Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
But is the version I have the latest functional one? :\

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Idea of the day: the system that restores damage points upon reconnect should also be applied to potion effects. Having all your potions go to waste if you overflow because of something is rather annoying.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
That and random kicks when people join on a crowded server... or when someone fucks up your HUD's and leaves while you are doing a hard map. I like this idea. >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Idea of the day: the system that restores damage points upon reconnect should also be applied to potion effects. Having all your potions go to waste if you overflow because of something is rather annoying.
Very difficult... Maybe possible though... Dun think I'd want to add a ton of overhead by storing every applyeffect on the player and the time it's set to expire with the GM's array though. Plus, some of these (like leadfoot or firebrand) aren't apply effects but external calls. Hrmmm...

Not really time to experiment with that if I want to get a patch out soon though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FEB2011 is up...

Check da DOWNLOAD PAGE for linx to da patch.

In the process of updating servers.

Changelog also pending...

(Although for the short, short changelog, I can say: votelock, catacombs, bugfixes galore... But no orc_for yet. :/)

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Loading helena seems to be hard-crashing servers.

EDIT:

Map differs from Blasto's error.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Looks like a file hash error on the FN side... Will fix.

Woulda had changelog up by now, but unexpected alien visitation...

edit: Should be fixed now. (Lodagond-4 and Demontemple may have been doing the same thing, also fixed.)
edit2: Restarted affected RKS servers - looks good now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not quite sure if this is complete, but will do for now:

FEB2011a PUBLIC CHANGELOG:

FEB2011_centerfold.jpg
Cave Dentist - the latest MSC character class

New Stuff

• Darken Bloom (Simulated Auto-exposure fix)
- MSC will "nerf" it's bloom effect with a secondary filter layer that will vary in strength from map to map, and in some cases, from map area to map area.
- You can force this filter to a desired level by setting the cvar ms_bloom_darken to any number higher than 0. Setting it to -1 lets MSC manage the exposure itself.

• choosebloom command
- bind b "choosebloom"
- You can bind b to the choosebloom command, instead of bloom_toggle, allowing you to cycle through several levels of bloom and darkening, including the auto-setting and off. By default, this command now replaces "toggle_bloom", although it will not overwrite your current bind.
- (note that both ms_bloom_level and ms_bloom_darken cvars are affected by this, and should stick properly now.)

• votelock command
- Typing votelock at chat or console with three or more players initiates a vote to temporarily lock the server.
- Upon being locked, the server will gain a special password, and each client will have his password set to match.
- Typing votelock on a server that is already locked will return the current password (which you can give to someone who disconnected, and forgot to write it down, and is now hounding you over the Steam messenger.)
- The lock will end when the player who started the votelock leaves or the map changes.

• Changes to Ammo Stacking System
- Ammo will not stack until you open the container holding the items
- This prevents crashes from withdrawing items from chests and various exploits
- Beware, when drawing a lot of arrows/bolts from a chest, you may need to "shake" your quiver a few times to get all the stacks to form up, by opening and closing it, or you may hit the item limit sooner than expected.

New Maps
• CATacombs by Cat [25-40+]
- This necormancer's cache appears to be abandoned, but the cult's minions and creations live on inside
- Lots of self-adjusting monsters and triggers allow this map to adjust itself for a fairly wide range of power levels. The more players you have, and the more powerful they are, the meaner the creatures, and the better the treasure.
• Sorry still no orc_for :oldcry: - next time, I promise!

Map Updates
• Demontemple - moar spawns
• Lodagond-4 - various attempts to deal with various crash issues
• Helena - f*ck if I can remember. :\

Mapper Toys
• Full developer commands are now open to non-FN servers
- PM the dev staff for details
• Trigger scriptevent can now have parameters sent to them with parsing semi-colons (eg. trigger_burn;50)
- (When using "gm_" events, the first parameter is always the ID of the touching target)
- Remember that, unlike trigger scripts, trigger scriptevents obey touch rules, reset delays, and flags.

• New add params:
• set_poisonous - Creatures with this add param gain a green glow shell, and gives them 10% of their max hp poison DOT for 10 seconds with every attack that hits. (Best for creatures that only have a bite attack.)
• set_no_auto_activate - Normally, creatures that spawn near players automatically cycle up and attack - this overrides that behavior (useful in some situations). They'll still attack as normal, but won't interrupt their normal cycle up routine, so it'll be a bit slower.
• set_self_adj;[adjust down level]
- This will cause the monster to self-adjust upwards, multiplying damage and hitpoints, to deal with more powerful parties based on the total hp on the server. At the moment, there are six tiers, and the multipliers range from x1 to x5. (I'd go into details save for fear that folks would try to exploit them.)
- If the monster is already quite powerful, and a x5 multiplier would, for instance, go far above and beyond anything you could possibly want to throw at the players, you can "nerf" this effect, by following set_self_adj with a semicolon and a number 1-6 (eg. set_self_adj;3). This will cause the monster to adjust itself is if the players strength was several tiers lower, thus effectively capping it's self adjustment.
- When not on FN, you can simulate larger parties of powerful players, by using the "fakehp <xxx>" command. "fakehp 9999" will put all self-adjusting creatures at their maximum allowed tier. (This command will also affect any hpreq properties on msmonster/ms_npc entities.)

• New trigger script events:
• trig_damage;<name>;<dmg>;<dmg_type>
- Similar in behavior to the trigger/trigger_hurt scripts, except this obeys all trigger conventions (eg. "clients only" flag) and does immediate damage, instead of DOT. Beware, however, that death by such a trigger brings with it full death penalties.
- You can use the trigger's reset delay to simulate DOT.
- If the name has spaces in it, encase it 'in single quotes'. Double quotes cannot be used (your map won't compile.)
- examples:
- trig_damage;'Some green slime';10;poison
- trig_damage;'Some hot lava';50;fire
- trig_damage;FUUUUU;100;dark
• ext_darkenbloom;<level>
- This changes the darken bloom filter to the desired level. Very useful if you have maps with bright and dark areas. Find the preferred level using the ms_bloom_darken command.
- Note that the auto-exposure defaults to 1 for most maps, so you can actually brighten your map, by adding a trigger with a scriptvent "ext_darkenbloom;0" property. Note that this has no affect on players with boom disabled, or their ms_bloom_darken set to a level other than -1 (auto). It is also wise to make triggers with this client-only, to save on server resources when monsters cross them. (Has no effect on monsters.)
• ext_dmgpoint_bonus;<amt>
- You can use this to add a damage point bonus to a player that crosses the trigger (presumably a trigger_once).
- It is normally used for aiding events, but can also be employed as a map trigger, in case you want a race, or some such, or give a bonus to players who take a more dangerous route, or reward them for crossing hazards they may have otherwise avoided.

Bug Fixes/Other Changes
• Fixed: ms_bloom_level cvar not sticking
• Fixed: Pets deleting on completion of sorc_villa
• Fixed: eagles DOT doing push (fairly old lack-of-flag issue)
• Fixed: Pharaoh lance leaving creatures immune to stun afterwards
• Fixed: Still snowing in Edana after December. :\
• Fixed: When first created, new characters are invisible on char selection screen.
• Fixed: Both character models are invisible on the gender selection screen.
• Fixed: Weather sticking between maps, if next map has no weather defined
• Fixed: Bearclaws crash
• Fixed: monsters/lost_soul_ice DOT
• Fixed: wrong item scriptnames / obsolete scriptnames in some chests
• Fixed: Various screwyness with Pharaoh Lance, Ice Typhoon, Holy Lance
• Fixed: Cannon on oceancrossing (I hope)
• Fixed: Various force cage issues
• Fixed: Necro note (also consolidated into 2hblunt view)
• Fixed: Captain Ron being as unholy as his namesake
• Fixed: Range issues on some creatures (eg. troll lobbers)
• Fixed: Various poison gas attack crashes (hopefully)
• Fixed: Spam being written out to client error log, causing instability
• Various re-balancing issues, centering mostly among the polearms and forge weapons
• The usual 10,000 bug fixes and balancing tweaks I'm not bothering to write about.

Spoiler Section Begin

New Items/Weapons:
• Morning Star [Req: Bluntarms: 10/15/20]
- Comes in three flavors: Rusty, Vanilla, and Fine
- Originally intended for Orc_For (and it'll still be there eventually), this weapon is provided as part of mapper clamor for a new low to mid level weapon.

• All spells have tomes now - though some can be a bit hard to find still

New Critters:
• monsters/shadow_form [30] - Shadow From (aka. Eldritch Vapor)
- This black mass of black shadow, a variant form of horror, fires lightning bolts and is immune to all but dark and holy weapons

• monsters/spider_snow [15] - Wooly Spider
- This poisonous spider can fire webs that will slow and eventually cocoon opponents.
- Opponents so cocooned will be unable to attack. They may require a pet or other player to rescue them.
- Players rescuing cocoon victims receive a 1000 damage point bonus for the assist.
- Webs slowly fall away over time, but cocoons are permanent until destroyed.
- Wooly Spider takes the following additional parameters:
- set_start_burrowed - begin burrowed under the ground, and pop up when attacked or when players get near (note, the model is under the ground, but not the actual monster).
- set_start_ceiling - Monster starts out crawling on the ceiling. (Do not combine with set_start_burrowed - will look quite odd, as I was too lazy to setup a borrow-in-from ceiling anim.)
- set_can_flip - The spider can periodically flip from the ground to the ceiling or visa versa - use only in a low-ceiling environment. (Works fine with set_start_ceiling)

Spoiler Section End

Ye Download (26.5MB):
MSC Official Downloads Page

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Darn, I want to play, but all the catacomb servers are votelocked...

I could cheat and get the password (anyone with rcon can), but I dun wanna risk smashing the servers. :/

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
ATTN: All mappers: be sure Hammer points to the latest MS:C FGD (it's in .../half-life/msc/dev/).

Thothie said:
Map Updates
• Helena - f*ck if I can remember. :\
Maybe you did something to try and fix the bandit crash issue that Keldorn reported? Just a random guess.

And thanks to you and all those who helped for the patch again! Looks like fun.

Edit: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!1!
Thothie, if you replaced the entire change log with simply "ALL ITEMS NOW HAVE THEIR OWN ICONS", more people than ever would probably download the patch.
This is nothing short of amazing!

Raisonbran648

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Nice patch! Love the new bloom settings and the icons look great! :D
Glad I could help contribute something.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Probably shoulda also mentioned we updated to the November 2010 versions of the cg.dll / ccgGL.dll libaries which may help some issues for Vista/7 users. Doesn't seem to be causing any issues, though the libraries are quite a bit larger than the old ones.

Also, attempted to fix the test_scripts/ folder issue - though I canna duplicate it. Really need to work on that scripting wiki, although it's far enough along that I could put something up, I suppose - just a lotta unwritten articles.

Good news is the additional inventory icons don't seem to be causing anymore texture scrambling than we had before, so maybe it isn't a texture limit issue.

I think we need to take the -num_edicts flags off the RKS servers again - seems no one can connect on Helena.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
New Maps
• CATacombs by Cat [25-40+]
- This necormancer's cache appears to be abandoned, but the cult's minions and creations live on inside
- Lots of self-adjusting monsters and triggers allow this map to adjust itself for a fairly wide range of power levels. The more players you have, and the more powerful they are, the meaner the creatures, and the better the treasure.
• Sorry still no orc_for :oldcry: - next time, I promise!
There is no chance in hell a level 25 character is ever going to get past that mummified warlord. Therefore I think the level range makes no sense at all. Just sayin'.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually I did it solo with my level 22, but you have to exploit the hell out of him (and half the other things on the map). Group of 25's might make it, but that'd trip the level ramper, and realistically, yes, it works out more from 30-40 as "having to exploit the hell out of them", surely doesn't count. ;)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I'm here to say that unholy blade's barrier ability is lame. The recent change it got was nice but i still think that the barrier ability is way too weak for this weapon, i think it needs a dmg boost... :!:

miko2386

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well, i think the shadowfire balde is lame too. Is it possible to make the shadowfire balde do both fire and dark damage? If not i hope the weapon change to do fire damage rather than dark damage since there are many dark weapon already.
or may be combine the first and the second charge? (fire effects and heavy damage)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Seriously wtf, shadowfire blade already does dark dmg and fire dmg? And i prefer having it this way over fire only. Why would people want another useless fire weapon... The only thing i recall seeing bad on shadowfire blade was the damage it dealt, which is kinda low.
Anyways my main goal is unholy blade, since that freaking weapon takes alot more effort to forge than a shadowfire blade.

EDIT: Tbh, infernal claws suck ass aswell, if i were to point out forge weapons that need changes, i would say:
1st) Unholy Blade (barrier dmg + dot dmg from barrier = too weak and useless);
2nd) Infernal claws (they just suck, they really do, no point in using/forging these, i would probably lower this weapon's lvl requirement to 25 or do massive adjustments to make it a lvl 30 usefull item);
3rd) Shadowfire blade (probably needs a decent dmg boost in order to be called "Worthy lvl 30 weapon", the dmg it deals right now isn't much of a difference compared to a nova).

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
You hear that, Thoth? All this effort you put into the game only leads to things that suck ass. How dare you donate all your free time to constantly making inadequate patches :roll:

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
You hear that, Thoth? All this effort you put into the game only leads to things that suck ass. How dare you donate all your free time to constantly making inadequate patches :roll:
You did a great job selectively reading the thread. All this effort Thothie puts into the game also leads to people thanking him. If you opened your eyes, you would have noticed the posts in which people say nice things to Thothie because of the new patches:
Like this one
Or this one
Also this post (from zeus, even)
Oh, this one too
And how about this one
Almost forgot this one
Can't forget this post

People who make stuff for the mod (or anything in general, really) must be able to withstand at least some level of criticism. There are people who turn into big babbys when they are told that what they do is pure ****. Here is a great example. If someone, for instance, posted in the boards that my prefab map is the most worthless MS:C contribution of all time, I wouldn't reply, care, or sleep less about it. Why? Not only have I seen a substantial amount of props from said prefab map in some of the newer maps, I'm also not a big babby who can't handle criticism.

That being said, I don't think Thothie will reply, care, or sleep less about zeus' post, which you somehow manage to translate as "only things that suck ass are implemented into the game".

On the other hand, it is true that zeus was too blunt in wording the problem. I wasn't originally planning to get involved in this, but I do share zeus' concerns and therefore will try to word them in a less offensive manner, in hopes that Thothie will read this instead of zeus' burn post:
  • While the upgrade to the unholy blade's regular and charged hits is very nice indeed (which zeus should have at least mentioned), the general opinion is that the damage done by the shield of darkness is still too low. Sure, it does some really fancy knockback, but a quarter of your Affliction level dark d.o.t. is almost negligible when the shield is being used against high-level monsters in high-level maps. The biggest complaint I've been hearing from others (and I can agree with this) is that the item requirements are way too high. Swiss watches are better than cheapo digital sports watches you can buy in supermarkets, but they are also much, much, much more expensive and in a lot of cases simply overpriced.
  • If you compare the shadowfire blade's damage to that of any other high-level sword, you'll instantly notice that the shadowfire blade's damage is by far the lowest. Of course the dark damage is nice (just about every weapon that does dark damage is a must-have in my book) but the great damage type simply can't compensate for the bad damage.
  • I'll try to say this as neutral as I possibly can: None of the people I know who have infernal claws are using them. This is because - according to zeus - they do about 5% more damage than demon claws, yet they require twice the skill level and a bunch of forge items.

Also, Man In Black, I tested dragooncaves with Furion the other day. Before we even started, I literally said that I am known for generally giving blunt comments and criticism. I even asked him in advance if he wanted me to leave for that. He replied with "nah, it's cool" and we started dragooncaves.
I burned down almost the entire map but I told him how he could improve. Even though I did inform him of things I liked about the map, most of the criticism was negative. This looks really bad, that looks too blocky, the texturing in this room is awful, these cave walls are not nearly convincing enough, the layout makes no sense, every door looks the same, the corridors are the most undetailed I have ever seen, and so on. But Furion thanked me for betatesting the map, and do you know why?
1) I gave him plenty of tips on how to improve
2) I motivated my harsh criticism
3) Furion is not a god damn babby

Also, zeus, maybe you should phrase your thoughts more gently if you really want something to change.
You idiot.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
While the upgrade to the unholy blade's regular and charged hits is very nice indeed (which zeus should have at least mentioned)
=
zeus9860 said:
I'm here to say that unholy blade's barrier ability is lame. The recent change it got was nice but i still think that the barrier ability is way too weak for this weapon, i think it needs a dmg boost... :!:

they do about 5% more damage than demon claws, yet they require twice the skill level and a bunch of forge items.

The 5% was a random guess, the dmg difference won't probably change much if i or you were to calculate.

Also, zeus, maybe you should phrase your thoughts more gently if you really want something to change.
You idiot.

Can't help it, stopped being nice long ago. So it's like i start acting without properly thinking, that's how i am now.
Anyways, my previous posts don't mention that the recent patches suck, just saying that some of the forge weapons are still not worthy to be forged or even used, making the time spent to make them being a waste in the end since no one even uses them.
Like i said previously, you guys should expect that much from me most of the time, it's not like i can help it all the time... So yeah sorry about that post, guess i got carried away by some smartass suggestion! >_>

miko2386

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
Seriously wtf, shadowfire blade already does dark dmg and fire dmg? And i prefer having it this way over fire only. Why would people want another useless fire weapon... The only thing i recall seeing bad on shadowfire blade was the damage it dealt, which is kinda low.
At least fire damage do boost to unholy things, better than now it just do low dark damage now.

And unholy blade, i agree it still need more boost in damage. May be unholy balde can have armor penetration?

Adventurer
Socialist Guild
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
Can't help it, stopped being nice long ago.
that's how i am now.
Like i said previously, you guys should expect that much from me most of the time

Usually I wouldn't really care about your comments because I realize you don't really care about being gentle, but generally when someone acknowledges that "This is who/how I am now" it's a personal decision, indicating they CAN be gentle, but don't really bother trying. I'm fine with that, because I know the zeus equation (level of insult/infinity/0), but newcomers might not be so welcoming to crass comments, so you might want to watch what you say around the forums a bit closer.

And yes I cut the quote down a bit, but just to make a point.