small idea: Score = Level

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well... i was just thinking that... well... when you are about to join a game and you look at who's in it... you can see the player's score... and well... as far as i know that score isn't used for anything... so why not chance it so that a player's score is always the same as the player's "level" (like i am "level" 9 Ranger so it would show that i have a score of 9)... well... tell me what you guys think :)

PS: someone try to log on to my username? i just got a e-mail about "forgotten password" and i haven't used this username since i made it... :?

edit:

click here for full veiw

now everyone is sure to kane that score i mean :p

and well... it sould be easy to do... right?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd love it to return HP (since levels are meaningless), but I've no idea how to arrange that.

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'd love it to return HP (since levels are meaningless), but I've no idea how to arrange that.
well... why i want it is cause... when your looking at what game to join you look at what map they are playing on... and you guess how strong they are... but when you enter the game they are all just level "20+ Fencers" :evil:

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Party tags would rock, too.

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Thothie said:
Party tags would rock, too.
well... that would need a lot more work... i just mean the normal score when you look at the Server Info :roll:

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Still, though, levels are meaningless, as a level 9 summat can be a lot weaker than a level 4 summat, due to JoaT being stronger and specializing. I'd much prefer HP, if there were a way.

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Still, though, levels are meaningless, as a level 9 summat can be a lot weaker than a level 4 summat, due to JoaT being stronger and specializing. I'd much prefer HP, if there were a way.
... :|

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm just reinforcing that levels are meaningless, and more important is one's HP, as it is determined by the overall strength of the character.

Take, for example, a pure SA character. Maybe he's level 10. He wouldn't be nearly as strong as someone HALF his level with his skills balanced out. The more balanced your character is in terms of skills, the more HP, MP, and stats he has. This makes the character more useful overall.

Thus, showing character LEVEL would be nothing compared to showing the characters HP. Though, showing both would be good, but I don't think steam server list would allow that.

It makes me think... In NS CO mode (something Thothie is definitely not farmiliar with), it shows the level to your teammates. Wouldn't it be possible to do the same kind of thing for in-game? Like, have the score equal the person's HP, and then there would be another spot for level.

Then again, with you putting your effort into the new titles(which, from what I've heard, will not show levels), any work put into listing levels would be wasted effort... So having score = HP would be much more reasonable.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'll look into add another column to the scoreboard for hp, maybe even current hp so people can heal others or whatnot or current/max idk. I also look at changing score to = hp when looking through the steam server info thingy.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
That'd be awesome. :D With your XP listing, hopefully you shouldn't have TOO hard a time with it, and it would help coordinate a ton.

I should be learning me some coding, but I kinda have life to deal with ATM. >.> 'Tis why I haven't been playing MS:C.

Well, that and World of Warcrack.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well I think I got the scoreboard down, gonna test with at least 2 other people tomarrow... and then do the server info thingy.

BTW Thothie if you're reading this thread please send me a link to the JAN2008 source.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
While yer at it - ye can look up "Send Skills on spawn" as in "Error (SERVER): Error: CBasePlayer::Spawn --> Shurik3n: Send Skills on spawn" - not sure waddup wid dat.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
After debugging, I found it broke when it came time to send parry... But parry works just fine >_>

I decided not to even bother with it after that.

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
wow my little idea got some talking going on :)

well... i guess levels are a bit meaningless... but doesn't that just mean that the way the levels are calculated should be chanced? :roll:

well... i don't know... but if not then i guess making it show Max HP it another way of doing it :|

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Deantwo said:

well... i guess levels are a bit meaningless... but doesn't that just mean that the way the levels are calculated should be chanced? :roll:

well... i don't know... but if not then i guess making it show Max HP it another way of doing it :|

Levels are going to be removed, and replaced with titles that reflect the strength of the owner of any particular title.

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Deantwo said:

Levels are going to be removed, and replaced with titles that reflect the strength of the owner of any particular title.
ooh? no level at all? :eek: sad... i kinda like it with a number :|

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Then again, with you putting your effort into the new titles(which, from what I've heard, will not show levels), any work put into listing levels would be wasted effort... So having score = HP would be much more reasonable.
>.> Meh, I guess it wasn't clear enough.

Deantwo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
>.> Meh, I guess it wasn't clear enough.
guess not... i mean i kinda don't read anything here on the forum... :roll:

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Still, though, I thought I was quite clear in saying that levels are going to be gone soon.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wow are you really going to go back and forth saying it was clear and it wasn't?

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I'd like to see the title level calculated from all your skill levels, giving you a somewhat accurate idea what level you are. :D

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Hopefully once the parry stat gets scrapped we'll get levels more accurate to the actual player stats

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis true though, once the new titles are in, levels go bye-bye. One way or the other the total HP will be on the scoreboard (either as a new column, or appended to the title).

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How are you going to counterbalance the loss of mana and HP from the lack of parry? Curious ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not worked that out yet. >_> - I r thinking we will increase the mana yet get from SC, and also give a smidgen of mana for all the other skills, until it evens up, maybe + a tad. Removing parry, however, is going to be complex coding surgery.