
Chain Lighting (Rate drop)
Flamelick (Only saw 2 on my server since I have been playing on it)
Ore (only saw 3)
Demon Blood (Foutpost only spawn 1. sometime never)
Vampire Blood
Orion Bow
Nova Blade
Tork Blade

Thats all I could think of for now.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Omg... I seriously think you only read half of everything.

pimpsta said:
-sigh-

There are over 30 things that is on the scratch pad that thothie needs help on AND to be done. I am seeing over 50 things on the notepad and only 14 of them are done. I am pretty sure if you give him suggestions, it would give him ideas for the next month patch. I am not saying he will ignore the suggestion. I am not saying that your suggestion is a bad idea. I am just saying that it is more work for him to do. It won't be done over night or within a week. Eventually it will get done.

They're suggestions. I know Thothie has planned features already, and infact, I IM'd him if it would be alright if I could make this thread. I would of just IM'd him the suggestions, but then again, I wanted to know what everyone elses opinion was, not "Yea... Thothie already has stuff planned."

pimpsta said:
Huge Bears
He would just have to change the numbers of health - easy

Yea, uh... thats why I suggested it, because it was easy and hopefully he could do it. But then again, adding health wasn't just the suggestion to the Huge Bears.

pimpsta said:
Timidus Textor
New animation would required.

Right.

pimpsta said:
fire arrows
They don't have a range of "light up" dark place. but I am sure there is a reason for that.

If you read the description of the fire arrows, they're not meant to used as a weapon...

pimpsta said:
Divination
That wouldn't be easy if there are 7 files for him to do. It got me confusing and its confusing for Thothie too as well. I am sure if that script is rewrite then that could be included.

Healing Circle. Within the radius your healed. If unholy monster's hp lower than certain numbers (Example: 20.), he will not walk into the Healing Circle.

pimpsta said:
Mongol armor
similar to phoenix armor but different affection and ratio - easy

K?

pimpsta said:
high level weapons vs low level character
I was thinking of someone's idea that was posted somewhere on this forum... this is really easy coding... if someone is low level and pick up a high level weapon maybe it will change into an apple.

Eh... I don't want it turn into an apple. That's not wheere I'm getting at. I want the weapon not pickable at all for someone who shouldn't have it.

pimpsta said:
spawn rate of "good"
That is up to thothie.

Infact, all of this is up to Thothie.

pimpsta said:
rare items
Fire Gauntlets
Ice Sphere
Chain Lighting (Rate drop)
Flamelick (Only saw 2 on my server since I have been playing on it)
Ore (only saw 3)
Demon Blood (Foutpost only spawn 1. sometime never)
Vampire Blood
Orion Bow
Nova Blade
Tork Blade

Thats all I could think of for now.

When I said "Rare" Items and "Reward" Items, I meant them as two separate groups.
"Reward" Items being the items you get from boss/gauntlet maps. You'll never get the Dark Armor anywhere else, right? That would be a "Reward" item. Same goes for the Orion bow, Nova blade, ect.
"Rare" Items being the items like pfck, easy location to farm, very low spawnrate. Like the Elven bow, although it has a boss, you don't know the Elven Bow spawns there, unlike the Dark Armor.

I'm suggesting this so Thothie might go "Wow, that would be easy to do and would spice up the game a lot." or "I don't have to much for the players on my next patch, maybe I could use one of these ideas."

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Some of the monster ideas don't really work out. It would make the lower level areas harder than intended.

I like the healing circle thing, we need more stuff for players who might want to play support, but in all honesty I would rather see the spell system redone.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
however take in mind that beginner multi healing spells must regain less health than rejuvenate for balancing, and maybe use more mana

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
FER said:
however take in mind that beginner multi healing spells must regain less health than rejuvenate for balancing, and maybe use more mana

Why? Fireball doesn't do less damage than fire dart because of the AOE. Just make it require a higher level and use more mana :|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There are over 30 things that is on the scratch pad that thothie needs help on AND to be done.
That's just the coding scratch pad... You should see the script scratch pad, with 150+ items in it. ;)

Seriously, Thothie himself should ask coders in the MSC section in MODDB
As opposed to Foamy asking for them? Only thing we've gotten from that place was some chick offering to provide sound engineering, and even she vanished.

I've thrown the code at twelve different people now. Everyone has either flaked, run away screaming after seeing the code, got eaten by aliens after I sent them to Lord K to work on MS:S, says they'll get to it later cuz they're too busy, or went to work for another mod - or some combination of the above.

There are over 150 script that need to be narrow down or delete.
ATM there seems to be no limit to the number of scripts we can have, and thus no reason to ever delete any script, for fear that some mapper, somewhere, may have already used it, or have some use for it in the future. We do have about that many scripts that need to be updated and made fully functional though.

I believe that thothie is more concern about getting the bugs out than adding more codes into it.
Actually, at the moment I'm most concerned with getting materials for upcoming maps so that they maybe released as soon as possible. Crow's scripts are turning out to be the most complicated ever conceived of, but this is largely due to my wanting to make less straight-forward, more varied combat for these insane level beasts.

Frankly I can't keep up, but I also know from experience, I can't really trust anyone who plays with the complete script archive, and certainly can't trust anyone with the compiler. I've been kinda-sorta training Shurik3n to write some up, but there are so many things in this script system that can only be learned through trial and error that it's very hard to teach, and he's made me realize that I've sadly not documented them all thoroughly.

villager said:
[Bears, Giant Spiders, Spitting Spiders, and Scorpion requests]
Problem with making the low-end bosses meaner, is that it makes life harder on the low-end players. I'd consider making variants of these for future low-end maps. (I had intended to make an alternate Stone Spider to place in the new Daragoth). Tis also true that Skycastle, at least, could use meaner bears, rather than gigantic swarms of weak bears, and maybe as Replica's remake nears completion, I can add some new scripts to that effect.

As for scorpions, that's up to the mappers... They don't seem particularly popular, despite their ease of application, but no ones really been working on a map in their level category either. I wanted to make a variant of them that took advantage of their "drop down from wall" animation function that you could make spawn on walls, and that'd sit there, until you walked underneath them, or spotted and attacked them.

-Mongol armor, Please?
Mongol armor was replaced by Decorative armor... Which was determined to be a cruel joke, and thus has now been replaced by Banded Mail, that fills the same slot that Mongol armor did back in the days of old... Opted out of Mongol armor due to their being a lack of Mongols in the world. ;)

As for healing armor... Tis a possibility, but a divination level-restricted ring may work just as well. Something like that has a lot of PL/twinking potential.

-Possibly make rare items not pickable for people who's skills are to low rather than holdable
Can't think of a way to apply this via scripts currently. The only system that stops you from picking up items is the weight hard code. I'd have to add a new element to the item property and register it through the scripts, somehow, someway. I'm not sure if I can pull up the level requirement from the item's attack data from that area of the hard code.

-I don't know if this is possible, but make it were an item is not use-able if they're stats are too low (example: to use the darkmaul, you'll need strength lvl needs to be 20 or higher to use it). It makes more sense to me.
Currently can only restrict levels by the skill stat the weapon uses.

-(Only use this suggestion if the last two suggestions are put into game) Increase the spawnrate for "good" (reward) items in boss/gauntlet maps (just a tad), and spread out rare items threwout the game (with low spawnrates).
(Reward items being Nova blade, Orion bow, Firegaunts (IMO, firegauntlets needs a new location), ect. Rare items being pfck, elven bow, tork, flamelick, ect.)
Rare items far too populous already. I have been tweaking it so items are more likely to appear if there are more players present, however, in part to make up for the fact that if there are more players present, there's more people to fight over it.

(As for J_M's comment on the subject, I'm sorry, but we're going in the exact opposite direction: more and more things will be more common based on the number of players present, this includes not only rares, but the quantity and quality of other treasures, right down to the number of gold bags.)

fire arrows
I made them a lot brighter a long time ago (they used to make this tiny red glow), but I've not played with them for a long time, something may have broke. They never did work quite as they should.

-Divination:
-A spell called healing circle (suggest better name?). It could heal whoevers inside the ring in small amounts and repeal unholy monsters low on health (example: Scares away walking ash if it's hp is lower than 20)
There are several spells similar to this on the back burner due to the wrecked spell balance. This one wouldn't gather XP, so it's one of the more likely ones to see the light of day. Although the fear factor for skeletons so low level they aren't a threat to you is only good for PL'ing nubs, so tis out.

The original holy circle did this, provided some damage reduction, damaged undead skeletons, and had the potential to turn them. But like the entire Earth spell category, is out until we can figure out a better way to tweak the spell ramp.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Aww... the only changes I truely wanted to see were the monsters :|

Changes for the bears, it would only make them last longer, and I just want to see them last longer on their hind legs since that's probably the coolest feature to any monster :D

Same goes with Timidus Textor, he would only be harder because he hops away from you, its not meant to do any damage, and infact it should make him more fun.

The only change that would make the suggested bosses harder is Veneficus Aracunidia and Veneficus Umbra, and no low level is going to fight them, since they're in calruin2. Veneficus Aracunidia is kinda easy as it is, him having the ability to acid spray would kinda teach you to retreat once in awhile :\

I didn't mean Virus Consputo (The one in thornlands), I meant Veneficus Umbra (Calruin2). I was only trying to eliminate the repetiveness (Two monsters looks the same but one has slightly higher health). They are mostly ranged monster, I figured that the suggestion would give it a defence from close attacks like the elite orc ranger :)

Please?! D:!!

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
(As for J_M's comment on the subject, I'm sorry, but we're going in the exact opposite direction: more and more things will be more common based on the number of players present, this includes not only rares, but the quantity and quality of other treasures, right down to the number of gold bags.)
So will you increase the spawn chances when more players are around, or keep the current spawn chances for when more players are around and decrease the spawn chances for when one player is around?

In other words:

Will the current spawn chance of 2% for rare item X stay the same for one player, making the spawn chance about 16% when there are eight players...

...or will the current spawn chance of 2% for rare item X only really be 2% if there are eight players, making it about 0,25% for one player?

If you're going for the first approach (leave the current spawn chance on items untouched so that a single player won't notice a difference) that would be cool, but the second one would suck donkey balls to the max.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Um... if you go with J-M's option number 1 theres something I should probably PM you.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
And I have an idea about what you're both talking about, but why wait? It should probably be PMed anyway.

(Actually, I have no idea >_>, but there is a way to exploit something in that I probably should pass along)