Questions on Gameplay

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rideon said:
There is actually no way that you could loose to a Troll in a 2vs1 fight :oldshock:
Anyways this is serious post-boosting (ohno)and lets stay on-topic, it's fine like it is right now, i'd accept a better troll version on the source engine but not on the goldsrc engine

Yeah, well, we did, multiple times.

Also, I don't give a single shit about my post count, and I don't understand why it matters to you. (no offense intended if I sounded offensive there)

And I'm going to have to disagree with you there, things should be balanced in any game, regardless of the engine it is using.

Caluminium said:
Maybe you shouldn't try fighting trolls until you're a higher level then? :roll:

Out of curiosity, what HP are you?

My HP is about 297 (I think) and my friend's is 182, I think.

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Spy said:
Yeah, well, we did, multiple times.

Also, I don't give a single **** about my post count, and I don't understand why it matters to you. (no offense intended if I sounded offensive there)

And I'm going to have to disagree with you there, things should be balanced in any game, regardless of the engine it is using.
[..]
My HP is about 297 (I think) and my friend's is 182, I think.

First of all the Goldsrc engine does have a limit, which the mod won't hopefully reach :p (i think) which you have like *un*limited space for your stuff to do in source engine

And if my Level 5 with 113 hp (or so) beats them easily, then you 2 should get them pretty easy aswell

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rideon said:
First of all the Goldsrc engine does have a limit, which the mod won't hopefully reach :p (i think) which you have like *un*limited space for your stuff to do in source engine

Every engine has a limit, modifying 100 lines of code to fix a bug won't go past the limit.

Rideon said:
And if my Level 5 with 113 hp (or so) beats them easily, then you 2 should get them pretty easy aswell

Welp, time to give it another shot then.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The Source Engine does have limits, kthx. Much higher limits (2048 networked entities, 2048 non-networked entities) but limits all the same.

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Orochi said:
The Source Engine does have limits, kthx. Much higher limits (2048 networked entities, 2048 non-networked entities) but limits all the same.

By the way, I still haven't gotten a reply from you - do you need a particle artist for MS:S? :)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I sent you a reply. Not sure why you didn't get it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Spy said:
Wouldn't it be easier to create a new troll class, which would base on what it is based on now, modify it's reach/etc. values and then make other scripts base on the old troll code? Or is that not possible with the GoldSRC engine?
That's kind of the point, there is a troll class (or a base, as we call it in the scripting world), it's just dated. There's too many varieties of monsters in too many different locations using said base to go altering it willy nilly.

It's true that they are kind of the nemesis for the first dozen levels or so, but there's a good gap where none of them are a challenge, until you get to the Djinn at the later levels, but by that time, the reach is the least menacing about them. (And the Djinn tend to need it, as they tend to be reaching over smaller monsters.)

Granted, if you think the vanilla trolls are bad - wait till you find ones that throw boulders. :| Those are more than a tad over powered for SP. Granted, they don't toss their atomic boulders if you can get in close, and their reach isn't quite as good.

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Spy said:
Wouldn't it be easier to create a new troll class, which would base on what it is based on now, modify it's reach/etc. values and then make other scripts base on the old troll code? Or is that not possible with the GoldSRC engine?
That's kind of the point, there is a troll class (or a base, as we call it in the scripting world), it's just dated. There's too many varieties of monsters in too many different locations using said base to go altering it willy nilly.

Well why not create a separate base for the troll and leave the current base for other mobs?
It's not that hard as far as I'm concerned.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Cuz there's a lotta different kinds of trolls in a lotta different places. Some are dependent the reach, some aren't. Only way to fix a few of them, would be to test them individually, in each and every map a troll appears in, and every location there in, and then replace the monster with a new adjusted one, as required. That'd mean editing the map to redirect to the new script and then adding that map to the betapack. Wouldn't be worth the effort to reduce the reach of a few low level beasts, let alone the size it would add to the betapack for no other reason than to nerf a common miniboss who's been like this for years.

Out of curiosity though, exactly which troll is giving you the trouble?

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Cuz there's a lotta different kinds of trolls in a lotta different places. Some are dependent the reach, some aren't. Only way to fix a few of them, would be to test them individually, in each and every map a troll appears in, and every location there in, and then replace the monster with a new adjusted one, as required. That'd mean editing the map to redirect to the new script and then adding that map to the betapack. Wouldn't be worth the effort to reduce the reach of a few low level beasts, let alone the size it would add to the betapack for no other reason than to nerf a common miniboss who's been like this for years.

Look, I'm pretty sure you can create another base for the troll and don't replace it's name, then create another base for other mobs that use the troll code, but aren't trolls. Then you'd just have to change the base names in those mobs' script files and it'd work. (unless you guys specify the scripts to mobs via Hammer, in which case I'm sorry, because I thought it'd be similar to Garry's Mod's gLua.)

Thothie said:

Every single one.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Spy said:
Quality over quantity.
We'd still have 11 maps, if we'd been taking that route. ;)

Spy said:
Look, I'm pretty sure you can create another base for the troll and don't replace it's name, then create another base for other mobs that use the troll code, but aren't trolls. Then you'd just have to change the base names in those mobs' script files and it'd work. (unless you guys specify the scripts to mobs via Hammer, in which case I'm sorry, because I thought it'd be similar to Garry's Mod's gLua.)
Script names have to be specified in the maps. I *might* be able to change reach based on map name and location, but I'd need specifics as...

Spy said:
Thothie said:
Every single one.
Nein. Many of them need that reach. Any time they're in a situation where they've got a lot minions or obstacles to work past. Certainly all the old_helena trolls, the first two Djinn (due to their odd / buggered boss chambers)...

But you shouldn't even be running into that many trolls at your level. There's the boulder thrower on Heras, and another on Daragoth - plus two more that have to deal with the odd huts and their orc backup, so they'll need it... Other than those, I can't think, off hand, where you'd even be encountering them at that level.

Mind you that all mobs increase their reach if you attack from above or below, usually to a minimum of their full height plus their normal reach, as required to avoid the "I jump on your head" and "I can't hit you through my own hitbox" exploits.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
@Thothie

Isle is a low lvl grinding area, and there's a swarm of trolls in the forest + house (when u break the walls). That's probably the case he refers to, or perhaps the_keep.