Lol-a-thon

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, I so hate games where it's so obvious they are supposed to first person view, and then some avant-guard artist / psychologist concerned about the game becoming too real for children, decides to put the camera five feet behind me and to my right. Seriously WTF? Nothing kills immersion more than having a constant view of my own ass.

In anycase, in response to the first two at top of page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9R-cQ_A_6w
Although, really, those two are more "><" than "LOL" - as you know all those folks sure as hell are going to make it into office in this political climate. ;)
(Although, in that particular vid, I'm not sure whose more at fault - the rep who's gone insane, or the admiral who actually tries to placate him rather than saying, "You, sir, are an idiot.")

Less LOL's, more "Wheeee!"'s but mayhaps more relevant to my present situation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_zYrYkbrGY

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
They made Red Faction third person so you have a better view of the building that's demolishing around you. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
+1 LOL for reminding me of too many folks I know. >_>
Sabre said:
They made Red Faction third person so you have a better view of the building that's demolishing around you. ;)
Well how often does that happen? I mean, I get the occasional third person shift, but you shouldn't be forced to spend an entire game staring at your ass.

Friend of mine was showing me Assassin's Creed 2 recently (on a side note, he owns it, but the protection is so bad I had to help him crack it so he could play again). The game centers on absolutely astonishing environmental romps through some of the most beautiful cities that ever existed, rendered far more beautifully than they ever could have been. Yet, even with all the beautifully immersive scenery about, you still spend the whole game staring at your shiny metal ass. I'm not much for single player games, but I'd get that one, if that wasn't the case. I understand forcing a perspective shift for climbing buildings and for combat in AC, but the damned game should at least give you the option to keep a first person view the rest of the time. He pointed out to me that you can switch to a first person view, but as soon as you move, the camera snaps right back to your ass.

I suppose in games like Guild Wars where you have gothic barbie-doll makers you might want to stare at your character's ass for hours at a time, but with large sandbox world games like AC, it's a brutal shame. (And don't get me started on Dead Space. Grrr...)

Oh yeah... The funny... Umm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9M1mF6WM-Q
(Although I think only Marisa will really like that one - and only if he's played Left4Dead.)

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think you just have a problem with asses. I can understand mixed perspectives on games where sometimes you have to shoot, but 100% of Assassin's Creed 1 is climb on stuff. Assassin's Creed 2 has a gun, but generally players won't fire it many times since it takes time to fire and is single shot. I would have never have used a FP perspective except when I'm on top of buildings looking out at the city...and I did!

In fact... the Dead Space camera hardly even shows your ass and it's the worst offender for most worthless 3P perspective. I think the only time I ever spent ingame time thinking "This is too much ass" was the Metal Gear Solids (since the game PURPOSELY does that.) Although sometimes it was the chests too.. Mass Effect 2 had a lot of ass as well but that was always in cutscenes. Hmm, that is one game that could've worked just as well in first person. I really like staring at my armor and face though.

Mirror's Edge was one of my favorite games from the past year or so, and yet generally most people can agree it's terrible. Most people have problems with spacial coordination when in FP perspective...and that's just the truth. Assassin's Creed would not be as big as it is if it was forcing every player to jump and not know how far they are away from the ground or from something critical to their eyesight. And I wouldn't want it either! I hate looking around with a controller. If it was mouse and keyboard, yeah that allows some panning. That being said... I am definitely in that small market of gamers who love old world history combined with first person jumping puzzles and wouldn't mind if those team's ideas were combined (and dropping that utterly terrible soft future city idea from Mirror's...unless they completely revamped it to not be boring). But I guess prince of persia and assassin's creed have to do.

Anyway, I've seen Lain and played too much L4D...it's just too bad I slogged through Lain as self-inflicted torture, and have played too much L4D to even find it by-association amusing anymore.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not saying the ass, specifically, I'm just being ass-inine as it were. :p But being outside your body, viewing your character's body, kills immersion more than anything.

It's like the game is just screaming "Look! It's okay, calm down, this isn't happening to you! See? There's another guy here!". Dead Space was one of the most horrific offenders in that regard, as not only did it remove all potential horror from the game, it made it damned near unplayable. The single most difficult thing about that game, was the time it took your perspective to shift around. Indeed, as the stories tell, the third person perspective change for that game was made after play testing was completed - as at the time, no shooter could leave the factory with a f*cked upped view system like that. Now, every other game does, including many that have no business even having a third person view as an option (eg. Mass Effect).

And yeah, I get the third person mode for AC2 (and it's not really your ass, so much as the camera centering on you from a nearly top-down perspective) but you also spend a lot of your time walking and running through the streets. Seems you should at least have the option to have a first person view in these situations so you can have some moments of immersion in these beautiful environments. Hell, they setup a first person camera - if it'd just been a toggle, instead of a "f*ck you, you moved!" type thing, they'd have another customer.

Eh... Anyways... Yeah... The Funny...
Where I've been these past few days - although more sad than funny, really.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Smash bros related:

stupidsexysnake_2.gif

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
+1 lol only because that was an awesome Simpsons moment.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
+1lol for dridje, hahaha. It was hard to notice which 1 was bieber later in the clip rofl.