Mouse Troubles

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, pretty bad when I gotta ask things like this, but maybe one of you have dealt with something like this.

Switched monitors, having issues making MSC/Half-Life behave with the mouse.

Without Raw Input (ms_rawinput 0), the mouse periodically jerks in random directions.

With Raw Input, I can only rotate part way around - seemingly restricted where the mouse would have left the window.

Tried some stuffs:
-useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd
(also cl_mousegrab 0|1)
But to no avail.

Oh, and running full screen prevents me from clicking on anything (not that I want to run full screen, but that's just bloody grand.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Switched monitors, having issues making MSC/Half-Life behave with the mouse.

Well, i see your problem there. Have you tried switching back? Or a new mouse? :wink:

Perhaps Thothie knows what's going on. Oh wait... :p

Seriously, if this occured after changing monitors, first thing i would do would be testing two mice (not even sure if the word is proper for this case, w/e). If both have the same issues, switch back to previous monitor and throw that one out the window.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Same old mouse, behaving as always for everything else...

Other monitor, be, deadski.

New resolution... Nvidia drivers and Half-Life both updated during a down time. Not sure which be the problem. :\

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
I'm afraid the closest problem I've ever had to that is sometimes, while playing Dark Souls 2 with my blue DS3 plugged in (but not while using it wireless, or while using the black DS3 plugged in/wireless), it'll like, act like the mouse is being jerked around randomly and interrupt inputs and all sorts of spooky stuff.

What kinda monitor did ya switch to? Are ya able to rollback your video drivers and attempt to force the monitor to play nice with the old resolution?

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
After my old VA panel died, switched to a fancy Acer XB270H 27" with 1ms, 144HZ, G-sync, and the works, then decided I couldn't handle the TN panel's lack of black reproduction and switched to IPS Asus MX279H. Actually, don't think I had the Acer long enough to find out if it had the same issue, gave up on it pretty quick.

Rolled back the drivers 3 revisions, to no avail.

It *might* have something to do with the fact that the Asus landed on Display #2, due to the way my HDMI outs are arranged with my televisions. I'll have to get another HDMI cable to move it to Display #1, due to the crazy way this setup is arranged, but even if I disable all the other displays via the Nvidia CP, it does the same thing, so I'm not hopeful.

Nothing else is affected though - even Quake I, II, and III operate normal - as does Xing (WON based HL), and every other game I've thrown at it so far.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Just a complete guess... Your mouse spazzing in a random direction, could that be your mouse attempting to return to the center of the screen? Windows centers the mouse when it registers a monitor. I've had a monitor continuously reregistration (at random intervals) due to having what must have been a "bad" resolution. Try downgrading. Other than that, I can't think of any reason a new monitor would affect a mouse :-\

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Seems it's trying to go up and to the left - though the amount it jerks is pretty random - as if it gets "caught" half-way.

When the windows manifests, its upper left corner appears at the center of the screen, and I gotta drag it back up and to the left to see the whole window, so maybe it is confused about where the center is, and that's what it's trying to do.

I've tried like a dozen resolutions, both wide screen and standard ratios. Full screen prevents me from clicking on the main menu, so... Meh. Maybe I'll get to go out and grab that cable today - doubt it's gonna fix it though.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I have heard of people getting an issue with not being able to turn all the way around, but I can't remember who had this issue.

Himself

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So, just curious, was this ever solved? I joined a server with a friend, and he is having what sounds like the exact same issue you describe here.

DemonEye

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Try raw mouse input. And if that is on, turn it off.

Himself

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately we had tried both and neither of those worked.I tried to googlefu it, tried different resolutions, windowed or not, have fullscreen issues, the raw mouse input thing just makes it so he can't turn all the way around.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I know Razer Synapse doesn't play well with Half-Life. If he has it, have him close it before launching the game. I have to close it every time, otherwise the mouse acceleration goes crazy.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Haven't had a problem with my Logitech mouse. :(

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Razer has garbage software, don't switch over. It often crashes when I turn off my pc, forcing the pc to stay on until I close the dialogue box telling me that it crashed. To even use Razer Synapse, you have to make an account for it. No real reason except for syncing your settings to a cloud. Completely unnecessary. Same with what NVIDIA Experience is doing now.
Also the keyboard light adjuster thingy doesn't work when the computer is off anymore, which it used to. So if I bump my keyboard, my keyboard will wake up and have bright ass lights when I'm trying to sleep. The cable also has 2 usbs and one aux coming off of it. One for a port that's built into the keyboard, the other for the keyboard itself, and the aux for if I wanna plug headphones into my keyboard. Ridiculous unnecessary features. </rant>

Last edited:

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I have that issue on my laptop aswell, but i fixxed it by using m_rawinput 0 to 1 to 0 and never had any issues till i had to restart the game (Well then...)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I resorted to using a rather crazy set of launch options, some of which are probably no longer necessary, as some of this stuff was being caused the new SDL system Valve saddled us with at the time.

Code:
-useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -nofbo -num_edicts 1500
Using some others as well, but they aren't related to the mouse (albeit, neither is -num_edicts, but meh). I had to do some similar stuff for Half-Life.

Switched mice since then, but just a newer one of the same type (Logitech G500s). I am using the Logitech drivers, though it used to be I had to disable the mouse software for some games - but I dun think I've run into that in awhile.

I do get this annoying bit where some games will become HDPI aware, and screw things sideways, even after I uncheck that in their compatibility flags (which it will magically recheck on next launch). This restricts the mouse to one corner of the screen and screws up fonts, though that's probably in part due to the fact that I'm using overscaled fonts (being old and blind), and it's never been an issue with MSC (seems to affect mostly newer games). A lot of games seem to also get my monitor resolution wrong, sometimes hiding my default (1080p).

I run MSC in a window, so that's probably a factor. I used to run it at a custom resolution, and, despite running in a window, I had to define said custom resolution in the graphics card options before it would recognize it. I've since taken to running it in a 900p window - less fuss (as I had to do it after every graphic driver update). All my MSC mouse panel options are unchecked, save for Mouse Filter and Mouse Look.

Himself

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, we tried the m_rawinput 0/1 thing, no luck, and I had him try those launch options, no luck either.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I suppose I could post up all the mouse related cvars in my config.cfg - just grasping at straws though:
Code:
cl_mousegrab "1"
cl_vsmoothing "0.05"
cl_idealpitchscale "0.8"
lookspring "0.000000"
lookstrafe "0.000000"
m_customaccel "0"
m_customaccel_exponent "1"
m_customaccel_max "0"
m_customaccel_scale "0.04"
m_filter "1"
m_forward "1"
m_mousethread_sleep "10"
m_pitch "0.022000"
m_rawinput "0"
m_side "0.8"
m_yaw "0.022"
+mlook
He could either put those at the bottom of his config.cfg prior to launch, or in his userconfig.cfg, but I'm running out of things to throw at it. Took some trial and error to fix mine, and I'm not absolutely sure which of the plethora of things I did fixed it, but it was broken for all Half-Life games.

Could also check in the Half-Life folder above MSC, right click on the HL.exe in there, click properties, and fiddle with the compatibility options - primarily the display scaling. Some folks have had luck with various issues by setting Compatibility Mode to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)".