How much bandwidth to run a server?

Aglar

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My connection is 10 mbps downstream, but only like 768 kbps upstream. I have a selection of old systems I could run a server on, but do I have enough upstream bandwidth? I'd really like to be able to contribute, since there don't seem to be many servers. Even if it's just a 4 person server or something, it'd be better than nothing.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Should handle a 4 person server okay, assuming the CPU can handle the game (this is by far the most CPU intensive game to host around). However, you can also get away with a fair amount of lag in this game, since hit registry between players isn't a major factor.

Aglar

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It'll probably be running on an Athlon XP 1700 with 512 mb of ram. Should be enough for four players, shouldn't it?

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Should be enough, would be nice to have more dedicated servers up.

Aglar

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Great. I think the motherboard in that system needs to be replaced, but I should be able to get something going soon.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thought we took care of that problem...

...although Daragoth is going to be laggy regardless (lest I do a re-compile and distro it) the other orc maps should be fine on the latest patch.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Only for a four player server? :(

One of the downers I suppose with MSC is that we can't play on a twenty player server w/o lag... it's all good anyways I guess, since most quest are easy enough to beat solo :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's not just the lag... With more than eight players, the monsters simply get overwelmed by t3h pow4h.

I remember back in MS 1.35 (which was MUCH more CPU friendly) we had 12 and 16 player servers. Gads, with 16 players on, you were very hard pressed to even find something you could kill in Thornlands that didn't already have four other players jumping it, not fun.

I was running a 10 player server back then, on a puter with half my current server's power (said current server can barely handle 8 players in MSC), and in addition to that, I was running a 12 player Wizard Wars server on the same system at the same time, and a 12 player beta NS server. Never had any CPU issues, even with two servers full (a little with all three) - although the lack of bandwidth tended to make the servers quite laggy none-the-less.

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I just wanted to point out that i have about a 250-300 kbps upload and i could comfortable host 4-5 players, sometimes 6. It was running on a p4 2.4 with 1gig ram. the cpu never got above 50% (excluding daragoth of course) and never got above 250-300mb ram. My *guess* is that you could run 8-10 players, but the only way to find out is to try!

Aglar

New Adventurer
Reaction score
HobbitG said:
I just wanted to point out that i have about a 250-300 kbps upload and i could comfortable host 4-5 players, sometimes 6. It was running on a p4 2.4 with 1gig ram. the cpu never got above 50% (excluding daragoth of course) and never got above 250-300mb ram. My *guess* is that you could run 8-10 players, but the only way to find out is to try!
Alrighty, I'll experiment a bit when the mobo comes in.