I have A Few Questions

Jerrid

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have been away for a bit. Just came back to try the new magic system. However after downloading and installing it I have no idea if it actually took. I can still only talk to one of the mages in the temple which is a shame. I have not got far enough to even try dual wielding and I do not see any thing that would suggest magic is in the game. In fact Sebation still says all the magic is gone. I would think the update would not say that...

How do I find out which version I have? Some thing to type into console? If it didn't take this time how do I get the new patch to take?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Um...I would assume that you have an OLDER version then.

Considering one of the starting weapons you can choose is a spell, and the mage shop in town and such.

If you click the DOWNLOAD button on thothie.com/ms , you'll get the newest versionl.

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Make sure you download the game off of the main site. Then goto thothie.com/ms to get the newest patches including a ton of new spells/weapons/fixes.

Jerrid

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes thank you. I just got a new guy to play the game with me, but we were having trouble getting into each other's server. I finally erased all MS and MSC folders and then redownloaded and yes I can play with magic now.

I am not usually emotional with games.... certain ones bring a tear to my eye or a smile to my face or even make me wonder good things about them. This is one such mod. I loved Ever Quest. Eventually I would be bored with it as I do with any other game. Even though I may have only been lvl 27 with only one character and job I just get bored some times. But I have been back to play it many times and that is a good thing. The same can be said for this mod.

And just like the rain with EQ I absolutely love the rain for this mod. It gives me a warm feeling. However... it seems when it gets dark when you go into houses it is darker and really hard to see. Obviously there is no sun shining through the windows, but there are laterns around and also a fire here or there and they simply do not produce the kind of light I would expect. Is it my comp? Even my friend said it was too dark.

The lightning spell which is what I am using is fantastic. I love the way it falls to the palm of your hand and the way it strikes the ground and even when idle you can see your lightning go from your fingers on one hand to the other. However, al though my friend could see the intial lighting hitting the palm of my hand when I called it forth. He could not see however the lightning going between my fingers back and forth. Is that just for the player to see? I would think that would add even more to the game play if others could see it too as well as see people inspecting swords or swinging it imaginarily in the air etc.

Also the lightning spell does not light up the area when calling it forth or casting it. I tried in that cave at the water fountain when you first get out of the temple. Even with a torch here or there it is way too dark especially in the hall ways and the magic did not do any thing to make it brighter. Obviously it is not a torch, but realisticly, fire spell if there is one or lighting gives off light.(If there was such a thing in real life as magic. We both know fire and lighting does in real life.)

Also the players are now saved on a server instead of the players computer right? When he joined my server and we had been around for a bit we decided to go to the Thornlands. However, we were both stuck on the choose your character screen. Mine said my character was saved at Edana... why did it not get transfered to Thornslands? I never had any problems with the older versions? Is it because the game is saved on a server. If so why was it not saved on my server? It never showed it was disconnected, only loading. Was it because it was not a dedicated server?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If yer playing LAN you need to edit your listenserver or server.cfg accordingly (sv_lan 1) - otherwise it will default to server-side on-line characters on map change.

The lighting issues are known, and while I know it is possible to fix them, I've not gotten around to figuring out the details yet. The issue is that the darkness affects ALL light sources (including dynamic ones, like torches) rather than just static light sources. There's an AMX mod that works around this, but it's kinda goofy.

Meantime let it be known you can change the time of day simply by typing settime xx in console (where xx=hour 0-24). Sun rise is at 6, sunset begins at 17, and evening begins at 19. There's also a vote time function on the menu. (Some stores keep hours between 9 and 18)

The electrical fx of lightning are on the viewmodel only - wouldn't know how to apply them to the player model.

The glow spell improves as your SC level increases. (Assuming you are running the betapack). It's pretty faint for the first few levels, but gets gradually brighter until you're a freaking walking super nova at around level 12.

Jerrid

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
If yer playing LAN you need to edit your listenserver or server.cfg accordingly (sv_lan 1) - otherwise it will default to server-side on-line characters on map change.

You mean LAN as in me and a buddy in the same room on two different computer connected together? I have no idea where he lives, I just started a server and he came in, but when we tried to go to another area it said we couldn't and our characters were in the previos area.

Does what you say work for friends playing online on a home made server that we create on the whim as in not a dedicated server or are we screwed?

And how exactly do I change it any way? I am computer illiterate. Do I change it in the console? Do I change it from the MSC folder with word pad? And if I change it and than want to play on a dedicated server do I have to change it back to what was original?

[This is getting longer and longer each time I edit it. But I just clicked on your dedicated server link. With the way you do it do you have to have a second computer that does nothing, but run the game? I mean you can not play any other HL games or search the web etc right?]

Also I was not talking about the lightning spell seeming to be small. I was talking about in a dark cave the lighting it self does not give off light. Like in an XBOX game when you fire lasers the lasers light up the walls as it travels along it. I am not sure if HL1 can produce such an effect and it really isn't needed, I was just trying to cheat the darkness because it was so dark.

It would be nice to have that light from torches fixed though... or maybe have another character with night vison... elf... orc... hahaha. And why does the girl still have a beard? Hahaha. Also about the torches if you fixed that maybe the lightning spell would have the lighting effect I am talking about.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't think lightning provides any ambient light atm (oddly enough) - fireball, however, does. Neither provides nearly so much light as Glow, of course. I could set that up, but it would add more edicts, which might be a bad idea given how rapidly lightning fires.

Hosting game server's is no small task for the computer illiterate. (Sometimes, it's not too fun for us literate folks either.) I'd strongly suggest finding an [FN] server and joining that with your bud, thus saving the headache.

You CAN run an Dedicated Server, and your game on the same computer. It does, however, complicate things slightly, and hampers performance some. How much depends on your system specs - in some cases performance is better than with a regular Listen Server, in others, not so much so. If you read the HLDS Tutorial in detail, you'll see that it tells you to use port 27016 so you can do this.

A LAN game usually consists of two or more computers in the same house. If you've no idea where the guy lives, odds are you are using an Internet Game. If your characters are vanishing on map changes in an internet game, than the issue lies in the type of character storage you've set up on your server (or, rather, have not setup). The three types are:
- Client Side (each computer keeps track of its own characters)
- Server Side (the host keeps track of characters)
- Central Server ([FN] - Fuznet keeps track of characters)
For detailed information as how to set your listenserver.cfg for this see:
http://www.msremake.com/wiki/index.php/ ... own_server

You'll need to find your listenserver.cfg (in your msc folder) and edit it with Notepad and add/edit the appropriate cvars. If you have trouble finding your MSC folder, you may use this utility

You can use the sample server.cfg found in the HLDS Tutorial as your listenserver.cfg (replace the whole thing with it), but it will set you up as an [FN] server, meaning you'll be able to use your characters on other [FN] servers, but you can't host cheatmaps and the like, or they'll be deleted.

Does what you say work for friends playing online on a home made server that we create on the whim as in not a dedicated server or are we screwed?

I think all the servers that are running (with the possible exception of Hell's Diner) are "Home Made". A good deal of the transitory ones are Listen Servers - meaning, they clicked on "Establish a Kingdom" in console, rather than setting up a real Dedicated Server. Generally, even for a listen server, you do need enough knowledge to find your MSC folder, and edit the .cfg's though.