MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
From monday morn (PST) 'till sometime next week I'll be officially kidnapped by aliens, so try not to fill my inbox while I'm out, like y'all did the last time. ;)

I might see about tweaking the restarter so I can drop it in the startup folder and keep the server going during that time. I've gotta host various other services while I'm out anyways. I may even get some work done on all this stuff while I'm out.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
say, when you make a monster "strong" or "very strong" does it give more gold/higher chances of item, and more experience? or is it just a health bonus...be cool if it gave a little damage bonus too ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
say, when you make a monster "strong" or "very strong" does it give more gold/higher chances of item, and more experience? or is it just a health bonus...be cool if it gave a little damage bonus too ;)

No, although I could increase the gold drop for some monsters, it wouldn't work for them all, as they don't all use the same method to determine gold drops. Similarly, I can't increase damage for monsters via global script as the damage variable varies too much from script to script (save for combing through every script and making them conform). There's the possibility that I could add additional 'supplemental' damage via an effect though.

Raptor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The server has crashed on me twice in a row trying to kill the ice djinn... I want my ice blade now.

But seriously, it's done this twice now, once trying to solo it (and dying 30+ times), and once with help from 2 others, the second time we just used fire dart from a certain ledge he couldn't hit us from, it took a while but finally crashed.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The server has crashed on me twice in a row trying to kill the ice djinn... I want my ice blade now.

But seriously, it's done this twice now, once trying to solo it (and dying 30+ times), and once with help from 2 others, the second time we just used fire dart from a certain ledge he couldn't hit us from, it took a while but finally crashed.

I'll play around with Djinn a bit, see if I can get him to crash. His frost effects run on a different system than the others, could be something there...

I still don't get how to set a monsters race >.<

It's a thing for advanced mappers. Not something to be done from the player end.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Public Changelog for September 14th BetaPackage *deep breath*:
New Stuffz
freeze_sphere_poison_thumb.jpg
new arrows: holy arrows/greater - slaughter the unholy with enchanted arrows (greaters depend on your divination skill)
new spell: poison cloud - good damage, large area, long lasting
new spell: acid bolt - high damage, single target
new spell: sphere of ice - freeze multiple targets solid
new swords: Greater/Lesser Ice Blades, Envenomed Blade
new MA: Fire Gauntlets

New Beasties
lord_of_all_bling2.gif
monsters/elemental_fire1 - Fire Elemental
monsters/elemental_ice1 - Ice Elemental
monsters/elemental_ice2 - Greater Ice Elemental
(Greater Fire, Earth Series, Air Series, and Elder elemental series are pending)
monsters/ice_reaver - huge honking beefy beast, these subsists mostly on giant polar bears, supplemented by the occasional wandering adventurer.
monsters/skeleton_ice - decayed ice bone (frostbolts) (sometimes has a stick)
monsters/skeleton_ice_warrior - ice bone warrior (sword with perma-freeze + frostbolts)
monsters/skeleton_ice_enraged - enraged ice bone (axes, frostbolts, + on crack)
monsters/skeleton_ice_lord - ice bone lord (omfgwtfh4x 3 stage boss)
- immune to fire and cold (doesn't need a hazard to back him up)
- stage1: greater circle of frost (plays wid ya)
- stage2: sphere of ice (torchers ya )
- stage3: speed^ + clubs of dewm + regen (no more tricks, just opens a raw can of wupass)
- ...looks so feminine, I'll see if I can find an alien to do the voice for it...
monsters/orc_shaman_fire_turret - stationary fire shaman, as promised
monsters/orc_brawler - huge angry orc armed with large fists (lots of stun atks)
monsters/morc_shaman_ice - Marogar Ice Shaman
monsters/morc_shaman_ice_turret - Same thang, don't move
monsters/morc_shaman_ice_nobliz - You can't use the above two in groups, use these if you want multiple ice shamans
monsters/morc_shaman_ice_turret_nobliz - again, sans the blizzard effect for group therapy.
mosnters/snow_boar1 &2&3 - (model now standard)
[all monster/morc_XXX models are standard as well, including morc_chief]
monsters/troll_fire - Efreet (model now standard)
monsters/djinn_fire - a fire djinn
monsters/djinn_ice - an ice djinn ( use kelerosprelude/troll_djinn for Ji-ax variant )
minibosses/flesheater - BD fix
mscave/Shadahar - traded his frost bolts in for CIRCLE OF DEATH, and a rare reward
- also restored his quest to its original intended setup (difference being: it actually works, but you'll have to figure the details out on your own).
- reads as 'Gold Forged Skeleton' when used on other maps (different reward scheme for generic application)
improved orc_sniper and bandit_hard_archer aim & tactics (also regular bandit, sans tactics)
Map specific
badlands/djinn_fire - Val-Sul the fire djinn (stationary, non-summoning, yet massively overpowered variant on the standard) [map specific triggers]
NPCs/forsuth - Forsuth, the frosty dwarf! [reusable - shop with some arctic survival gear]
outpost/super - Outpost supervisor. [map specific triggers and alerts]

New Pots
gpot_icon.gif
potion of speed - hands-free raven mace effect for 30 mins/1map
potion of protection/greater - 25%/60% damage reduction for 90 mins/1map (does not stack with ice shield)
pot fire resistance - 75% elemental damage reduction, lasts 1 map/90 minutes
pot fire immunity - 100% elemental damage reduction + immunity to effects, lasts 1 map/90 minutes
pot cold resistance - 75% elemental damage reduction, lasts 1 map/90 minutes
pot cold immunity - 100% elemental damage reduction + immunity to effects, lasts 1 map/90 minutes
pot poison antidote - 100% elemental damage reduction, lasts 1 map/90 minutes

New Mapper Toys
weather/make_snow - spawns (invisible), changes weather to snow, removes self (detects as dead by monster spawner, so repeatable)
weather/make_clear - as above, changes weather to clear (ie. removes weather effects)
weather/make_storm - as above, changes weather to storm (ie. rain+lightning)
weather/make_rain - as above, changes weather to rain (ie. "the omfg turn it off!" FPS killah)
weather/settime_day - set your map to day (6:00), removes self, detects as dead by monsterspawn, and is thus repeatable
weather/settime_dusk- as above, but sets map to dusk (ie. sunset 17:00)
weather/settime_night - as above, but sets map to night (20:00)

BugZ Squashed + Odder stuffz
ALL ORCS -> New AI (no more BD, regardless of numbers!), buffed up some of the less used orcs too.
(new AI = too many changes to list)
Buffed basic poison spell a bit
flinch chance / delay fixed
Various lure fixes / prevention of death by friendly fire
Ice shield no longer wastes mana by casting redundantly (mana refund on redundant cast / miss-cast)
buffed all arctic critters hp/attacks (boars/bears/morcs)
Goblin town consistancy now included in beta-package (clients should need nothing else for vanilla maps)
Guards will now defend themselves and come to one anothers aid (try it in Helena - it's fun) - also true of anything on the new AI (orcs, etc)
worked out last of chinks in improved flee system
0x0x0 Bug Fix!!! :oldshock:

...and the usual 10,000 minor changes I'm not bothering to list...

Things I *may* take out time from hard code to do:
- map specific requests / monster variants (providing not too complex)
- crossbow (see below)
- improve flying monster navigation (maybe some traceline trick)
- sploit fixing on existing maps
- lag fixing daragoth (recompile)
- AMX modifications (next major AMX release will be updating to AMX 2006)
Until hard code is fixed (or given up on), future beta packs will only be released to the general public on the
1st of each month (barring, urgent, emergency fix).
Mappers in need of said for testing *may* be able to get theirs sooner, but no promises.

Crossbow
- It's not quite ready yet, but for all of those that have been begging for firearms: EAT THIS! :p
xbow_icon.gif + dwarfbolt_icon.gif =
xbow_smaller.gif

Xbow + Dwarven Explosive Bolt = T3h M3di3val PWn4ge

Full sized movie with sound (3MB):
http://www.thothie.com/msc/xbow.avi
(That would be the first developer video teaser since last year, me thinks...) ;)

...and finally... DOWNLOAD LINKAGE (goes to the beta-pack site)

edits: forgotz stuff.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well... The Greater Ice Elemental, for instance, while you maybe immuned to his special spells and such, you aren't immuned to the raw impact damage, which is 125+ though my bloody DA. (Meaning, around 300 total)... Similarly managed to work it out on Avazool's all ice map so there's enough non-ice attackers to keep you on your toes... Plus immunity potions are hella expensive and hella rare.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It does reset on map change, such potions are only good for 1 map (or less, if you crash and/or take forever). ;)

I don't think one pot covered all of Avzool's map... When I got there, it'd been running for 2.5 hours, and they were just mopping up the second stage of the big boss. Third musta took another half hour at least...

Granted, Avzool's map, somewhat of an extreme example of epic-length. ;)

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Fuck yes, I was waiting for this! Time to play MSC again, now to search these crossbows :X

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Congratulations, Thothie.
As usual, your work is stunning.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
its totally awesome :D
unfortunally findlebind is still human...
was supposed to be an elf... oh well next patch...
its still cool

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Great work Tothie, you are my hero! :D
I can't wait to get my hands one the new beta but, I can't download it, because on your MS:C site there is only a link to the old august4thpatch, isn't it? Or am I blind?

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
hush - go to moddb, theres a news post on the front page with mirrors

Ah, thank you! :)