Questions on Gameplay

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
[EDIT]: Move to Troubleshooting, or Suggestions? Guess it makes more sense to be there.

I was curious about things I've personally experienced with the game's behavior, and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced them as well. Note: I'm not starting a complaint thread, I merely want to see if other people experience the same thing, or if there's some settings I have to tweak or just live with. I'll add some more as I think of them, and I also had a couple ideas I'll list at the bottom.

- Weapon jams. No, I'm not trying to play MS:C with guns... although they'd come in handy for certain areas :twisted: But once every three days or so, +attack/+uber will either stop responding entirely, or will continue to fire, until I restart MS:C (-attack/-uber does nothing).

- Lingering echo (from audio effects). The two biggest culprits that instantly come to mind are calruin2's disco room and ... lostcastle_msc (the one before skycastle... forgot the name), in the maze room. I'm not sure what the desired audio effect was, but it sounds like running on glass, I guess. The problem, however, is that the audio effect doesn't go away (even with stopsound or a map change) without restarting MS:C, and interferes with other sound effects as well. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to kill the sound effect?

- Single-Player character loading. It's like a crap shoot: No matter if I select to have characters stored client-side or on the server, about 50% of the time after entering a map, it tries to load saved characters from the other location (yes, it's a Single-Player LAN, but the naming conventions of the files are different). It's not that big of a deal, a quick map change usually fixes the problem, but it's still weird.

- Texture errors. I know, everyone gets them, but they happen rather frequently (and usually in the same places of a map). How frequent do they occur for other people, and is the simplest resolution just to get a new gfx card or reinstall the game? Or just ignore it... or am I missing a setting somewhere?

- Map crashes. This is a suggestion, actually, but is there an EASY way to store certain map entity states, like after triggering a trigger_once or even possibly a multi_manager or something, in an encrypted dat file? So after reloading from a crash, players can resume from where they left off? I say EASY because if it's not easy, or if it would use too many resources, don't bother... it's not that much of a hassle to run a map again, it was just an idea for the sake of a small convenience.

- Wiki spam. I haven't created an account on the wiki, so I don't know if there's Captcha before adding/editing an article, but... There's some nice wiki spam (and forum spam!) blacklists out there for public use. i-blocklist.com comes to mind... can't think of others I've used off the top of my head though.

Also I apologize in advance, even in my old internet age, my Search Fu is still imperfect. So sorry if these have come up a lot before.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Lark said:
- Lingering echo (from audio effects). The two biggest culprits that instantly come to mind are calruin2's disco room and ... lostcastle_msc (the one before skycastle... forgot the name), in the maze room. I'm not sure what the desired audio effect was, but it sounds like running on glass, I guess. The problem, however, is that the audio effect doesn't go away (even with stopsound or a map change) without restarting MS:C, and interferes with other sound effects as well. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to kill the sound effect?

This should help it stop.

Code:
room_type 1

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lark said:
- Weapon jams. No, I'm not trying to play MS:C with guns... although they'd come in handy for certain areas :twisted: But once every three days or so, +attack/+uber will either stop responding entirely, or will continue to fire, until I restart MS:C (-attack/-uber does nothing).
This happens. Like so many things, we don't know why this happens. Dropping the weapon and picking it back up will usually fix it though.

Lark said:
Poor EAX compatibility is the likely culprit. You can disable EAX in the sound options. Or, like Franky says, room_type 1.

Lark said:
- Single-Player character loading. It's like a crap shoot: No matter if I select to have characters stored client-side or on the server, about 50% of the time after entering a map, it tries to load saved characters from the other location (yes, it's a Single-Player LAN, but the naming conventions of the files are different). It's not that big of a deal, a quick map change usually fixes the problem, but it's still weird.
The single player option is not well implemented. Always be sure to shut down and start fresh. If you're doing LAN, it's dependant on your character name, so be sure to switch to your character name in console (name "your name here") before loading a map.

Lark said:
- Texture errors. I know, everyone gets them, but they happen rather frequently (and usually in the same places of a map). How frequent do they occur for other people, and is the simplest resolution just to get a new gfx card or reinstall the game? Or just ignore it... or am I missing a setting somewhere?
Windows Vista/7's OpenGL emulation layer seems to aggravate this, but you'll even get it in XP, on occasion. Only solution is to shut down Half-Life and reload the map.

Some maps share texture names as well. Since Half-Life doesn't dump texture memory between map loads, that can lead to odd things like this, regardless of the quality of your OpenGL. Unlike the other texture bugs, this is at least consistent, but again, no way around that short of restarting.

Lark said:
- Map crashes. This is a suggestion, actually, but is there an EASY way to store certain map entity states, like after triggering a trigger_once or even possibly a multi_manager or something, in an encrypted dat file? So after reloading from a crash, players can resume from where they left off? I say EASY because if it's not easy, or if it would use too many resources, don't bother... it's not that much of a hassle to run a map again, it was just an idea for the sake of a small convenience.
Some of the maps feature keys to help cope with this, so that you can open the next section, without running over the previous one again, but there's really too many variables to store, and no easy system to re-initiate them all. On gauntlet maps, it should at least remember where you were within the gauntlet, so you don't have to start from the first map, at least.

Lark said:
- Wiki spam. I haven't created an account on the wiki, so I don't know if there's Captcha before adding/editing an article, but... There's some nice wiki spam (and forum spam!) blacklists out there for public use. i-blocklist.com comes to mind... can't think of others I've used off the top of my head though.
Keep pestering Lord K to do something about this, near as I can tell, the WIKI's source code isn't as easy to mess with as the forum's.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Wow, thanks Thoth, that perfectly addressed everything I was curious about :) And yeah, I've tried dropping the weapon once, but I don't think it fixed the problem (that and I'm always nervous about dropping weapons on the ground, especially when weird glitches start happening). Even switching weapons did nothing, but I'll try the drop solution next time it occurs and see what happens.

As for the maps-with-keys solution, it would be nice if they didn't perish on use, or had a quantity of uses or something. Although I suppose I can always just do runs and collect keys for when people want to do a map/boss (you can store those in a galat chest, right?)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You can store keys, and just about anything without multiple uses or an ammo count, should you choose not to go straight back to the map that crashed. The idea is that you still have to deal with both sections of the map at least once per non-crashie visit, so giving the keys multiple uses would rather defeat that purpose. There is a function for keyholes that do not 'eat' the key used, or rather, return the key after use, but again, that isn't really the idea behind it, when mappers use keys within their maps, so, thus far, I don't think anyone's found a reason to take advantage of that feature.

When a map does crash, the last map visited is always written to crashed.cfg, and dedicated servers are usually setup to return to that map after a crash. In single player, should you crash mid-gauntlet, it might be wise to "exec crashed.cfg" in console before loading a new map, to be sure that you return to where you left off, rather than get tagged as having visited some other map, and thus invalidate your progress.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Another thing I just thought of: The chat line. While it's got that nice little fade-in effect for the letters, I notice the buffer randomly decides to swap characters. I don't suppose there's a command to have it not do special effects with the characters as I'm typing them, is there? Or am I just typing too fast or something? :X I know the actual output (publicly-displayed chat box) displays what was actually typed, but I'm one of those OCD-types that reviews what he's typing on the chat line sometimes and corrects it, but that chat buffer likes to mess with my mind.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I've looked, but everything in the code looks fine. I'll look through it again tonight.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It doesn't like European keyboards... It also doesn't like % signs - they seem to get processed as a var holder. Other than that, IDK.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thought it happened with more than just %s for me. Don't remember. Lemme see if I can't fix that % problem, though...

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot about the weird % sign syndrome too, but I've seen that in other games as well (even modern ones). How's it currently trying to parse special characters?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It just uses a standard sprintf or the like. Since % is a special character with that, it can freak out trying to resolve a variable that's not included.

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have a question - why does every troll have a melee range of 5-7 meters? It's ridiculously OP, their arms are not even that long.

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Necropost much, but you know, those trolls are hacking badly

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rideon said:
Necropost much, but you know, those trolls are hacking badly

Not that much of a necropost, the thread is only 1 month old.
Can I get a serious answer please?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Obviously Rideon's not been watching OpsMiller to see how necroposting is done...

Trolls are an older script and have an odd shape, a combination that tends to result in having somewhat longer reach than they should. They're also a base script and spread far and wide, however, so messing with them is kinda risky (affects a broad range of scripts, some of which need that extra reach).

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Obviously Rideon's not been watching OpsMiller to see how necroposting is done...

Trolls are an older script and have an odd shape, a combination that tends to result in having somewhat longer reach than they should. They're also a base script and spread far and wide, however, so messing with them is kinda risky (affects a broad range of scripts, some of which need that extra reach).

Wouldn't it be easier to create a new troll class, which would base on what it is based on now, modify it's reach/etc. values and then make other scripts base on the old troll code? Or is that not possible with the GoldSRC engine?

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Spy said:
Thothie said:

Wouldn't it be easier to create a new troll class, which would base on what it is based on now, modify it's reach/etc. values and then make other scripts base on the old troll code? Or is that not possible with the GoldSRC engine?

Patch has already been delayed for a pretty long time, and i guess tothie wants to get this one out pretty soon

:Rehab:

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rideon said:
Spy said:
Thothie said:

Patch has already been delayed for a pretty long time, and i guess tothie wants to get this one out pretty soon

:Rehab:

It's not hard to copy-paste a bit of code, modify it to fix the trolls, then replace several lines of code in other files to use a different code base.

But hey, I'm still glad that this mod is being updated. My friend and I are amazed by the amount of content this mod has. :)

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Spy said:
It's not hard to copy-paste a bit of code, modify it to fix the trolls, then replace several lines of code in other files to use a different code base.

But hey, I'm still glad that this mod is being updated. My friend and I are amazed by the amount of content this mod has. :)

You want to add extra work to Tothie or MiB?

Also this wants me to report a weapons bug which is pretty good actually (nothing to be scared of)

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rideon said:
Spy said:

Also this wants me to report a weapons bug which is pretty good actually (nothing to be scared of)

Quality over quantity.
I'd rather have a mod that's bug-less with a bit less content than vice-versa.

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Spy said:
Rideon said:
Spy said:

Quality over quantity.
I'd rather have a mod that's bug-less with a bit less content than vice-versa.

Its pretty much a shame, that some people have problems with trolls, back in the 2008-2010 (before tork bows etc came) it was difficult to kill them, but now its so easy due to overpowered weapons which im not counting..

Spy

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rideon said:
Its pretty much a shame, that some people have problems with trolls, back in the 2008-2010 (before tork bows etc came) it was difficult to kill them, but now its so easy due to overpowered weapons which im not counting..

They might be easy to kill for you, but for me and my friend, they're pretty damn hard, considering that we're new to the mod. (especially with the retarded melee range bug)

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
There is actually no way that you could loose to a Troll in a 2vs1 fight :oldshock:
Anyways this is serious post-boosting (ohno)and lets stay on-topic, it's fine like it is right now, i'd accept a better troll version on the source engine but not on the goldsrc engine

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Maybe you shouldn't try fighting trolls until you're a higher level then? :roll:

Out of curiosity, what HP are you?