Magical Apples?

Anonymouse

New Adventurer
Reaction score
2X7iwKv.png

8RMeRIG.png

Apples with magical properties would seem like a fun type of item to be added to the game.
Temporary damage buffs for specific elements? Would seem like a good counterpart to potions that give you damage resistance.
4 bites per apple, 15-30 minutes per bite? Every bite extends the duration.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I support this idea (Something tells me there's at least one more player who'd be enthusiastic about this..). I've always wanted MSC to have Gold and Silver apples in the elven forest areas. That crystal apple is kinda neat looking too. The first one looks like an apple grenade though.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
There is already the pretty magical applemead soup and the insanely powerful firebrand potion in the game which gives the player a much needed edge in some situations. Adding more damage buffing items would break things pretty hard, even if they were some kind of very rare drop, rarity of drops is usually nothing to some players who can harvest multiples of rare weapons easily(and store them by exploiting their inventory to be exorbitantly larger normal).

Who would want to bite into that first looking apple? Seems suspicious.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
the insanely powerful firebrand potion
Some existing potions could have their name and model changed to something apple-based. Especially the potions with multiple drinks, since apples have multiple bites.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I'd rather keep drinking potions.

(Undercliffs already drops a minimum of like 30 apples, it doesn't need to drop 90.)

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Surprised there isnt a setting to auto notify me when someone mentions the word 'apple' then i could respond even sooner. Also YES i wanna have more apples for the Apple Lord! All are created to make players grow up big n strong, or help take the edge off as some local suppliers claim.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Kanta does have a point, i would rather throw apples at the enemies than have them replace some potions.

There are other ways of implementing the use of magical apples, for example, they could give the player a magical shield with some type of bonus. Like absorbing damage and exploding the shield, absorb damage and increase your resists.

You could even have the crystal apple apply "magical damage type" to your elemental weapons and non elemental weapons, so it ends up doing some extra damage as magic-type. Like a dot. The dark apple could be identical, it could apply dark properties to holy weapons and non elemental weapons. So you end up doing dark-type as an extra.

These apples could be sold in towns, they are not really a must have thing and could be uncommon, but they could certainly help lower level players that are seeking to dish out different types of damage early in the game. Perhaps could even have the extra damage capped at 40, regardless of player level, you could do more damage or less damage, depending on the enemy resists. Golden apple bonus: bypass the 40 damage cap on these apples and have them properly scale with skill level.

Then we could also have offensive magical apples... that could work like grenades. You could create these, find them in specific chests in specific elemental maps or buy them in specific towns. Damage dealt by these apples would scale to skill level (perhaps SC level elemental subskill), fast hitting throwable (does mediocre damage per hit, but can be used fast and applies unstackable dot every hit). For example:

-burning apple, the most common of magical offensive apples, throw this thing at the enemy and watch them burn. Golden apple bonus: creates an explosion effect that does AOE damage, also applies dot to all targets hit by the blast.

-poison apple, also a common apple, throw this at the enemy to apply poison damage. Golden apple bonus: creates a poison wave on impact which applies poison to all targets.

-lightning apple, an uncommon apple, applies lightning damage on impact and makes the enemy dizzy (enemy is slowed down a bit and misses more often). Golden apple bonus: applies a strong erratic lightning scaled by skill level on the initial target, erratic lightning then spreads to others through chain lightning, also applies dots.

-frozen apple, also uncommon, applies cold damage every hit, slows the enemy down just like cold spells do. Golden apple bonus: every hit would create a blast effect that slows down the enemy and pushes them back a tiny bit.

-acidic apple, the rarest apple, applies acid damage every hit, increases the damage dealt from all sources. Golden apple bonus: every 3 seconds your hits create an acid cloud that lasts 5 seconds, enemies caught in the cloud are continuously getting hit by acid damage that increases the damage output every second. The one enemy getting hit by the apple would get the acid damage increase from all sources, making this one target get lots of damage. Perhaps limit the acid bonus damage to one target at a time only. If one enemy has the acid glow on them, then that glow as to disappear before you can apply a new one.

I would add an extra apple to the list, the golden apple. Could be either am extremelly rare consumable found in maps/towns or created. Or perhaps an accessory that could go in the one of the ring/crest slots that buffs the magical apples. I was thinking that when the player had this accessory equipped or had consumed one of these, the apples would change their appearences to something else, something like: burning apple changes to a fireball, so you are actually throwing fireballs. Poison apple would be skulls, lightning apple perhaps a small glowing orb identical to that of the orion bow, frozen apple would become a snowball and acidic apple would be a glowing skull. It's just a visual effect, no big deal tbh.

Throwable apples could be weightless, but the carry capacity would be smaller compared to other similiar items (ammunation). Like 300 apples of each type would be the cap, magical apples would work at any level range.

I'm pretty sure Regorty would be living in a dream world if something like this was to happen. It sounds a bit silly putting this much effort into apples, but i would be okay with it as long as if they are something new and magical oriented. The spellcasting in this game needs some love. Not getting new spells kinda kills the mood for spell users, having magical throwables could be something new for those players to mess around with... Personally i like the fire and ice staff for 1 reason only, the meele (specially the ice staff). Acid staff is the only staff out of the 3 that is actually worth using as a magical staff.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Couldnt help but snicker at the ridiculousness of throwing Apples around. But I agree that there should be more spellcasting things in the game, preferably in the form of spells. Straight up spells, no weapons or throwing things. I've curbed the enthousiasm of too many friends I've introduced to this game by telling them how many spells are actually in the game. There are lots of assets that could be used by players that npcs use in their magic like Maldora, Hollow/Cold ones, Kharaztorant wizards, the list goes on of cool magic spells npcs can use but players cannot.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Couldnt help but snicker at the ridiculousness of throwing Apples around. But I agree that there should be more spellcasting things in the game, preferably in the form of spells. Straight up spells, no weapons or throwing things. I've curbed the enthousiasm of too many friends I've introduced to this game by telling them how many spells are actually in the game. There are lots of assets that could be used by players that npcs use in their magic like Maldora, Hollow/Cold ones, Kharaztorant wizards, the list goes on of cool magic spells npcs can use but players cannot.

The thing is, someone had a plan of reworking spellcasting entirely, said plan is/was delaying the longivity of spellcasting. Hence the reason it's fairly outdated when compared to other skills. Also the reason we never get any new spells in the form of an actual spell to use but instead get weapons that cast spells. I think we only got 1 new spell in the past 10 years or so, and that is the summon bear scroll. Whic his a spell that doesn't heavily rely on a spellcasting rework.

There are plenty of things used by npcs that could be used as spells, certainly. Except we will never get any of that untill this rework is done, and it's one of those things on the to-do list for a decade or more now.

The staves we have in-game was somewhat of a push from me and some other people, trying to get new magical gear into the game. Having staves and throwable magic items for the time being is better than not having anything at all. One could easily replace the whole concept of apples with potions and have the player throw potions at the enemies instead, but since we already have a sh*t ton of potions, why couldn't we make a silly approach and do something with the forever useless apples and apple vendors?

There was someone working on a new divination spell nearly a decade ago, i think it was Jelly. This spell never saw a release either, and that reason was already explained.

Last edited:

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
This? Because this is honestly required to be in the game, no excuses to only have ONE damage dealing divination spell.

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
This? Because this is honestly required to be in the game, no excuses to only have ONE damage dealing divination spell.

This looks damn sexy, also I like the dungeon keeperish monk chant sound effect.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
People are scripting and not posting up scripts, for shame. Though that "Repulse" Undead spell doesn't seem to be working as advertised. ;)

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The models are already pretty repulsive so... :^)

DemonEye

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Looks to work like Turn Undead from D&D 5e. It's a close burst spell (A close burst attack is centered on the user, and extends in all directions by the number denoted in the range, to affect all targets in the area of effect. A close burst attack will not affect the caster.) that does damage and pushes back undead creatures.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
@Repulse undead spell idea

If it had some sort of knockback, it'd be great. I think that might be all it's lacking.

((and it should probably limit movement while casting, since it seems pretty powerful))

Good idea!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The models are already pretty repulsive so... :^)
You mean they are full of CHARM!

"Another plus is that it's still being updated", really it is, dammitall... ><

How many spells are there in the game?
Little over two dozen, atm. Only one damaging divine effect that doesn't go through a weapon, though the original idea was to make it harder to level early on.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Hey there, careful where you swing that!

I'd also like to point out I'm in the credits as "Cal" :3 and in most of this video; in RE:CB as well as other games. MS:C was going to be 10 I think but he bumped it up to 5 cuz I convinced him.