• Do not care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If you don't like the transitioning between maps aspect or the "roll playing" as you put it, your playing the wrong game.

I have a high level character, but every so often I level another up. The game isn't to hard if you stay where you are supposed to at your level.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Some of us don't enjoy having to go through several difficult maps just to get to the one we want to try. We waste our arrows and potions or whatever on those maps, and then don't have anything for the boss map.

Where as, players like you can just go through those maps without wasting a damn thing.

So go ahead, keep patching and not have to worry about level caps. As for me and several others, we're staying with A.

And no, I'm playing the right game. There ARE several ways around the locks. And using other characters, I don't have to worry about level caps, either. But occasionally, I do play with my guy. Sucks to find out I cant use my GAXE, or other shit anymore, that my friends and I already worked BEYOND what should be needed to get them. 100k gold? But no, with these patches I have to sit for another 5 hours to get 3 or 4 axe levels, so I can use what I already worked for.

It's not my thing, but for the higher levels, I suppose these things are nothing but pebbles in their shoe, so to speak.

Wow, second post.

J-M v2.5.5 said:
Bad idea, because the previous time this happened (level restrictions on the greater ice blade, novablade, etc.), tons of people got pissed off.

So it begins.

mnjx

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Evaan said:
I'd really not want in-game characters referring to game mechanics.
I'd rather have an echo that says "This merchant sell weapons with requirements up to level 9" or something like that..

Ugh.. Please no. Would make this game so cookie-cutter and cheesey.

mnjx

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Evaan said:
If we wanted to remove all unrealistic limitations, we should remove the leveling all together, and have a fixed damage for everything without any increase in hit points or damage.

This is a fantasy game, and it follows the RPG genre. It's a classic game that originally had classes, where you as a Rogue could not use Swords or Axes, and Warriors couldn't backstab.

A weapon is a weapon, yes, but the Battle Axe is far greater than the Small Axe. The damage is too great compared to the enemies the player face at say, level 6 or 9.

The battle axe is more meant for when you're attacking foes like orcs and bandits and walking ashes and more.

We level restrict weapons because there is a variation to enemy health and damage.

Leveling and damage are not restrictions. They are how we represent in RPG's getting stronger, being able to swing your sword harder and hurt an enemy more. Even in an RPG Fantasy world, a world where peoples strength and stamina are all numbers and such, weapon restrictions don't fit in. They're not realistic even within such a world.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The weapons restricted beyond your level are too powerful for you to wield depending on what you're facing.

I suppose we could lower quest weapons down to 12 instead of 15, if it irritates so many people.

mnjx

New Adventurer
Reaction score
For me it doesn't matter what level the restriction is. I just don't like it, it's fake. I like the idea of making quest items heavy.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
mnjx said:
For me it doesn't matter what level the restriction is. I just don't like it, it's fake. I like the idea of making quest items heavy.

Agreed. Remove it all together.. weight is a lot more realistic..

There aren't weapon restrictions or classes in real life.. If you want a good game, make it realistic. Not "ZOMG YOUR LEVEL RNT HIGH NUFF CANT USE THIS EVEN IF YOU CAN HOLD IT LOL>>>!!!?! "

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Evaan said:
Someone is always going to be mad when something is "nerfed", because they can't play gods anymore, without seeing the benefits of the nerf, or the consequence of being a god.

Really now, we're talking level 12 and 15 here.

Weight is not more realistic at all. It doesn't make sense if i.e. the Torkalath Blade or the Flamelick weigh more than platemail armor.

You'd be both restricted to pick it up and use at low levels, and you will be crippled at higher levels due to the massive weight while carrying 3-4 quest weapons.

At least you'll be able to overcome the restriction with level requirements.
Areas that require you to use the Great Axe are too strong for a level 15 any ways (although I can see the point if you're 26 Swords, 27 Blunts and 30 Parry, while only 9 Axe).

Also, are you completing the quests with someone twice your level in your party? It doesn't count as easy to get if you're a level 15 tagging along with two or three level 30+.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Heaven forbid one person can't use every weapon in the game at once, 'cause knowing what you're doing with an axe, sword, mace, demonic gauntlets, flaming dagger, and scrolls/tomes of fate altering magic from the second you pick it up is "realistic". If you want realism, there should be a skill catagory for *every* weapon considering in real life (having went through weapons training myself), every single weapon you'll ever pick up you're going to have to learn to use, no matter how much it's like something else you've used.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think all level caps for weapons should be 10.

if a player was to raise a single skill and got that skill to ten, i.e. swordsmanship they would get a special title. "Swordsman -> Sword Master"

If you are a "master", then you should be able to use any weapon of that school.

and I think instead of having a weapon do NO DAMAGE, a weapon which the player isn't "skilled" enough to wield should just have an accuracy roll or xx/90.

raising a weapon skill to ten isn't very difficult, but getting there takes some time. It takes about as much time for any player to get sick of having to grind to use a nice weapon they got w/ a group, or a gift from a high level.

Any weapons so good to "demand" a level requirement at 20 or higher are probably so rare that forcing someone to do something beyond finding it would just be torture.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
^ That there, the level 10 title = mastery thing, at least makes some sense.

As I said, I'm not terribly concerned with people reaching level 20 too quickly. It's keeping them in that 20-30 range for as long as possible is the trick. (And to be honest, I'd rather effort go into adding more stuff to the game than balancing it out, so long as some effort is made so said new stuff doesn't make the situation worse.)

I can't do it from the script end, but I maybe able to rig something up on the hard code end where it says, if the player doesn't meet the weapon level requirements - nerf the hell out of the weapon and warn him, "Ye lack the skill to wield this weapon proficiently" or some such - which may make it a little more "realistic" and we'll have less players suddenly discovering they can't use any of their weapons.

Then again, I used to see a lot of level 10's running around with Great Axes and swearing by them, dispite the fact they had about a 1/5 hit chance.

I'd say you could go ahead and increase the weight on the quest items (although I notice your "great sword" is too heavy for my level 7 knight to hold)... Issue with that is that it'll fux the vets too, and the weight limit is already pretty cruel for n00bs. You'd have to reduce the weight on the n00b weapons or something to compensate.

Revenir

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Just keep the level requirement *Drop some of the ones like the spiderblade down to 10 o.o* but please PLEASE revamp the low end weapons so it feels like they have some oomf and aren't a punishment for being low level.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That weapon master idea is ok.. but I still think that levels caps in any form are ridiculous..

Just remove them, or add the weight.

not everyone voted for this, and now you're gonna have to deal with the bitching.

Revenir

New Adventurer
Reaction score
tehrilez said:
That weapon master idea is ok.. but I still think that levels caps in any form are ridiculous..

Just remove them, or add the weight.

not everyone voted for this, and now you're gonna have to deal with the ****.

Adding weight is a dumb idea, a sword shouldn't weigh 75 lbs becuase it has "magic" on it or becuase its made of "ice". I understand and accept that we should be "skilled" before being able to use more harder to use weapons but the problem lies in with the low-level tiered weapons making me wanna hit babies...that and the fact that theres really no good "low level" map to run through. Yes theres thornlands and what not, but is it fun? Not really.

As I said before, just revamp the low-tier weapons and perhaps get squirrel to get off his lazy ass and make a lowbie map thats interesting and fun to level in?

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How is adding weight a dumb idea?

You think a huge axe made of solid gold weighs the same as a fucking iron dagger? Or something?

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Adding weight is a great idea! It's a good way of balancing a weapon out while leaving the damage-related stats intact. If a weapon is made heavier, be grateful that the damage isn't being nerfed.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Except for the fact that most of the weapons are already balanced out that way, and it adds up fast. You'd wind up paralyzing both a lot of vets and a lot of nubs if you weren't very careful and trying out every combination.

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
No, but axes aren't the only weapon line with powerful weapons.
And what of the bows?

I think level restrictions are great. I have something to look forward to with my character.

Right now, I'm wielding a battle axe in order to be able to use my Rune Axe, and I think it's great.

It's like in other RPGs where you get new skills and abilities as you level, to become stronger in order to fight the tougher monsters.

The more training you get, the further you can push your limit.

As for the low level weapons lacking oomph, I really have no trouble beating down several orcs with my long sword at 10. They go in two strikes usually, unless I hit the low range damage.

The weapons vary in damage differently.

Swords have greater parry (seems broken), and middle ranged damage, and considered fast to sing.

Axes have the highest damage range, but also the ability to dish out the most damage of them all.

Blunts have a much steadier range, but has the lowest maximum damage of them all.

Small arms are a little less damaging as swords, but faster (their secondary attack is broken, sadly).

For reference, the Maul hits for 2 - 2.4, the Battle Axe hits for 0.5 - 4, the Great Sword for 0.9 - 2.9 (but 30% functioning parry) and the Stiletto hits for 0.5 - 2.2, excluding Power modifiers.

They have about equal DPS, but of course, in reality, you can dish out a several massive attacks in a row with the Battle axe, while you're somewhat "stuck" at medium damage with the maul, but you wont be risking a 5 damage instead of 60 damage attack.

At level 6-7 I begin to hit the Dark Caves. I'll have to dodge some attacks and bring potions, but the orcs go down fast, are somewhat slow to attack and provide good experience at low levels. My stop before that are the sewers, as the bats fall much easier and provide equal experience of a boar, which has about twice the health.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm actually having fun again with these restrictions, and I'm not being sarcastic. I actually look forward to leveling and being able to buy the next weapon that I can use :D
(The new names kinda get me excited too like Great sword instead of Bastard sword :eek:)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I actually would vote to have some new weapons with restrictions that maybe even our high levelled players can't use, yet. If ya haven't noticed, once you reach a certain level and get all items, the game gets kinda boring. If you start adding weapons that give high players goals to work to, I think a lot would be happy (I know *I* would be)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'm not, yet. I still have a few skills that I need to train. The lightning rod is certainly making things fun right now ;-)

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
villager said:
I'm actually having fun again with these restrictions, and I'm not being sarcastic. I actually look forward to leveling and being able to buy the next weapon that I can use :D
(The new names kinda get me excited too like Great sword instead of Bastard sword :eek:)

Ah, that's the effect I was hoping for :) I'm glad some people look at it that way.

If we added Classes back, where you can specialize, we could add abilities that you gain based on levels, to give you something to look forward to.

It's as with Dark Age of Camelot (I really bring that up a lot, don't I...) - once I reached level 50, I felt I had very little to look forward to. I found the PvP to be too chaotic and fast too satisfy me.

They saw that, and as expansions came, they added Master Levels and Champion Levels that allows you to specialize in things like Warmaster, and subclass your character (ie. have your Warrior the ability to heal or cast fireballs).

However, I think we need more content and storyline than loot.
While new weapons are great, I also think we need great ways to achieve them (not saying we don't! I love i.e. Wicard Oven).

But you know... the places are really just there. There's no rumours going around about Keledros or Maldora. They're just areas that the game world doesn't seem to know about.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Evaan said:
villager said:

Ah, that's the effect I was hoping for :) I'm glad some people look at it that way.

If we added Classes back, where you can specialize, we could add abilities that you gain based on levels, to give you something to look forward to.

It's as with Dark Age of Camelot (I really bring that up a lot, don't I...) - once I reached level 50, I felt I had very little to look forward to. I found the PvP to be too chaotic and fast too satisfy me.

They saw that, and as expansions came, they added Master Levels and Champion Levels that allows you to specialize in things like Warmaster, and subclass your character (ie. have your Warrior the ability to heal or cast fireballs).

However, I think we need more content and storyline than loot.
While new weapons are great, I also think we need great ways to achieve them (not saying we don't! I love i.e. Wicard Oven).

But you know... the places are really just there. There's no rumours going around about Keledros or Maldora. They're just areas that the game world doesn't seem to know about.

And thats exactly why im not downloading any of the new patches.

It's dumb and we need an option to turn it off.

If you want this mod to become some gay copy of WoW, so be it. I still say adding weight is a much better idea, much more realistic than having to gain "levels" to be able to swing something. Once again, in real life, if you can pick it up, you can SWING IT. Just because theres no level caps doesn't mean you cant change the damage or something at lower levels. Without the ability to turn this stupid shit off, this mod will begin to turn out like all those other gay RPGs, start off as a noob and have to spend the rest of your life killing rats and skeletons till you can swing a dagger.