Motivation

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have been having motivation problems for eons now. Its probably me being a teenager thats causing that but there has to be a way to cope with it and, ultimately, solve it. I have been reaching out to other sources such as wikianswers and that totaly blew. (Wikianswers fails because I asked the question "Why is it so hard for me to stay motivated?" and they replied "Because you touch yourself at night"). I Googled it as well but I really didn't think the answers I read really didn't help. The most I was ever motivated was when I worked on this,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7971.

I was able to get like maybe 75% done in one day? Yeah, thats the most I was ever motived :|

It sucks when your maps folder looks like this....
image-D933_4C6A06E0.jpg

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Eh, being a teenager myself the advice you need is to draw everything out. Don't go to your modeling or mapping program when you get inspired, draw it on paper. Planning the basics out beforehand helps more than you can imagine in the long run. It gives you focus and it gives you material to work off of even when you're not inspired.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
Eh, being a teenager myself the advice you need is to draw everything out. Don't go to your modeling or mapping program when you get inspired, draw it on paper. Planning the basics out beforehand helps more than you can imagine in the long run. It gives you focus and it gives you material to work off of even when you're not inspired.

I tired that but even then I was really lacking. Not to mention when I plotted out a map layout on a notepad thingy and the next day all my drawings were torn out. Dunno who did it really, but thats besides the point.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What you are lacking, young grasshopper, is not motivation, what you are lacking is discipline.

No one lacking motivation has 50+ half finished maps in his work folder. ;)

ADDvsADHD.jpg

You need to force yourself to stick to ONE project. If you absolutely require variety (as I suspect you do) perhaps three, sir... But not 50! You need to make a new dev folder, put 1-3 projects in it, and work on ONLY those projects, no matter what new idea comes into your head.

Mind ye, most mod developers have this problem. Even on the MSC team, with the notable exceptions of FER and MiB, most folks just lack discipline, and tend to work on whatever tickles their fancy at the time - if anything at all. It's rare to find someone with enough discipline to do what needs to be done, rather than what they want to do.

Motivation comes to play when you just aren't working on anything at all. Most of us have that issue from time to time, myself especially (repeated delays of this current patch are mostly on me), but if nothing else, you show enthusiasm. You just need to channel that energy.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
discipline.jpg

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
As thothie said, thats the way to go.

Stick to one thing and dont do anything else until you finished that project, no matter what. In any case just keep track of project you may start in the future.

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I worked for 60 hours straight in one week and then 40 hours the next to get those detailtextures done. I had a lot of time on my hands, but still, creating and editing textures and then applying them to every texture in every map was pretty boring. I didn't even do that good of a job. Other times I've made hundreds of animations, bunches of models, etc etc

What kept me going was the fact that if I didn't do it, nobody else would. Everyone has to have their own reasons for why they do things, and mine is responsibility. If you can't find a good enough reason to do what you do, then maybe do something else?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Glorfindel said:
I worked for 60 hours straight in one week and then 40 hours the next to get those detailtextures done. I had a lot of time on my hands, but still, creating and editing textures and then applying them to every texture in every map was pretty boring. I didn't even do that good of a job. Other times I've made hundreds of animations, bunches of models, etc etc

What kept me going was the fact that if I didn't do it, nobody else would. Everyone has to have their own reasons for why they do things, and mine is responsibility. If you can't find a good enough reason to do what you do, then maybe do something else?

IF I were to start making models and maps that MSc actually needs, and I give up, someone else might take over :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you give up...

...albeit, some of our finest models were conglomerated efforts. The Bludgeon and the Ice Blades for example. Flakey people working together to unflake, as it were. ;)

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
If you give up...

...albeit, some of our finest models were conglomerated efforts. The Bludgeon and the Ice Blades for example. Flakey people working together to unflake, as it were. ;)

I have been thinking of trying working with someone else on a map or model other than my own. Me and Oyster are forming a small team to make some houses and I cant wait in till he gets better at mapping so we can start on them.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
lol oh man, there goes his motivation :mrgreen:

Psh, i'm probably always in lack of motivation to do things, even irl i am and i rarelly finish what i start unless i have a clue what to do next. Whenever i get bored and short on ideas i have this huge barrier blocking my way and it makes progress alot harder which usually makes me give up quickly.
Though i wasn't always like this, i think the past 2 years of my life have changed my way of doing things quite alot, also making me a less reliable person to finish projects. Guess this could be also based on the influence we get from people you see daily or it could be me just being lazy... but i doubt thats just it.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
lol oh man, there goes his motivation :mrgreen:

Psh, i'm probably always in lack of motivation to do things, even irl i am and i rarelly finish what i start unless i have a clue what to do next. Whenever i get bored and short on ideas i have this huge barrier blocking my way and it makes progress alot harder which usually makes me give up quickly.
Though i wasn't always like this, i think the past 2 years of my life have changed my way of doing things quite alot, also making me a less reliable person to finish projects. Guess this could be also based on the influence we get from people you see daily or it could be me just being lazy... but i doubt thats just it.

We need motivation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3zGT6R ... re=related

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Eh, being a teenager myself the advice you need is to draw everything out. Don't go to your modeling or mapping program when you get inspired, draw it on paper. Planning the basics out beforehand helps more than you can imagine in the long run
THIS! Seriously, all good artists do this irrespective of the field they are working in. Michaelangelo sure as hell did not improvise his 'David' and it took Beethoven ten years to write his 9th symphony. No artist worth their salt will ever improvise after creating his initial idea. (by that I mean you can 'free-map' an area in hammer, but once you have done that the remainder of the map needs to be planned entirely).
Planning ahead ensures that the artist maintains unity throughout his project. In regards to hammer, this means that every section of your map must not only flow together visually, but must also work in concert together, organically, to contribute to a greater whole or idea (in your case, this 'greater goal' usually involves gameplay mechanics.) Think of your art project like the human body: Each individual section of your map is like an organ (heart, liver, etc.), all of which function completely differently. However, every organ works together with other organs to accomplish a goal: namely, to keep the whole organism alive.

Also, Thothie is right. Starting 50 projects will ensure that you are 50x less effective at any one project. Try to stick to just one.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Its hard to. I get one idea for a map, then get another that I think is twice as epic!

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I am totally where you are, but in my music production...I'm probably at the point where I could churn out tons of tracks if I just forced myself, but it does not feel right to do, and when I do this, it shows. Take a break every so often, be it forced by [your form of art here]er's block, or yourself.