replacements [wip]

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
You can do it at jeds but im not sure if it gets saved, even if you save (duh)

Best way is doing it on the qc file, will be under the name "$eyeposition"

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We've run into this quite a few times, so I shall quote from the dev thread:

Thothie said:
In Milkshape, import an appropriate working viewmodel reference SMD. (I use \viewmodels\martial arts+spellcasting\barearms_ref.smd). Do NOT rename bones on import.

Put all the triangles into one group for easy deletion.

Delete skeleton.

Import fubar'd model ref (in this case gearshield_rview.mdl->shield_ref.smd), again, without renaming bones.

Make sure arms/shoulders line up appropriately.

Delete the triangles you grouped before.

Export SMD and recompile model.

Voila:
viewmodel_unfubar.jpg

PS. When building viewmodels, please build them from the weapon view, and remove any polies that are not visible from the weapon view. We've far too many viewmodels that look really nifty from the front while wasting epoly's galore in the pointless effort.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
do you have a working .smd reference file? just incase milkshapes decompiler is the thing thats messing it up?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... I have the current 1h swords viewmodel source - since it's submodel #0 you are after it should work (I *think* the sequence indexes are the same):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/v_1hswo ... 010_18.rar

The problem seems to come on the import/export end, or some such. Not *entirely* clear what causes it myself, as it hasn't happened to me, although I also never make models from scratch, I just put em together and/or fix and/or break them.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
dunno whats wrong with my copy of msc or what ever. but it doesnt load the v_weps. it loads the r_views for first person.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ceriux said:
dunno whats wrong with my copy of msc or what ever. but it doesnt load the v_weps. it loads the r_views for first person.
As we hath explained to the, the current (MAY) patch, still uses ye old seperate viewmodel. But as the shortsword is the first model in the consolidated viewmodel, you may use said consolidated viewmodel to replace said old viewmodel, and it shall work fine.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
hmm no , i tried that actually. the rusty short sword shows up at as regular one when i do that. the model group numbers are set up different.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well that would be true... But they use the exact same mesh and anims, so that should have no bearing on your testing, given that you've yet to skin the sword. You can also swap the model order for sake of testing, of course. The older rusty/normal shortsword models have no model groups, but the script will default to whatever model is in slot #0.

ceriux said:
like i mentioned =/ iv only had issues with msc. i dont know why the position of a model would change from its original place after recompiling it from someone elses cordinates.
Either you are not following the procedure for integration proper, or you need to learn to use a commandline compiler/decompiler, such as the ones provided, which can deal with submodel'd meshes properly.